Boats you've owned and miss

Inland paddling
Sickboy

Boats you've owned and miss

Post by Sickboy »

Just had a look through the 'for sale' section and a bright red Dragorossi squashtail got me thinking, I miss my Thruster, I miss the rails when I'm on a wave and I miss the handles whenever I'm lugging a boat to the water.
That's all I miss about it, and it was by no means a fantastic boat (the outfitting, jeez the outfitting). Strangely I don't miss any other boats or indeed anything about them.
So do you miss a boat that although it would never win a best in test you still think about it years after you waved good bye. Sorta like the ex that was really talented (in the kitchen).
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Strad

Re: Boats you've owned and miss

Post by Strad »

Read my sig, I can give no valid reason for it, but I still miss my AQII, only boat I regret selling when I replaced it.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

My old Superfun, which I suspect may be for sale, and the seller is demanding more than I sold it for!

It's the only boat so far that I've been able to do a plowing ender in....
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

elliott42kev

Post by elliott42kev »

I miss my riot techno. Had a fantastic trip to Devon in 03, attached my fins and had the best weeks surfing ever!
I loved everything about it, the look, the way it surfed and of course the bondage chick graphics at the rear.

Then i happened to go to hpp one night and had a go in a necky switch a mate had. I found i could do more in it and it was more forgiving on the feet. We shook hands there and then and swaped!

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris »

I miss loads!

Original Aeroquatic - for armchair comfort and huge pop outs.
Riot Slice - everytime Trent Lock or Sawley runs
Pumped DR Squashtail - everytime Newark runs
My super small Downtime Asylum - for flatwater backloops in a squirt boat!

If I could turn back time I would not have sold any of these and if I could by them all back I would!

Chris

SPL

Post by SPL »

S8 225, I first paddled it at HPP and loved it, so easy to cartwheel due to the fact I was too big for it but yet surprisingly comfy. I paddled it down everything before creek boats were the norm until it finally died on the Erm. RIP

I still look on ebay occasionally for one in the hope the wife would allow me a third boat and the magic elves build me a double garage.

Pam Bell

Post by Pam Bell »

The Makker. I loved it because it was so fast and effortless to paddle; but all the people I paddled with thought it was unstable...

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I had a blue and yellow mega jester. At the time (1998ish) pretty much every paddler I bumped into seemed to have owned it at some point.

Leaked like a seive, went like a rocket.

tenboats1

Post by tenboats1 »

Ocoee OC1 and NC Supernova................steep learning curve with both, but such fun was had ;)

kayak1

Post by kayak1 »

My old Wavesport XXX...Competed in a local Club Level Surf Competition with guys in Surf boats and came first..ha ha! miss it greatly...and also Riot Flair 47 (will swop my RED Squashtail for one, as seen in the For Sale Ads) had that flair for years..want it Back!!!

Tekno and Zip great surf boats, also a very underated boat was my old Perception full Tilt, brilliant again in the surf .

River play boats, G-ride 6.5, dare I say Method Air.. good in the Alps

Best overall playboat S6191 could actually do playboat moves easily in it..so much so that 5 191's was bought by members of my club who also found them to be the right tool for the job.

worse boats owned.. Big EZ, ACE , Prijon Samurai, Necky Switch.. Way too loose, like paddling a bar of soap!
Ameoba Carver first Surf Boat..what was I thinking!

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy »

tenboats1 wrote:Ocoee OC1 and NC Supernova................steep learning curve with both, but such fun was had ;)
I would miss the Ocoee if I had to give it back to its owner, but then its a dead cert on the best ever canoe list so I suppose I should do. An extra inch of freeboard, an inch out of the width and composite construction with glassed in buoyancy and it'd be perfect..
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

livefortheriver

Post by livefortheriver »

Necky switch, first boat

Pyranha 420 turned into a c1, back into a kayak, back into a c1 and finally back to a kayak, and sold for 150% what i paid!

Jim

Post by Jim »

I still have everything except my Corsica S, which I don't miss.
That said I do miss my original black spud, it's replacement is pink and not nearly iconic enough. Originally I wanted blue (not purple) but they were as rare as rocking horse muck. Black was good though.

bubbles_jonnybravo

Post by bubbles_jonnybravo »

It's not an old boat but I miss my burn. It took me from paddling grade 3 to paddling grade 4 and 5. Really liked the boat it was pink and black. I just needed more volume as it was a small so sold it and bought a stomper, which I am not getting rid of unless you offer me stupid money.

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

My Dagger Vengeance, first bought boat with my own money. I am not sure I would actually like to paddle it again, but I do have fond memories of it, and if did get the chance to paddle one again, hope that it was as nice as remember and I am not just looking back through rose tinted glasses !
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

Onecar

Post by Onecar »

Not sure I miss them exactly but a few boats I have very fond memories of.
My Topo. I felt absolutely bomb proof in it. It was so much fun until I had my head turned by a younger model.
A shiny new Perception Whiplash. I had several very memorable trips with it, Alps, BC, and one to Nepal. Lovely boat.
Riot Booster 55. Simply the most fun I've ever had in a boat. So playful yet so stable and predictable in big water.
Not so sure I'd want to paddle any of them again. Boat design has moved on and so have I. Happy memories though.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

I miss my custom shred
I miss my first topo
I miss my first werner wenatche
I miss my playboater playvest
I miss my Lotus Pvest

sorry its not all boats...
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

caveman_si

Post by caveman_si »

I miss my riot booster 60 in purple first boat i ever brought brand new and was a dream to paddle, so much fun on a wave and comfortable. I also miss the blue booster 60 i bought to replace it when the first one broke. I was gutted when the blue one then got trashed helping someone on a river. But the first purple one is the one I miss the most.

[\Shameless plug ]

In fact Ive been looking for another replacement booster 60 for ages (see my regular posts in the for sale section), as I am getting backing into messing about on waves and its not the same in my burn.
So if anyone has got one stashed in the garage they want rid off let me know :)
[\Shameless plug ]

TonyM

Post by TonyM »

I miss my Corsica S. I wish I'd started missing it much sooner, or ideally, not bought one at all.

What I really, really, miss are boats that weigh 25 lbs.

Tony

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

Perception Spin, first boat I ever owned. WOuld need the Full Tilt now, but that was a damn good boat.

Natalie

Post by Natalie »

My Lil' Joe, only because it was so easy to roll.

morsey

Post by morsey »

Miss my Kingpin a little bit, excellent boat for playing on rivers.

dailaffin

Post by dailaffin »

Once had a kw5 ww racer and paddled it like a GP slalom kayak, journeyed miles on the sea and looped it at Hambledon. Swapped it for a reel to reel tape recorder. I really would love to thrash that boat again ... Fibreglass thigh grips and letter box footrest ... Wouldn't be allowed today.

surfkayaks.com

Post by surfkayaks.com »

Isere Slalom boat,
Still want one, anyone got one lurking in the depths of their garage/club house , let me know

Malcolm

joules

Post by joules »

Pyranha s8 235...

Boy that boat taught me to squirt, go 'submarine' through stoppers, what it was like to carve (well until I bought sickboys old Thruster ;-)...) and rolled without thinking about it...

Only sold it because the cockpit was quite tight and foot room wanting.

Even some new Pyranha boats copy it (Loki)

BUT sold it to a mate so not too far away...

Enjoy.

Jules

PS may be selling the Thruster as have a FLUID ELEMENT which is even more rad on the rails (the Thruster got me into it)

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

My Nomad 8.1.

I Decided i needed a slightly larger boat so got a new Mamba 8.1. Sold the Nomad to one of my regular paddling mates.

Only thing is i dont like the Mamba. Dave loves my old Nomad and wont sell it back.Instead he takes much delight every paddling trip saying how great a boat it is and why did i sell it......................!!
Born to paddle................forced to work.

Chrace

Post by Chrace »

Mike M wrote:My Nomad 8.1.

I Decided I needed a slightly larger boat so got a new Mamba 8.1. Sold the Nomad to one of my regular paddling mates.

Only thing is I dont like the Mamba. Dave loves my old Nomad and wont sell it back.Instead he takes much delight every paddling trip saying how great a boat it is and why did I sell it......................!!
Funny, I'm the opposite. I split my old Mamba 8.0 and bought a Nomad 8.5 instead. For all it's tailsquirting, I miss the Mamba rails and if I could afford it I'd get a Mamba 8.1 instead. It's not that the Nomad is a bad boat (at all), I just don't really get along with it as well as I did with the Mamba.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”