creeking shoe recommendations?

Inland paddling
*cameron*

creeking shoe recommendations?

Post by *cameron* »

Had a little swim on the Scar water today and subsequently lost a boot. So needing to buy a new pair.
Any recommendations for a durable shoe/boot suitable for creeking?
looking to spend roughly £30/40?
thanks

GlennT

Re: creeking shoe recommendations?

Post by GlennT »

I think that with your budget you may struggle. Keen, Palm, Five Ten etc are all £60+ upwards new. I know Typhoon do a creek type boot, which I think might be around your budget mark. Otherwise I would suggest that you spend abit more on something that is going to be of use. I finally invested in some Five Ten Canyoneers which I haven't regretted. They are really useful in difficult terrain and have proved their worth in in Scotland, which I always think is a really hard testing ground for gear.

Gkenn

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

I spent literally decades paddling in crappy shoes and neoprene sox. No idea why and having finally got me some Keen Canyon Boots I can't believe what a dick I've been all this time – and how much I've wasted on cheap poorly functioning footwear.
The Keens are great, but I've heard the 5:10s grip better. I'm sure any recognised paddling boot would be worth the extra if you are going to be trogging around riverbanks.
dave

*cameron*

Post by *cameron* »

will rethink my budget alittle and shop around before i commit to a purchase, ideally id like to get a pair of 5:10's.
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

mountain_bikerider

Post by mountain_bikerider »

Just to put a spanner in the works, have you tried to fit in your boat with a pair of 5.10 canyoneers? They really are bulky and I can't fit in my boat with them. I use old 'adventure' trainers in my boat and they work really well. My wife on the other hand has bought the Palm descender boot. At £40 they are in your original budget. I appreciate they are not as supportive as the 5.10 but they are nowhere near as bulky but seem to grip really well and she really likes them. They come up a bit small so make sure you try before you buy and take into account drysuit socks etc.

David Foley

Post by David Foley »

I find you get what you pay for. After years of buying sub par shoes and having them fall apart when running up and down river banks and climbing up and down rocky portages, I went for the 5:10 Canyoneers and never looked back. 18 months later, after much use, I will be buying some more as they are now falling apart.
Fluid Adventures
Website

DFoleyCoaching
Personal Blog

MattC

Post by MattC »

I have a pair of Innov-8 fell running shoes. They are about 5 years old or so and somehow still holding up. Lightweight, good grip and great drainage. When I come to replacing them I'll be looking to get another pair...

Matt

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking »

I have had the Typhoon boots for the last 2 years. Good boots for the money and do the job.Im sure they would last another year or two. Just the other day I got a pair of 5/10 SAR boots. Had them on the river yesterday and I found them excellent, alot grippier and more comfortable than the Typhoon.

However they are alot bulkier than the Typhoon so make sure you try out a few pairs if you can.
Happy hunting

Cha0sSt0rm

Post by Cha0sSt0rm »

I'm using Palm's Granite boots at the moment (~£35 if I remember rightly) but can be a bit slippery and are a bit thin for running in.

I'll be looking at a pair of Gradients or something similar when the Granites give up the ghost (provided I can afford them at the time) if not, I'd probably go for another pair of Granites.

Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

Another vote for Inov8 fell running shoes. Grippy, supportive, tough and very quick drying.

Paddling tends to destroy the uppers but leaves the soles pretty much intact, so since running does the opposite you can run in them first and then down-grade them to paddling shoes when the soles start to get worn.

You're not going to get them for fourty quid though.

*cameron*

Post by *cameron* »

condenses here seems that the 5:10's seem like a viable option for long term. I can imagine they'd be a worthy investment so ill probably re budget and have a look at them.
I had been using a pair of palm granite water boots, they worked well up until recently when i could feel my grip going on banks/rocks etc. They didnt give great support and as I found out today, it didnt take alot to pull one from my foot leaving my drysuit sock very vulnerable to the river bed.
Again guys thanks for the feedback, good to get lots of opinions on this sorta thing.

ijd201

Post by ijd201 »

Some great bargains in the Teva UK Sale:

http://www.teva.co.uk/sale/sale,en_GB,s ... rt=0&sz=20

ion

Post by ion »

Take a look at the Astral Brewer....5.10 rubber but with what is likely to be a better quality upper. 5.10's are undoubtedly the safest river shoes but they lcan eave a little to be desired in the durability dept. 5.10 Savant is probably the most popular here in Cali for boating, though I use a variety of their Parkour and approach shoes

morsey

Post by morsey »

5Ten have another shoe aside from the Cayoneers:

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-de ... ter-tennie

Cha0sSt0rm

Post by Cha0sSt0rm »

*cameron* wrote:condenses here seems that the 5:10's seem like a viable option for long term. I can imagine they'd be a worthy investment so ill probably re budget and have a look at them.
I had been using a pair of palm granite water boots, they worked well up until recently when I could feel my grip going on banks/rocks etc. They didnt give great support and as I found out today, it didnt take alot to pull one from my foot leaving my drysuit sock very vulnerable to the river bed.
Again guys thanks for the feedback, good to get lots of opinions on this sorta thing.
I've never felt my granite boots slipping off me feet... Did WWSR in them, had a few swims in them but they have always stayed nice and firmly on my feet. In fact, I actually have to work to get them to come off.

As you said though, they aren't very grippy.

kirmit

Post by kirmit »

I have a set of 5:10's and think there well worth the investment but as said, Check you fit in your boat with them on. They are quite big compared to most others.

akpete

Post by akpete »

I've got a pair of Palm Gradients, they are great and way less bulky / more flexible than the Canyoneers so fit in more boats. They're as good as any 'approach' type shoes I've had for climbing / scrambling around. I'll buy another pair when they die but after a year they're still going strong...

W5RAY

Post by W5RAY »

5/10's for drysuit/winter combo and Merrell water trainers (not sure what they are called though) for shorts/summer. The Merrells are probably in your budget and good enough for year round use but beware as they are water trainers so they let water in and out but also small bits of gravel - not necessarily the best for drysuit feet.....

banzer

Post by banzer »

My two cents' worth...

I think 5'10 canyoneers are probably great... for canyoning. But why have something heavy and clunky inside your boat? I use those Merrell river shoes - in fact I can't remember what they are they're that worn, they might be Keen - but they still grip the rock and climb (and canyon) no problem, plus they drain quickly and aren't at all heavy.

I now need to replace them after about four years service so, thanks to the tips from this thread, I'm going to go for a pair of Typhoon Sprint river shoes off ebay for fifteen quid. Sorted.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”