Wavesport Recon 83 advise

Inland paddling
Mark Dixon

Wavesport Recon 83 advise

Post by Mark Dixon »

My lad demod a recon 83 this weekend in reasonably big water but it scratched up quite quickly with hardly any rocks, I have spoke to someone who suggested its a soft but thick plastic on Wavesports, can anyone with one with a Recon advise on this?
Thanks,

Mark

boom

Re: Wavesport Recon 83 advise

Post by boom »

Mark Dixon wrote:My lad demod a recon 83 this weekend in reasonably big water but it scratched up quite quickly with hardly any rocks, I have spoke to someone who suggested its a soft but thick plastic on Wavesports, can anyone with one with a Recon advise on this?
Thanks,

Mark
Must have been some rocks as water doesn't scratch plastic!!
Never had any issues with my Habitat plastic though (from rocks anyway, there was a warranty issue around cockpit rim though)

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

boom wrote:
Mark Dixon wrote:My lad demod a recon 83 this weekend in reasonably big water but it scratched up quite quickly with hardly any rocks, I have spoke to someone who suggested its a soft but thick plastic on Wavesports, can anyone with one with a Recon advise on this?
Thanks,

Mark
Must have been some rocks as water doesn't scratch plastic!!
Never had any issues with my Habitat plastic though (from rocks anyway, there was a warranty issue around cockpit rim though)
Upper Dart at 3rd Arch hasnt that many rocks hence the concern, he says boats lovely but cut up very easily.
Thanks for reply.

Robbie C

Post by Robbie C »

Hi Mark, I saw your lad carrying the boat to the carpark. It looked very shiny & if it's like that on the hull as well as the deck then the scratches will be more noticable.
I've had a Wavesport Diesel for a number of years & paddle the loop with it's many rocky rapids frequently. I've never considered it to be a weak point in the design, maybe more flexible than in some designs but assuming the plastic hasn't changed since then it seems to be fine.
Hope that helps? Rob C.

P.s. How was the boat? Any good?

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

Thanks Robbie,
I'll question Ewart at AS, it feels a softer plastic but maybe because its very shiny and new, hes got a couple other boats to try but needs to replicate this weekends levels to test properly.
Mark

Andy H

Post by Andy H »

I have paddled Wavesports for years now and i have had a Recon now for about 6 weeks. Yes they do mark up quite a lot but this is normal. The plastic is really thick especially the Recon has it has had the bow reinforced with extra plastic for impact resistence. This is one reason the Recon is quite heavy with thicker hull plastic and the superior outfitting.

Also who wants a shiny boat it needs to look like you have taken it down some knarl. (-;

Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

AS Watersports

Post by AS Watersports »

Hey Mark,

Brand new One just arrived here in Ecuador. I'll tell you how it looks after a week.

I'll get to paddle it one day this week

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

AS Watersports wrote:Hey Mark,

Brand new One just arrived here in Ecuador. I'll tell you how it looks after a week.

I'll get to paddle it one day this week
That you Liam? Let me know how you get on with it, Sam really likes it but gotta try a couple others to be sure, Remix 69 and Stomper 80.
I noticed it is a heavy boat and figured a lot of extra weight at front (good), he said it handles well and goes exactly where you point it and hardly broke a sweat at 3rd Arch yesterday, Solo, which I wasnt overly happy about but tbh I was Solo on Loop.
Video below if you fancy watching

Mark

Chris C

Post by Chris C »

Mark the first thing I see is a seal launch off Granite boulders, that will take big scratches out of any boat!

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

Chris C wrote:Mark the first thing I see is a seal launch off Granite boulders, that will take big scratches out of any boat!
Thats the reason, I wondered what it was ;) Chris the rocks in Dart are very shiny and rounded, they don't really affect the boat much tbh, I am happy with the answers given above and sure its just its a bit shiny so sticks out a lot, I do remember being gutted with my 1st couple of trips in my brand new Nomad when it was lower levels.
Thanks guys,
Mark

Stopper

Post by Stopper »

Mark Dixon wrote:
Chris C wrote:Mark the first thing I see is a seal launch off Granite boulders, that will take big scratches out of any boat!
Thats the reason, I wondered what it was ;) Chris the rocks in Dart are very shiny and rounded, they don't really affect the boat much tbh,
Thanks guys,
Mark

That is defiantly an interesting description! Don't thing I have heard of granite being kind on boats before

They might be rounded but still are pretty course and rough. Might just be me but I always feel my boat comes of worse after trips to the south west than other areas of the uk. In normal paddling conditions as well, if you get on a low river then it's only fair to expect a lighter boat.

But that seal launch looks anything but kind.

Just on a side note, might be me but it seems that there is a really narrow grip on the paddles. Might be the go pro making it look narrow though.

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

No its not the GoPro, he holds his paddle very close together, a lazy paddler! He tells me he paddles when he needs to, I think theres quite a few paddlers hold it similarly close, some have tried to coach it out of him but not worked yet, lol

W5RAY

Post by W5RAY »

Hi Mark, I've had a few Wavesports and the last couple have been Habitats - the latest was bought last July - I would say that the plastic does seem a bit softer on the underside but the boat so far seems really solid. I would think that the plastic hasn't changed much since July (and mine was freshly imported) from the Habitat to the Recon. When new you seem to notice every big or small scratch, some deeper than the others but after a while they do blend in. I have had no performance issues and not unduly worried about the quality or strength of the plastic. The nose of my H is solid and although have nicked it a few times (and also most of the underside) there are no issues.
When paddling it new at the Dart, lapping just over the ledge, the aftermarth of scratches and digs surprised me, yup I did run some rocks but not that many surely???, still after the initial concerns I have no worries about the boat/plastic now.
Will be looking to test/buy a Recon later this year!
Hope this helps.

Ray

Michael Hatton

Post by Michael Hatton »

Mark Dixon wrote:No its not the GoPro, he holds his paddle very close together, a lazy paddler! He tells me he paddles when he needs to, I think theres quite a few paddlers hold it similarly close, some have tried to coach it out of him but not worked yet, lol
Strokes are all forward strokes though.

Try the Remix 79 not the smaller one i loved mine and would have another.
On that note Karnali or Everest aswell.

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

Michael Hatton wrote:
Mark Dixon wrote:No its not the GoPro, he holds his paddle very close together, a lazy paddler! He tells me he paddles when he needs to, I think theres quite a few paddlers hold it similarly close, some have tried to coach it out of him but not worked yet, lol
Strokes are all forward strokes though.

Try the Remix 79 not the smaller one I loved mine and would have another.
On that note Karnali or Everest aswell.
Hi Michael, hes only about 70 kg so probably all too big, hes not keen on the wideness of knees on the Pyranhas, outfittings a bit poor as well.
Ewart at AS is sorting out the Stomper and Remix to try, tomorrow would have been good as its forecast mental down here.

Michael Hatton

Post by Michael Hatton »

[/quote]
Hi Michael, hes only about 70 kg so probably all too big, hes not keen on the wideness of knees on the Pyranhas, outfittings a bit poor as well.
Ewart at AS is sorting out the Stomper and Remix to try, tomorrow would have been good as its forecast mental down here.[/quote]

I weight 65kg wasn't an issue for me in the 79. But i couldn't stand the shiva M or L so its preference.

WRK

Post by WRK »

My goodnes am I seeing a lot of stompers breaking.

I've been tempted by the remix before but I think he and I would prefer the forgiveness of something with a little more volume in the back.

The jefe is now good value.

I'mnot sure if itsmy imagination bit all new creek boats are heavy(shiva recon mamba etc)

I'm just about to sell my 2nd Shiva unless the recon dazzles me next week I'll be ordering a Shiva again.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

Hiya Mark,
I thought your lad had a Mamba? What's wrong with that?

:-/

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

Kayak-Bloke wrote:Hiya Mark,
I thought your lad had a Mamba? What's wrong with that?

:-/
Hi Nige, He went over on the Upper and pulled his shoulder, couldnt roll up so had to bail, I had to take him to A&E. Boat has taken a large wack to nose and general damage not good, unless I can make a nosecone its unusable on white water. Probably use it for flatwater coaching only.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

He didn't fancy another Mamba then, I thought it had served him well...?

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

Kayak-Bloke wrote:He didn't fancy another Mamba then, I thought it had served him well...?
It tends to wander a bit in bigger water apparently, I dont have any bother with it and loved it, but I'm not running big water, lol

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”