Sport England and funding the Angling Trust

Inland paddling
dougoutcanoe

Sport England and funding the Angling Trust

Post by dougoutcanoe »

Did you know that the Angling Trust receives funding from Sport England? Last year it was £1.8 million and has been in excess of £1 million for a few years.

Why?

I am sure that the AT's persistence in seeking the exclusion of all activities, other than fishing, on our nations waterways is against the ethos of Sport England's philosophy - Sport for All.

I have contacted Sport England asking for an explanation of how an organisation that is openly against canoeing, can be funded by a sports organisation?

Doug

DaveBland

Re: Sport England and funding the Angling Trust

Post by DaveBland »

Remind me to never play you at chess.
dave

dougoutcanoe

Post by dougoutcanoe »

But it would be such fun!!!

Doug

nikhoward

Post by nikhoward »

dougoutcanoe wrote:Did you know that the Angling Trust receives funding from Sport England? Last year it was £1.8 million and has been in excess of £1 million for a few years.

Why?

I am sure that the AT's persistence in seeking the exclusion of all activities, other than fishing, on our nations waterways is against the ethos of Sport England's philosophy - Sport for All.

I have contacted Sport England asking for an explanation of how an organisation that is openly against canoeing, can be funded by a sports organisation?

Doug
Hi Doug,

A very good question, I will look forward to the reply.

Cheers,

Nik

NathanE

Post by NathanE »

dougoutcanoe wrote:
Why?

Doug
Let's not be naive. It might have something to do with the fact that angling is afaik the biggest participation sport/pastime in the UK. £1m isn't a huge amount of cash in this grant giving world either. I think that the BCU gets substantially more for far fewer participants.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

This is the legal wing of the sport if I'm correct? I assume other national angling bodies also recieve funding?

I've no problem with an angling sports body receiving funds from sport England, but it seems odd that they're giving funds to a bunch of lawyers...
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Strad

Post by Strad »

Jim Pullen wrote:This is the legal wing of the sport if I'm correct? I assume other national angling bodies also recieve funding?

I've no problem with an angling sports body receiving funds from sport England, but it seems odd that they're giving funds to a bunch of lawyers...
I thought paying lawyers was a significant part of modern life - I'm sure if I'd gone that route I would earn more then as an engineer. :-)
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

That the money is given to support angling is not the issue, they should after all receive equal support to any other "sport". However here the issue is that the money is being given to an organisation that actively seeks to ban any other perfectly legal activity on the rivers.

chriscw

Post by chriscw »

NathanE wrote:
dougoutcanoe wrote:
Why?

Doug
Let's not be naive. It might have something to do with the fact that angling is afaik the biggest participation sport/pastime in the UK. £1m isn't a huge amount of cash in this grant giving world either. I think that the BCU gets substantially more for far fewer participants.

Angling has rather fewer active participants than either boating in general or paddling in particular, only a million or so rod licences and as is the case with paddlers and most mass participation sports most of them not particularly active! Most paddlers remember are not BCU members, just as few anglers are involved with the Angling Trust.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

dougoutcanoe

Post by dougoutcanoe »

My point is highlighted in SimonMW post, that an organisation that is actively and openly trying to STOP canoeing and other non-angling activities, should not be receiving funding from a Sports organisation.

I do not object to the funding but the attitude of the organisation against other sports.

Canoeing is accepted to have about 2 million active participants, so, is numerically superior to angling participants.

Doug

chriscw

Post by chriscw »

dougoutcanoe wrote:My point is highlighted in SimonMW post, that an organisation that is actively and openly trying to STOP canoeing and other non-angling activities, should not be receiving funding from a Sports organisation.

I do not object to the funding but the attitude of the organisation against other sports.

Canoeing is accepted to have about 2 million active participants, so, is numerically superior to angling participants.

Doug
I suspect that the Angling Trusts 'pitch' when asking for public fund may try to emphasise a supposed role in promoting angling or promoting angling interests. Where or not this would be a downright deceptive pitch is another matter.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

dougoutcanoe

Post by dougoutcanoe »

I have a reply from Sport England.

Rather mealy mouthed but...

Sport England wrote,
...............................................................................................................................................
Thank you for your enquiry. We fund the Angling Trust to increase participation and to improve and maintain their talent development systems within England. Both organisations submitted an application for funding for the period 2013-17 which have been rigorously assessed and our Board has taken the decision to fund a specific set of activities within the sport.

We are not a regulator of sport and therefore cannot intervene in disputes that do not concern our funding. The issue of rights to water and access is complex and any enforcement of, or changes to, current legislation are not within the remit of Sport England.

We encourage our funded national governing bodies of sport to work together on shared issues and we will continue to work with the AT and BCU to strengthen their relationship.

Regards

Melina Greensmith
.......................................................................................................................................................
Doug

joules

Post by joules »

I wonder what Sport England are doing to lubricate the relationship wheels between the AT and BCU ? Are there minutes of meetings held that Sport England may have chaired between the bodies ?

Surely, also any issues that prevent the development of both sports is an area that Sports England need to become involved with otherwise the ROI on their investment will be reduced. Accountants will not like that factor.

Jules

NathanE

Post by NathanE »

dougoutcanoe wrote:My point is highlighted in SimonMW post, that an organisation that is actively and openly trying to STOP canoeing and other non-angling activities, should not be receiving funding from a Sports organisation.

Doug
point accepted about preventing other users, but there is a real risk of underestimating participation in finshing:

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Time ... time-high/
And when it came to the numbers going fishing, results were staggering:

6.1m people have been freshwater or sea fishing in the past two years
4.2m people have been freshwater fishing in the past two years
1.9m people have been sea fishing in the past year (up to 2.8m in past two years)
4.9m anglers have been fishing in the last 10 years, but not the past two.

I'm not a fishing apologist, but just want to point out that if you want to fight a battle, first make sure that you understand your enemy.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

If the BCU stated (or pushed to their membership) that paddlers should at every possible opportunity disrupt fish and anglers when on the river with the intention of stopping cruelty to said fish, do you think Sport England would consider removing the funding for paddling development? I'm sure the Angling Trust would be pushing them to do just that.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

If you want to be specific, then most of the problems are with Game Fishermen (Trout & Salmon) - why should the thousands (million?) Coarse and Sea anglers (and kayak anglers) be tarred with the same brush?

I've paddled past more amiable fishermen than I have aggressive ones, and when fishing I've seen more amiable paddlers than ones that go out of their way to get in mine (but it does happen).

To be honest it's totally irrelevant - it matters not one jot how much "support" fishermen get compared to kayak/canoeists. Most anglers will never see a penny of it. Also, don't ignore the good causes that Angling supports (arguably just as many, if not more, than our hobby), that'd probably get hit first in any funding cuts.

If they pick a fight reference access/disturbance then by all means deal with it, but I can't see the point in lumping them all together - much as we don't like being lumped in with the boatloads of drunken hen and stag parties that career down the river p*ssing everybody off - technically they're canoeists, and when they fill in a survey they'll boost our numbers.

I must admit, my camera club never gave two hoots how much funding the astrology club got, even though they didn't like us using the hall on a Thursday!

C
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

dougoutcanoe

Post by dougoutcanoe »

NathanE

I based my figures on annual rod licences for freshwater fishing. The statistics? you show are unreliable.

Sea angling has not, to my knowledge, tried to claim the sea to be solely for them.

I have no problem paddling past friendly or, at least, none aggressive anglers, sitting quietly on a river bank or lake shore. I agree, they are in the majority.

Organisations that illegally try to stop my canoeing activities and go out of their way to make life unpleasant in my leisure time are unwelcome.

When Ministers of our Government make comments that support minority associations in their illegal activities, something must be done.

Sorry for going off topic,

Doug

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”