Extending thigh braces..?

Inland paddling
lozbrown

Extending thigh braces..?

Post by lozbrown » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Has anyone managed to extend their thigh braces?

The boat I'm looking at, I like but if I push hard enough I push past the thigh braces. I've ended up doing this whilst rolling which it not ideal. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully made their thigh braces more aggressive after market? Or should I just go for a boat I don't have this problem with?

Ideas, photos etc all welcome..

Many Thanks

DaveBland

Re: Extending thigh braces..?

Post by DaveBland » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:31 pm

It's much easier and more fun to fatten your thighs. Take your choice of beer and/or pies.

I was fully intending to do this with my last boat, but in the end discovered that raising the front of the seat with a foam wedge under the front foam cushion did the job way better. This forced my knees from behind up into the braces and made a HUGE difference. No pics, sorry, as I ripped the outfitting out in readiness for the warranty replacement.

Anyway, just suggesting you give this a go first, as it's way easier and tackles the root of the problem - well it did for me.
dave

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 pm

I've got to do something on my Raptor. At the moment they seem more like knee braces. Also they seem to be at a funny angle, they don't run parallel to my legs so I seem to have a point contact.

I've probably got weird legs.

Nick_

Post by Nick_ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Hugh Graham put a post up a while ago about it, however the pics have vanished. Maybe drop him a PM?
See you on the water!

-Ginge-

Post by -Ginge- » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:05 pm

scottdog007 wrote:I've got to do something on my Raptor. At the moment they seem more like knee braces. Also they seem to be at a funny angle, they don't run parallel to my legs so I seem to have a point contact.

I've probably got weird legs.
Apparently if you swap them over so the left's on the right and the rights on the left they work better...

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:16 pm

I glued layers of roll mat foam over size going over my thighs slightly until the contact was perfect where I needed it. I then trimmed it to suit. The 1st thing I noticed was the extra control over the boat and being able to flick it up easily when capsized.
I do have to be careful getting in and out in case I pull it apart though.
Mark

ion

Post by ion » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Specific to the original Burn thigh braces, I did this for several folks including myself: (Image too big to include inline)
http://www.ianbuckley.net/outfitting/P0000698.JPG
Basically the original soft padding has new holes made in it and moved further around the thigh. Between the soft padding and the rigid thigh brace is a curved piece of stiff polythene cut from a Nalgene drink bottle and glued in place. Presumably this could be any type of suitably curved plastic that's approximately the radius of your inner thigh, perhaps some type of larger diameter sewer pipe etc as long as it was not a materi that had the propensity to shatter leaving a jagged edge rather than just deform harmlessly if over stressed.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Looks like Gardener's Knee Pads...
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Ian, how do you get on without a back-strap? Are the thigh braces that good you can hang in there without?
I love the idea of the added flexibility/movement without one.
dave

ion

Post by ion » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:12 am

Dave that Galasport seat has a deceptively high back and the owner is a slalom nut, so it's a feel he likes and knows well. Doesn't work for me though, I still prefer a flexible back band. Hideously light boat now though, low 30's pounds.

lozbrown

Post by lozbrown » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks Guys really usefull comments
DaveBland wrote: a foam wedge under the front foam cushion did the job way better. This forced my knees from behind up into the braces and made a HUGE difference. No pics, sorry, as I ripped the outfitting out in readiness for the warranty replacement.

I've been wondering whether this would help.I think Dagger/Wavesports new outfitting with the ratchet between your legs would have a similar affect... worth thinking about some more. was also wondering about putting more foam on the bottom of my foot plate to push my heels up and achieve the same affect.
ion wrote:Specific to the original Burn thigh braces, I did this for several folks including myself: (Image too big to include inline)
http://www.ianbuckley.net/outfitting/P0000698.JPG
Basically the original soft padding has new holes made in it and moved further around the thigh. Between the soft padding and the rigid thigh brace is a curved piece of stiff polythene cut from a Nalgene drink bottle and glued in place. Presumably this could be any type of suitably curved plastic that's approximately the radius of your inner thigh, perhaps some type of larger diameter sewer pipe etc as long as it was not a materi that had the propensity to shatter leaving a jagged edge rather than just deform harmlessly if over stressed.
Ian, I'm very jealous of this boat, it looks super snug.. I imagine your change is effectively similar to this, but I don't think this is going ahead any more....

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”