Canoeing Restricted signs Help needed.

Inland paddling
Randy Fandango

Re: Canoeing Restricted signs Help needed.

Post by Randy Fandango » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:30 pm

The signs are not needed and contain mis-leading and inaccurate information as well as being an eye-sore.
Please remove them.
Giles

Inversion

Post by Inversion » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 am

The signs are misleading and should be removed

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:40 am

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 am

These signs are not needed, not wanted and should be removed post haste. I even have an idea of where they should be disposed off if the people that put them up would oblige by bending over.

Neilo

Post by Neilo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:29 am

These signs raise some serious questions, especially in relation to the use (and therefore the implied endorsement) of the Environment Agency Logo. Whom, are the Environment Agency suggesting, are the 'owners' of the water in question ? Why are they apparently endorsing a notice in relation to, what is referred to as, 'private land' and have they therefore paid towards the installment ? Have they approved of the size, colour, position and content ?

These signs are not only unnecessary, they are disproportionate, and contain wholly misleading information (if there is an 'Access Agreement', it is not something to which I have been consulted, nor to which I have agreed) and should be removed as a matter of urgency. For those who do not know better these signs may act as a discouragement from enjoying the countryside, which is surely contrary to the aims of the Agency ? Furthermore, an explanation from the Environment Agency should be sought as to why they have thought it necessary to place them here.

An example of toothless attempted bullying. Please remove them with immediate effect.

Neil Owens.

Pete K

Post by Pete K » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Missleading, please remove.

Also I see that BOPA (the mouthpeice for all paddlers) has stuck their oar in on this too. Message to BOPA: You don't speak for me!

quicky

Post by quicky » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:18 pm

There is a section on the SOTP access section re signs and the 'logos' used on them. The EA were actually quite interested to find out they had endorsed some signs and had them removed as they had nothing to do with them.

Mikers

Post by Mikers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:45 pm

These signs claim a right to control navigation that neither the EA nor the Wye and Usk Foundation posess.

They are in direct opposition to the EA's Environmental Vision, which on page 5, states :

"Improved and protected inland and coastal waters. Our rivers, lakes and coastal waters will be far cleaner. They will sustain diverse and healthy ecosystems, water sports and recreation such as boating and fishing, and those uses needed by a thriving and healthy community."

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/st ... vision.pdf

In the Environment Agencies Corporate plan 2011-15 (https://publications.environment-agency.gov.uk/ms/toU6x), the EA states :
"3.4
All sections of society have opportunities to enjoy water and wetlands through angling and navigation
We will:
  • Manage water quality, water resources, fisheries and flood defence schemes in ways that improve opportunities for people to access water for recreation.

Work with local communities, angling and navigation interests to promote opportunities for people to enjoy and benefit from the environment and to address barriers to participation.

Maintain the navigation assets we are responsible for in line with available funding.
"

The signs are obviously contrary to the stated goals of the EA.

These unsightly, un necessary signs, make claims that can not legally be defended and seek to stop people from participating in legal navigation - something that the EA is required to encourage.

Similar signage on the River Wye has already been proven redundant and removed.

There is no doubt that these signs must be removed immediately and the EA should hold an inquiry as to how the signs were funded and agreed to in the first place.

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:04 pm

After reading that sign, please remove. Unnecessary would be the best way to describe it.
Ieuan :)

JonFinch

Post by JonFinch » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm

The signs need to be removed.

heybaz

Post by heybaz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm

Such visibly intrusive, inaccurate and, frankly, offensive signage has no place in our countryside and I certainly support anything that might (legally!) be done to have the signs removed.

Use of the EA logo would need to have been approved I would think? If so then whoever in the EA granted approval needs to consider their position...

Barry

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:28 pm

I object to these WUF instigated signs on the River Usk (and the River Wye). I am concerned by the use of public money by the EA(W) to promote an unproven and potentially illegal assertion as to the rights of control over river navigation. I request the BBNPA to ensure that these signs are removed immediately.

Uisce

Post by Uisce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 am

These negative signs are inaccurate, unecessary are completely out of place in the environment/location. I'd be disgusted if it has involved the use of public money in any form..EA?

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:20 am

"The owners of this river...". WTF? Please get rid of these offensive signs.
Nick.

steve4746

Post by steve4746 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:53 am

The signs should be removed, they are misleading!
its all character building!!

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:43 am

The signs appear to be more than a little misleading and are completely unnecessary. Seems like a waste of time, money and natural resources to produce something that really doesn't fit with the surroundings!

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:58 pm

The signs are misleading & appear to be aimed at discouraging paddling, they should be removed. As to the earlier comment as to why there have been so many reads compared to the number of messages of support for the removal of the signs, I would expect a lot of the people who are opposed to paddling to read this forum to look for ammunition.
Ken

enjoyer

Post by enjoyer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Mikers wrote:These signs claim a right to control navigation that neither the EA nor the Wye and Usk Foundation posess.
There is no doubt that these signs must be removed immediately and the EA should hold an inquiry as to how the signs were funded and agreed to in the first place.
Exactly what he said.

Remove the signs asap please.

budgester

Post by budgester » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Remove the signs.

KrisH

Post by KrisH » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:34 pm

These signs are misleading and contain inaccurate information regarding ownership and use of the river. As such they are unwarranted, unnecessary and a source of misinformation. They should be removed immediately to prevent further misinformation being spread.

tenboats1

Post by tenboats1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Please remove these signs.
TB

furby

Post by furby » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 pm

The signs are not needed, nor are they accurate or true! Please remove.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Ken_T wrote:As to the earlier comment as to why there have been so many reads compared to the number of messages of support for the removal of the signs, I would expect a lot of the people who are opposed to paddling to read this forum to look for ammunition.
Ken
I think I must have looked at this thread more than a dozen times to read the latest comments as they get posted, so if everyone did that then the number of views will go up quickly.

markg

Post by markg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Please please please remove these obnoxious, obtrusive and misleading signs. How can any legitimate organisation sanction this type of misinformation nowadays and put their logo on this message is beyond me and my bcu sanctioned club ( 120 active paddlers and more than 300 members) and allow these type of organisations involved spend their operatives / officers time on legitimate endeavours instead of being sidelined by the misinformed minority interested their petty pet issues,
Mark.

cp

Post by cp » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 am

Signs not needed nor welcome

Chris

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:50 am

Please remove these signs as they're unsightly, unnecessary and misleading!!

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Darksideup

Post by Darksideup » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:00 pm

I personaly am not a member of any of the groups that supposedly established this 'access agreement' so will never use this 'access point'. Please someone in some sort of authority have the bottle to get these signs removed. You are detering people from enjoying this great facility by your unlawfull suggestions that you need to be some part of an elite group in order to enjoy a great sport.

TAKE THEM DOWN NOW PLEASE.
If the darkside is up there is no need for gills

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 pm

The sign states that 'The owners of this river' have granted access to navigate.
I believe I am one of the owners of this river, and I have not been consulted on this matter.

Please remove these misleading signs.

canoegnu

Post by canoegnu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:35 am

The signs should be removed

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:09 am

Signs neither required or wanted, please remove them.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”