anyone recognise this - STOLEN?

Gear gone astray ...
outdoordan

anyone recognise this - STOLEN?

Post by outdoordan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:59 pm

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks- ... 1284147929

Something dodgy going on here.

Too good to be true... I contacted the man with a view to going and having a look. Seeing if he was on the level. Turns out the boat is not in Cardiff as advertised but in Aberdeen.

My brother lives in Aberdeen so I said he'd pop round and asked for a phone number.

Not received a response to that message nor do I expect one.

If this has been robbed I hope it gets back to its rightful owner.

My instinct tells me there is no boat and the guy just has some photos. He's trying to get cash wired to him then disappear.

Thoughts anyone?

Northern Blue

Re: anyone recognise this - STOLEN?

Post by Northern Blue » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Link doesn't work for me, or the advert might have been removed...." 404 Error page doesn't exist " and they put a picture of a cat in a tie instead.

outdoordan

Post by outdoordan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:32 pm

yup. they've pulled the ad

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm

I didn't see the advert before it was pulled, but definitely dodgy. It may not have been a stolen boat, but a common Gumtree scam: they never had a kayak at all - just a picture to entice punters to do a bank transfer of the money. They tell you it's miles away and that they've got someone coming round who is keen to buy it. The idea is to get punters to agree to do a bank transfer of the money to secure the boat for themselves. I came across this with a scammer selling Stone Roses tickets who, conveniently, lived on the Isle of Man. They stated in the advert that they would only sell the ticket face-to-face with cash, but that was just to make it look legit - they were counting on desperate punters to try to do the transaction via bank transfer. Typically, they only want to communicate via text message or Gumtree messages to disguise the fact that they're not in the UK.

outdoordan

Post by outdoordan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 pm

Sounds about right Damo.

I did a google image search and dragged up an image from the advert just in case anyone recognises it.

Image$_86 by Dan