Problem with Lendal 4 Pce

Inland paddling
crashnodrog

Problem with Lendal 4 Pce

Post by crashnodrog »

Have had a Lendal 4 piece (carbon fibre shaft & blades) for about 3 years? Bought from Brookbank just as Lendal were taken over by Johnson Outdoors. It is normally just broken down into two so it can go inside the car. Was avoiding using car for couple of days and had to break it down into 4. (Never used to be a problem.) Only just managed it with a lot of brute strength. One shaft /blade connection being worse than the other, though not by a lot. Thought it might be the padlock mechanism so removed it but it was fine. Tried joining the shaft to blade and discovered that the joint itself is the problem. One part of the connection has shrunk/expanded so that the blade will not insert into the shaft more than half the length it is supposed to. Anybody else had this problem? and if so is there an answer?

-Ginge-

Re: Problem with Lendal 4 Pce

Post by -Ginge- »

LUUUUUUUUUBE it up.

hodgkins

Post by hodgkins »

Hmm, mine has been in the back of my boat for years waiting for the day it's needed. Perhaps I need to check :S
Dave

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

I have the TNP equivalent. I had these for a year and had never used them, I was then due to go to Austria so on a club pool trip I tried them out, and they seems pretty good.

A few weeks later on a remote spate run in Austria one member of the team lost his paddles, I pulled mine out of the bag to find I had pulled the paddle blade off the shaft. I can only guess the chlorine in the pool had damaged the adhesive. I banged the blade back in place and it working fine until we found the lost paddles 5 minutes later.

I now make a habit of checking kit closely.

Torridon

Post by Torridon »

arrghh, splits, these are sneaky beasts if you don't keep an eye on them. though it sound obvious maintenance is key. after each trip strip them down (even if they have lived in the back of your boat as whilst they are in the back of the boat and you can't see them they will be up to soemthing!!) and make sure the blades are dried and when drying them make sure the blades are facing up in the air so that all the water comes out as the tricky little things will keep hold of the water, same with the shafts. WD40 also helps keep them ticking over, maybe the odd spray once a month or so depending on use.

WD40 will also help with the tight shaft and avoiding big changes in temperture that happens quite often in a car. Placing the shafts in hot water might also help as they will shrink a little due to the fact that carbon fiber is negative cofficent, albeit just a little. I know, my brain has also just exploded with this moment oflearning so can everyone please pray to the god of rain so that i can stop this and get back to paddling. Once fitting leave connected (make sure they ae dry) for 24hrs. If they still fill a bit stiff after this try repeating the process untill you beat the little blitters into submission.

cheers chris
Kayak Coaching & Expeditons in SW of England

crashnodrog

Post by crashnodrog »

Thanks for the tips. Had a very close look at the area around the button now. The neck of the blade around the area of the button appears to have deformed outward slightly, probably by having the joint locked for such a long period and possibly a tad too tight. Lesson learned. Might end up with two piece if I can join them again, which is the normal configuration I leave them in anyway

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”