Cranked or 0 dergree feather

Inland paddling
Mark Dixon

Re: Cranked or 0 dergree feather

Post by Mark Dixon »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72747745@N ... /lightbox/
Above is a photo of a classic low brace with feathered paddles. With a zero degree paddle would the right blade not be in a much better position for a recovery stroke if it was needed? I am used to a 30 degree feathered paddle but as I low brace a lot would a zero be a better option?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

I reckon the change of wrist angle is instant and happens at the same time as any movement of the paddle blade into the bracing position, meaning it's not an issue.
dave

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl »

If I am reading this correctly, people are saying that if the feather is correct, the paddle doesn't rotate within the grip of either hand ? And that for a zero-feather paddle it must rotate within the grip ... But how can this be right for both right and left handed paddlers ?

And for the original questioner, get a paddle with a variable centre joint. I have a Select W1 paddle and the centre can be adjusted to any feather, so it would be easy to try out any angle (including zero). In fact, if I fail to tighten the allen key enough, the paddle will do this for me somewhat at random (only happened once after I'd had it apart to fly home from a trip:-). I can vouch for the fact that you can then change the feather whilst underwater to get just the angle you want to roll up...

Andy

WaterStillScaresMe

Post by WaterStillScaresMe »

My contribution... ignore anyone who tells you that they have the answer....

Take a look at YOUR own PERSONAL paddling.
Get some advice on what might be causing discomfort (given that the arm has less than obvious structures - like the fingers being controlled primarily by muscles in your lower arms - or finger numbness being caused by wrist problems).
Watch whether your wrists are bent away from straight at any point - this compresses certain internal bits (nerves/tendons).
Watch whether your wrists are bending back and forth as you paddle - could the movement be an issue?
Watch whether your wrists are bent to extremes at any point.
Watch whether you do finger movement, particularly whilst wrists are bent - this is an important issue (see note about muscles in arms above - tendons run through the wrist).
Now have a think about what your shoulders and elbows do and whether you have any issues with these - as far as I can see feathering is probably more about shoulder/elbow position than wrists unless you paddle rather oddly - and personally I'll completely ignore any advice which doesn't at least consider shoulders!
Consider what you spend most time doing with a paddle (not how you paddle occasionally during exciting bits of an exciting trip). I think that the feather angle is as much about the angle you hold the paddle at as anything else (e.g. towards vertical for power in a short boat or more horizontal for gentle sea paddling).
Consider using a second set of paddles to so that you spend half your time paddling differently.
Consider whether letting go of the paddle more often might help (or maybe make things worse) - or whether warming up differently might help?
And think about what else you do outside paddling which might contribute.

Remember that there are a very large number of people out there who will be absolutely sure that the particular change they made is what sorted their problem out when in reality any change might be what helped.

DanH

Post by DanH »

geyrfugl wrote:If I am reading this correctly, people are saying that if the feather is correct, the paddle doesn't rotate within the grip of either hand ? And that for a zero-feather paddle it must rotate within the grip ... But how can this be right for both right and left handed paddlers ?
With zero feather, there is no left and right handed paddlers! You are left or right handed depending on which blade is doing the work.

WaterStillScaresMe wrote:Remember that there are a very large number of people out there who will be absolutely sure that the particular change they made is what sorted their problem out when in reality any change might be what helped.
I didn't have a traditional paddle related problem per se, I switched to zero feather due to a severe hand injury. I also switched to cranked at the same time, but not because of my wrists, it was because my hand after the reconstruction was a different shape and holding a cranked paddle simply put my hand in a better position.

In order to do every stroke in kayaking, there is always wrist rotation. What a zero feather paddle does is makes the rotation the same for both strokes (ie. the left and right variant). Think of the left and right wrist rotations made when doing a left and right hand bow rudder with a 45° right handed feathered paddle, now consider the same stroke with a zero feather paddle. The wrist rotation for the right hand stroke is the same, but the right hand wrist rotation for the left hand stroke is reduced and the left hand wrist is at the same rotation as the right wrist is for a right hand stroke.

freddie

Post by freddie »

I think the key thing here is to not chop your thumb off.
Lee Royle
Adventure Blog

Glyn B

Post by Glyn B »

If we all paddled zero to begin with, taking into account the advantages: no control hand, identical movements for strokes etc, do you think people would be inclined to even try a feathered paddle or would it be dismissed as a strange anomaly?

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba »

Just my personal findings with no expert knowledge.

My paddling is Surfing and general playboating/messing about on rivers.

First paddle half decent paddle was a straight shaft 45 degree feather, performed well.

Second paddle, same paddle adapted to a 0 degree feather, I preferred the paddling but over time started to get a very minor ache/pain in my left hand after hard surf sessions.

Third paddle, A popular make with a straight shaft and 30 degree feather, found it ok but not quite right for me.

Fourth paddle, home made setup using a straight shaft and popular blades. Put right hand blade and hand grip locator on shaft and glued in place, once dry loosely fitted left hand blade and did a lot of air paddling and tweaked the left hand blade until the least amount of wrist rotation was required for a good paddle stroke both ways. Glued it all together and its approx 15 degrees feather. For me it works well. Hope the info is of use to some one.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”