Norway Advice Please

Inland paddling
chyavan

Norway Advice Please

Post by chyavan »

Hello,
Trying to organise a trip to Norway in late July or August this year. Any advice would be great, water levels at that time of year?
Has anyone flew to Oslo and hired a car? Any cheap car hire places which are kayak friendly?
Or is it cheaper to take the long drive from Calais?
Accommodation, location or any other advice would be great.
Many Thanks
Chyavan

Strad

Re: Norway Advice Please

Post by Strad »

The times when I've been we took a ferry to Goteburg and drove from there.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

TomOL

Post by TomOL »

We drove from Esbjerg in Denmark. Wasn't too bad in terms of drive time, though the ferry from Harwich wasn't the cheapest. As for where to go in Norway, Simon Westgarth is probably the man to ask.

freddie

Post by freddie »

I've done most ways out there, and the cheapest (if you're not worried about time) is to load up a car and drive from Calais, and get the Hirsthalls ferry to either Kristiansand or Larvik depending on what ferrys are available.
Hiring a car isn't that cheap, and roofracks are always an issue (a beanbag works well!), but it is possible.

As for where to go/stay etc. just give me a message here/FB and I've got a big list of stuff.
Lee Royle
Adventure Blog

FamilyVan

Post by FamilyVan »

Fly Norwegian Airlines from Gatwick to Oslo (North). Taking Boats cost about £26 each way & hire cars with roof tacks from Rent a Wreck. Simple as they say....

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

Freddie's driving route amongst others is the more popular option, the ferry from the UK via Holland or Sweden or Denmark can work but is often expensive. Flying with Norwegian is a fair option, a budget airline that not at all budget. Rent-a-wreck have good cars, but normally charge by the Km, after a lower per day fee, or you can opt for the higher rate, and drive as far as you wish.

The Germans traditionally come in August, you might miss a few of the early snow melt runs, but will have a bunch more rivers to run, that are simply too high early season. You can wild camp in the forest at the same spot for 2 nights in a row, which is normally about the right amount of time to hit up the local runs in that area. If it's raining a lot, hire a cabin (Hytter) on a camp site, normally 100nok a night for the basic option. Gene17 is located at the Sjoa Kayak Camp in the Sjoa Valley, where we have a large camp site plus dorms. Sjoa is a popular spot to start your trip from, getting into the style of clear yet powerful whitewater.

Take it easy at the beginning and build up to running harder stuff, the nature of the runs, are longer, more powerful and sustained compared to the Alps, plus the normally clear water can fool people into thinking its low conditions, when it is often not.

Good luck and I am sure to see you this summer.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”