Paddles...

Inland paddling
66quinny66

Paddles...

Post by 66quinny66 »

I currently use some Streamlyte playstix for rivers and some Streamlyte composite paddles for playing. Having tried a mates cranked paddles I quite fancy giving some a proper go so I'm looking for recommendations. However, they will be a river set and I have a tendency to muller my paddles. In an ideal world I'd be after cranks with N12 or other glass filled nylon blades. Do these exist? If not, what would people recommend with a decent size composite (but not carbon or foam core etc) blade that I'm not going to knock lumps out of every time?
Thanks in advance.
Richard

steve4746

Re: Paddles...

Post by steve4746 »

VE paddles are really hard wearing, mine have had some real hammer and are still going strong!

Steve.
its all character building!!

mattdennies

Post by mattdennies »

I'm sure you've heard this so many times but you can't go wrong with werners, always paddled with them and despite a bit of chipping round the edge they've not been too damaged. I think it better to have a blade that chips than snaps.

I've also heard lots of good things about VE (tried them and thought they were great) and there's also the new select paddles to consider.

Find the paddles you feel comfiest and most confident with and worry about the durability after.

minty

Post by minty »

Spend an absolute fortune on a set of carbon cranks and every time you muller them think of the £'s you are trashing. Pretty soon you will find you change your paddling style to stop the bad habit ;-) Personally I use VE's and think they are great. I also have Werner Sidekick cranks which come second in my list for paddling.

alick
Ambition and ability I've got too much of one and very little of the other

DuncanOH

Post by DuncanOH »

I've seen several VEs break after a year or so of use, Selects however are in the same price bracket and, unless I hear contrary, are the toughest paddles out there. Their carbon-kevlar blades are rock solid. That's why I have a set.

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw »

I've sent my w1 selects to hell and back a few times, still no chips.
Ieuan :)

nrevek

Post by nrevek »

Carbon select pulse, top top quality paddles. They are easily as good as VE in terms of performance, and excellent durability. I wouldn't buy anything else, but its a very personal thing. I'm sure VEs also wear well.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

My review of the Select Pulses, if it's of any use:

http://clarkleberryfinn.wordpress.com/r ... se-paddle/

dave4423

Post by dave4423 »

I did manage to break my W1's on the Upper T (above Ms Davis Bridge)in July, although to be fair I actually punctured (put a rock through) the back of the blade when it caught between rocks. Although it felt a bit floppy (!), it was still just usable, and got me down the drop safely, plus a bit further to the get out.
Steve and Co at Fire-it-up replaced the blade at cost (thanks Steve!)and I've had no problems since, despite a fair few hits and scrapes. The wear on the ends is minimal, and I would recommend them.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

VEs are better than Werners. Fact.
dave

Shufflerschair

Post by Shufflerschair »

Core's are better than VE's or Werners

Q.E.D.

Andy

Rapid Kayaks

Post by Rapid Kayaks »

Glad your pleased with the paddles Andy!

Best regards
Jon

www.rapidkayaks.co.uk

Onecar

Post by Onecar »

DuncanOH wrote:I've seen several VEs break after a year or so of use, Selects however are in the same price bracket and, unless I hear contrary, are the toughest paddles out there. Their carbon-kevlar blades are rock solid. That's why I have a set.
I haven't seen any VE's break.
I've had a pair of Carbon VE's for 2 years now and they are still like new.
Most of my paddling mates now use VE's in favour of Werners on the strength of having a go with my VE's.
They are at least as durable as any other similar construction paddle on the market.
In my opinion of course.

nick 16

Post by nick 16 »

I have some Select W1's in texalium (fibreglass and aluminium weave) really hard wearing blades and they have held up really well, I've had them since September there's hardly any wear at all and have heard good things from others who have carbon or carbon/kevlar blades. Have also had a set of VE's and found the Carbon blades were starting to wear down after a couple of months but I imagine their fibreglass blades will be better on rocky UK rivers.
Nicholas Ball

chris leesmith

Post by chris leesmith »

Lots of funky new paddles around but what volume are being sold in reality. A true picture of reliability would be volume of sales to breakages or warranty returns. Those unsatisfied will make the biggest noise but that's not representative of the big picture.

grayspectre

Post by grayspectre »

DaveBland wrote:VEs are better than Werners. Fact.
AT2 Paddles are better than VE's. GPOWER are better than AT2's. Raab are better than Werners.
Fact.
Or opinion. I get confused.

A couple of questions determine what you would suit, but it cannot guarantee to give you a definitive answer...

To answer your question about composite but not foam core blades... i'd recommend the AT Eddy. Diolen edge will help keep them in one piece, and are a decent size blade. They are also glass, not carbon.

Just my £0.02 :)
GS

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

My fact is better than your fact. Fact.
dave

grayspectre

Post by grayspectre »

DaveBland wrote:My fact is better than your fact. Fact.
I'm quite certain it is.
Or is it?

Fact.

(I get the feeling this isn't helping the thread much! ;) )

chris leesmith

Post by chris leesmith »

AT's are no longer being imported into the UK by anyone so not sure where you'd get some at a reasonable price. Plus they have a double Torque shaft developed in the 80's. Most of the other cranks on the market are leagues better.

Not fact, just my opinion. Haha

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

I would always suggest having a look at Mitchell's. Amazingly well put together, and I have always rated them higher than my previous Werners that I used. They also seem to be a lot harder wearing than the Werners ever where. For me, I love them, and would happily buy an exact replacement should I loose them. Check them out here
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

thefryers

Post by thefryers »

Just to add another one to the mix, I paddle with Ophions and absolutely love them. I went for the carbon blade / flexi shaft option and would replace with the identical blade if ever lost. (Square Rock import these)

Reading this thread seems to suggest that paddles are even more of a "personal feel" thing than even boats and trying many different options is the only way forward? The good thing is, this is super easy to do, as us paddlers are such a friendly bunch you only have to ask in the next eddy.

My personal "feel" is that the VE's worked well but I didn't want "cored" blades (as I like rocky rivers), the Selects shaft diameter felt a little on the small side, but the Ophions had power in abundance and felt just right for me. I've only tried Mitchells at 0° feather so can't comment on them, but that's for another thread.

No facts, only feelings!

Cheers,

Graeme

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Too many opinions. You are all a bunch of factists.

Maybe.
dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”