Scary swim

Post by Mark R »

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Possum

Re: Scary swim

Post by Possum »

Was all okay in the end?

Edit: Just saw the youtube description, scary!
Last edited by Possum on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ion

Post by ion »

That gorge has a well deserved reputation it seems. Ugly geology. Never did get to paddle it though.

paddletastic2

Post by paddletastic2 »

Wow!

Not plesant, 32 seconds underwater and a long distance travelled.

Uisce

Post by Uisce »

paddletastic2 wrote:Wow! Not plesant, 32 seconds underwater and a long distance travelled.
...which is why it surprised me that the rescue boat (towing) didn't 'seem' to attempt to keep him in the relative calm of the upper eddy to recover, before commiting to the downstream journey. Perhaps it was trickier than my reading of the water suggests on video.

sprintpaddler

Post by sprintpaddler »

Bloody hell!!

Cha0sSt0rm

Post by Cha0sSt0rm »

sprintpaddler wrote:Bloody hell!!
Seconded.

Poke

Post by Poke »

This kind of reminds me of a swim I saw when I was working as a safety kayaker in Peru in 2003.

The rapid was a wave train into a huge rock that had fallen into the river, and split into a few pieces, creating narrow (and no doubt very deep) cracks which ran through it. It was perfectly runnable, but the rafts portaged it due to a fatality a few years previously (some of the cracks contained siphons). They portaged by running the wave train and breaking out in a large eddy above said rock.

As the guide was looking the other way, a punter fell out of the raft on the wave train. When he looked round she was nowhere to be seen. I was standing on the rock 30m downstream and looked round when I heard shouts, worked out quite quickly that someone was in the water but couldn't see them either...

They too popped up a long way downstream of the rocks I was standing on. Just close enough though that I managed to get my rope to her and claim rescue beers :-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

tambakosi

Post by tambakosi »

Poke wrote:This kind of reminds me of a swim I saw when I was working as a safety kayaker in Peru in 2003.

The rapid was a wave train into a huge rock that had fallen into the river, and split into a few pieces, creating narrow (and no doubt very deep) cracks which ran through it. It was perfectly runnable, but the rafts portaged it due to a fatality a few years previously (some of the cracks contained siphons). They portaged by running the wave train and breaking out in a large eddy above said rock.

As the guide was looking the other way, a punter fell out of the raft on the wave train. When he looked round she was nowhere to be seen. I was standing on the rock 30m downstream and looked round when I heard shouts, worked out quite quickly that someone was in the water but couldn't see them either...

They too popped up a long way downstream of the rocks I was standing on. Just close enough though that I managed to get my rope to her and claim rescue beers :-)
Rio Cotahausi?

Poke

Post by Poke »

Cotahuasi doesn't get rafted much...
It was the Apurimac near Cusco..
They called the rapid "Purgatory" if our river notes are correct...
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

tambakosi

Post by tambakosi »

Poke wrote:Cotahuasi doesn't get rafted much...
It was the Apurimac near Cusco..
They called the rapid "Purgatory" if our river notes are correct...
Thanks for that, reason I asked was when I rafted it there had been a fatality the year before.

Petteri

Post by Petteri »

Is this teufelshluht? To me the scariest part is how fast the resquers drop the ball. Does it allways go like this?

RichA

Post by RichA »

Ouch. Reminds me a lot of a swim my girlfriend at the time had on the grade 2 bit of the Guil, about 1km below Triple Step. A tiny rapid where the water sets into a cliff on river left just before a small bridge. An unfortunate roll and swim just above it resulted into her swimming towards the cliff and the small cushion wave in the low water levels. Rather than bouncing off, she disappeared underwater for about 30-45 seconds, popping up about 30-40m downstream.

Just here actually:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Le+Guil ... l&t=h&z=18

I still don't understand how it happened, but it was very similar to that video, just with much less flow.

tambakosi

Post by tambakosi »

Sort of reminds me of that Pin / Swim in Red Bull flowhunters, though this guy was under the water for a lot longer.

kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Boated this section a few years back at higher flows. We looked at this rapid from the bridge and it looked pretty easy although a walled in must run. Just upstream the gorge is impressive with the walls of gorge meeting above your head so that you paddle through a natural rock tunnel in big volume water with surging boils and seams. When we got to the rapid in the video we decide to start river left and charge right as most of the water pushed into that river left slot. The boils at the start of the rapid had my creek boat tail squirting. It was surprisingly much pushier than the view from the bridge would suggest, two of us made the ferry and two went down the slot got pummelled in the hole (which also contained a large tree) and swam.

Kevin

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”