Conwy Canoe Access Egress Signage North Wales

Inland paddling
mcneilljamie

Conwy Canoe Access Egress Signage North Wales

Post by mcneilljamie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:10 pm

I drove past the Rhydlanfair Bridge egress from the Conwy and at the next layby down toward Betws I saw a Canu Allan/Canoe Exit sign.

Was I seeing things? Has the access dispute on this section finally been resolved? Woo hoo if it has!
J

Mart

Re: Conwy Canoe Access Egress Signage North Wales

Post by Mart » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:41 pm

Surely someone local can confirm or deny the presence of these signs?

I'd be interest to know how, in a couple of years, we have gone from militant Taxi drivers hassling paddlers to permission signs!

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Not seen the sign myself, but it has been known for 'fake' signs to appear along the Conway. Think one is still nailed to a tree on the Glen section. Second lay by has been used as the best exit for some time.

D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

gethroberts

Post by gethroberts » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:01 pm

There are now signs telling paddlers where to get on and off the upper Conwy. The get out has even had a handy set of stairs from the river to the bankside path installed - sometime in the first half of December. This run is now very user (paddler) friendly.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 pm

The old signs from the national trust mysteriously vanished...

paddletastic2

Post by paddletastic2 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:11 pm

gethroberts wrote:There are now signs telling paddlers where to get on and off the upper Conwy. The get out has even had a handy set of stairs from the river to the bankside path installed - sometime in the first half of December. This run is now very user (paddler) friendly.
Where are the steps? Presumably access at the A5 layby. Where is egress?

Mart

Post by Mart » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Thanks Geth, that is brilliant news.

Do you know anything more about it?
Who paid/built it, who persuaded the land owner and how, what the fisherman have said or done and all that sort of stuff.

I saw that some people have entered into an "agreement*" on the Dee as well, is this a sign of improved attitudes to access in the area?

*I know this agreement has nothing to do with any paddlers except for those in BOPA that agreed to it and that we are not bound by their agreement. But the fact the fisherman are willing to accept such an agreement is much better then when their was a policy of a blanket ban

Uisce

Post by Uisce » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Mart wrote:*I know this agreement has nothing to do with any paddlers except for those in BOPA that agreed to it and that we are not bound by their agreement. But the fact the fisherman are willing to accept such an agreement is much better then when their was a policy of a blanket ban
No need to whisper.
Mart wrote:*I know this agreement has nothing to do with any paddlers except for those in BOPA that agreed to it and that we are not bound by their agreement. But the fact the fisherman are willing to accept such an agreement is much better then when their was a policy of a blanket ban
Perhaps the willingness to accept is becuase unlike you and I they don't appreciate the 'agreement' limited to BOPA and a few others with vested commercial interests. The Dee has been paddleable with limited hassle for many years. This pseudo agreement can only serve to re-inforce any delusions that the 'fisherfolk' have it is within their power to have as you say "a policy of a blanket ban". I don't agree that this is better in any way. Anyway thats a whole seperate thread ;)

I concur that the situation on the Conwy looks more positive. Agreements relating to land based access/egress where public rights of way don't necessarily exist is a whole different matter and a very positive step.

Mart

Post by Mart » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 am

I should have known mentioning the Dee would be a mistake...... :(

I wasn't whispering particularly, although it was much smaller then I anticipated it being; it was just a side note before someone picked me up on the fact it is only BOPA's agreement. I like your phrase pseudo agreement and as you say, there are other threads for discussing that can of worms.

ash74

Post by ash74 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:10 am

Canoe Wales has been working with Snowdonia National Park Authority to resolve some of the issues on this section. It has taken the best part of 4 years.

Part one of the infrastructure has gone in, and there are a couple of extra's coming too.

There will be an "official" press release shortly.

Ash

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 am

There was an official looking sign at the get-on (Ysbyty Ifan) stating no canoeing when I paddled just before Christmas. The guy in the house next to the public car park spent about 15 minutes photographing us getting on.

I couldn't see anything wrong. There is a nice car park and a public footpath direct to the river. Water levels were good.

We just took photographs of this guy and had a great day paddling.

Canoe Kayak Trader

Post by Canoe Kayak Trader » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi There
yes there is a new access agreement in place & a nice set of steps to walk in & walk out on up to the lay by . Its the next layby after the mystic cafe ! But the egress is easily missed from the river so best to look at it from river bank first

regards

Canoe Kayak Trader

Ian Dallaway

Post by Ian Dallaway » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:33 pm

This is superb news. What do we look for from the river? I assume the egress is past Ryhdlanfair bridge on river right?????
Ian

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Canoe Kayak Trader wrote:Hi There
yes there is a new access agreement in place
What sort of agreement?

-Ginge-

Post by -Ginge- » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 pm

A paddle it when you want if there's water, but use the steps because we've worked really hard to get it sorted and you now actually get a few more meters to paddle than the old, less easy to use scramble method type access agreement.

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:53 pm

As far as I know (and this is only as far as i know/ can remember/ may be mixing up different sections of river)

The conwy agreement is to paddle whenever there is water above 3 on the guage at the get on for the upper. Having only paddled the upper/middle twice, both when it was on 4-5 i can definatley confirm below 4 and it would be scrapy at best (i.e. go somewhere else/ go biking/ climbing/ walking). The agreement is in place related to rare species of moss and lychen on rocks which are damaged by plastic scraping on them.

As a result there is nice kayak style at the upper get on and a nice place to get off as well :)plus, the farmer wont get angry.

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:02 pm

The Rhydlanfair Bridge cafe is very kayaker friendly, does a great bacon & egg Barm and is now offering Bunk house accommodation during the winter with drying room and your own river access. So if you park in the lay-by try and support her.

John.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”