LOST BOAT ON LLUGWY

Inland paddling
waverley610

LOST BOAT ON LLUGWY

Post by waverley610 »

Lost on Forestry Falls section, last seen below Betswy. Monday lunchtime.
Green i3 please contact local police and Chas 01737 812467 and/or Simon07812582531

MarkB

Re: LOST BOAT ON LLUGWY

Post by MarkB »

Sorry to hear that Chas. Hope you get it back. I'm guessing that the Llugwy had a fair amount of water in it this morning.
Mark

pwilkinson

Post by pwilkinson »

it had no water in it over the weekend for the student safety thing, which was a pity, especially if it rained heavily once we left.

MarkB

Post by MarkB »

paul25 wrote:it had no water in it over the weekend for the student safety thing, which was a pity, especially if it rained heavily once we left.
It was raining in NW England overnight and looked like persisting when I left early AM. I'm guessing it was similar in N.Wales.

That wasn't you guys in the convoy of canoe-laded minibuses and cars heading east along the A5 past Corwen around 6pm-ish was it ?
Mark

pwilkinson

Post by pwilkinson »

It was over about half 4, so that could have been people leaving after taking tents down etc. Not much of a convoy though.

Jim Pullen

ICCC

Post by Jim Pullen »

Nope that was us!

2 minibuses + 3 cars. Big freshers trip this year!

MarkB

Re: ICCC

Post by MarkB »

Jim Pullen wrote:Nope that was us!

2 minibuses + 3 cars. Big freshers trip this year!
Odd that. ICCC was the club that came to mind as we passed, perhaps because I was once a member. Hope you managed to find something to keep everyone amused.
Mark

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Yep - Sat was Fairy Glen for the keen/mental, followed by three sections of the Conwy done by progressively fewer people.

Sun was the aberglaslyn from the lake for everyone followed by three gorge runs for those that wanted to.

Unfortunately the white minibus' exhaust fell off on the M6 resulting in not getting back to London until 12:30 for 11 of us.

Sorry - seem to have hijacked this thread - I hope you get your boat back Chas!

waverley610

Post by waverley610 »

MarkB wrote:Sorry to hear that Chas. Hope you get it back. I'm guessing that the Llugwy had a fair amount of water in it this morning.
Mark we've had rather a lot of rain last night. What a difference from Sunday's run.

To quote the local paddlers "everything's huge" and "it's the biggest it's been this year".

No real drama, we just had to part company, not even a swim, bummer was it was 1 minute walk out to the take out. It will probably turn up once I make the 6 hour drive home tomorrow.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Jim Pullen wrote: Sun was the aberglaslyn from the lake for everyone followed by three gorge runs for those that wanted to.
What was the level like? we did it on sat and it was pretty low really, but def still runnable

What boat was lost? We may well be down on the llugwy on the morrow, and will keep a look out for it, though I fear with all the rain we've had it may well have made some pretty fast progress downstream.

Tom

cswalker

Post by cswalker »

waverley610 wrote:To quote the local paddlers "everything's huge" and "it's the biggest it's been this year".

No real drama, we just had to part company, not even a swim, bummer was it was 1 minute walk out to the take out. It will probably turn up once I make the 6 hour drive home tomorrow.
That was us!

Sadly I think the boat will have taken a very long run, if it isn't snagged up somewhere it will have defo taken a good thrashing on Swallow's & the Mincer. If it made it past there, did you look in the hole under the bridge in Betws? If it passed through there its on its way to Ireland, a suggestion, try Deganwy and Conwy Marina, they get picked up by local sea users if they make it past Llanwrst!

Level's - sweet as, nicely high, but can get a lot bigger! Across the fields at PYB MendipElephant?! :)

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

The grade II bit down to the gorge was pretty low, but good for freshers (and the misses who got officially indoctrinated this weekend!). The gorge was at a nice level, mediumish, I've certainly done it lower. There was a tree encroaching onto the breaker, but only spindly branches which you could bash through - it may be a problem in higher levels. Guess the gorge will be stonking today after all this rain.

waverley610

Post by waverley610 »

cswalker wrote:That was us!

Sadly I think the boat will have taken a very long run, if it isn't snagged up somewhere it will have defo taken a good thrashing on Swallow's & the Mincer.
You were the guys paddling through the campsite then? Thanks for the tip off about the cable immediately below the put-in, wouldn't have expected that one so soon!

Yep, that was an interesting run, shame it went tits up for me at the end. Local Plod were relieved when later they asked us 'Sureley you're not getting on that?' and we said, 'No; we're just getting off'! Apparantly they had received a couple of phone calls after my boat was spotted making it's solo run down Swallow's.

Anyway, left Wales this morning with my tail firmly between my legs, thanks to everyone who expressed concern for my welfare.

And should my green pyranha i3 turn up anywhere please call the mobile number written in the boat 07973 670543 as I should hopefully have sorted out a new phone by tomorrow. Ouch.

waverley610

Post by waverley610 »

waverley610 wrote:It will probably turn up once I make the 6 hour drive home tomorrow.
Didn't see that one coming, boat now recovered.

cswalker

Post by cswalker »

In 1 piece? Where was it found?

Congrats!

waverley610

Post by waverley610 »

cswalker wrote:In 1 piece? Where was it found?
On the Conwy, think the front end is badly spilt/stove in around the grab handle by the sound of it.
It's near Llanrwst, if you are able to inspect it for me give me a pm later?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”