A Great Kayaking BA - Just to put it out there

Inland paddling
StoneWeasel

A Great Kayaking BA - Just to put it out there

Post by StoneWeasel »

Hey dudes,

I recently was in a quandary over what new BA to buy, mainly for playboating but a bit of creeking (I love the gnar me).
There is a massive selection out there but they are all really expensive, some are over £100!
I am an avid water drinker, still, fizzy, mineral, spring, I can chug a litre faster than anyone I know so I am somewhat of an expert on the subject, well I decided to take a punt and go for a much cheaper alternative relevant to my water drinking recreational activity.

Well I am a bloody genius, this was an amazing decision, you can go with the style of bottle and branding you want (I have decided to be a swanky bugger and have gone with the Evian look) and the fit is amazing, you barely notice you are wearing anything and there is so much adjustment just have to use the correct amount of string for you. I laugh at all you idiots that are paying over the odds for expensive and totally unnecessary BAs. This is a cheap great looking and totally safe alternative, go get yourself one now.

twopigs

Re: A Great Kayaking BA - Just to put it out there

Post by twopigs »

This forum is getting like Shopping Channel
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Ian Dallaway

Post by Ian Dallaway »

It looks good but......
........How can you seriously consider using it in whitewater. It hasn't got a chest harness!!!!!
Ian

Strad

Post by Strad »

I'm sure I've already seen a vid of some russian paddler using one of these.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Ian Dallaway wrote:It looks good but......
........How can you seriously consider using it in whitewater. It hasn't got a chest harness!!!!!
The advantage of this design is you can just tie another bit of string around it and ta da you have yourself a chest harness. This BA is TOTALLY SAFE FOR WHITEWATER, I have thought about it for a couple of minutes and EVERYTHING.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

This is not designed for multi-limbed use. YOU SHALL NOT PASS.

Wildwood Wil

Post by Wildwood Wil »

How about i give you the money and you can make me one as i'm not so good with knots, but i'd like it colour coded with my brown boat ! If anyone else wants a boat i've got a woodshed full, take your pick!

(Sorry i couldnt resist, the threads seem to get worse the dryer it gets outside!)

Sayno2playboats

Post by Sayno2playboats »

10/10 for brightening up a dreich day. M

morsey

Post by morsey »

Nice. Torpedo dog. :-)

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

A BA with integrated hydration - great stuff! Just fill with water before getting on the river!
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Ian Dallaway

Post by Ian Dallaway »

StoneWeasel wrote:
Ian Dallaway wrote:It looks good but......
The advantage of this design is you can just tie another bit of string around it and ta da you have yourself a chest harness. This BA is TOTALLY SAFE FOR WHITEWATER, I have thought about it for a couple of minutes and EVERYTHING.
I can't believe I didn't think of that myself - obvious really!
A BA with integrated hydration - great stuff! Just fill with water before getting on the river
Actually how about using one as a hydration bottle and the other as a pee bottle - just don't get them mixed up!
Ian

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Funny, but I'm going to object. You are just taking the P!$$ out of someone who I think initially honestly posted a thread with the intent of giving the paddlers some advice about saving money. He was shot down in a way that made him feel that he had been backed into a corner, so had to justify himself (whether he did that in a suitable way is arguable). He may have his facts wrong (I've only gained my bits of technical knowledge on the subject from the resultant replies) but I think he was giving an honest suggestion. Since he has only been a member of this forum since 20th August this year I think you should cut him a bit more slack. (AFAIK I've never met and don't know who the OP is.)

Basically, play nicer!

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Big Henry wrote:Funny, but I'm going to object. You are just taking the P!$$ out of someone who I think initially honestly posted a thread with the intent of giving the paddlers some advice about saving money. He was shot down in a way that made him feel that he had been backed into a corner, so had to justify himself (whether he did that in a suitable way is arguable). He may have his facts wrong (I've only gained my bits of technical knowledge on the subject from the resultant replies) but I think he was giving an honest suggestion. Since he has only been a member of this forum since 20th August this year I think you should cut him a bit more slack. (AFAIK I've never met and don't know who the OP is.)

Basically, play nicer!
If the OP of the other thread had posted asking if that helmet was a good idea then I would have cut them all the slack they could use but they didn't, they had a bad / dangerous idea on how to save a couple of quid, went with it and then posted a thread encouraging others to do the same. When challenged they continued to spout ill informed justification for their idea never questioning if the masses that were opposed to there idea might be onto something. All in all it was a reckless idea posted in hope of everyone agreeing and congratulating them on there good thinking, when it didn't go that way they threw their toys out of the pram.
Did I need to take the piss, of course not but this is the internet and one thing modern technology has delivered to us with this wondrous invention is a damn fine place to take the proverbial.

I am serious about the BA solution though, I am just wondering how I go about getting one CE tested so I can use it in competition.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

Henry I see people like that "selling" junk on all kinds of different forums all the time. They know what they're doing...

I think "SponsonGuy" would love this one, though :P

jackmyster

Post by jackmyster »

All in all it was a reckless idea posted in hope of everyone agreeing and congratulating them on there good thinking, when it didn't go that way they threw their toys out of the pram.
nooo i didn't throw any toys out of the pram dude!?

jackmyster

Post by jackmyster »

Stone weasel,

You forgot the " ...:)"!

livefortheriver

Post by livefortheriver »

This will go great with my new creeking helmet, its a bit like a cycling helmet but its really naf and crap

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw »

Ieuan :)

jackmyster

Post by jackmyster »

haha guys, i would delete the original " new kayaking helmet just to put it out there" if i could but i can't see how to!? :)

markg

Post by markg »

I am serious about the BA solution though, I am just wondering how I go about getting one CE tested so I can use it in competition.[/quote]
I have some sticky stickers with the CE tested logo i can lend to anyone so that probably qualifies me to announce that I am the supreme expert on all fings that we can stick da buggers on anything that people want me to (at a good price) so please go forth and don't panic it'll be a awright! Ps I am not affiliated to any paddling related products / company YET! Pp
s an awesome b.a . modelled by a perfect example of today's modern paddler maybe?

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

jackmyster wrote:haha guys, I would delete the original " new kayaking helmet just to put it out there" if I could but I can't see how to!? :)
Just ask a moderator. Click the ! symbol at the top right to "report this post" and ask for it to be deleted. Although there is some useful info in the thread about the different types of plastic, to help people understand better why a cycling helmet is a *really* bad idea....

morsey

Post by morsey »

Stoney you have started a marketing trend!

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

StoneWeasel wrote:I recently was in a quandary over what new BA to buy, mainly for playboating but a bit of creeking (I love the gnar me).
(I have decided to be a swanky bugger and have gone with the Evian look) and the fit is amazing,
I would never have guessed from your avatar that you are in fact a small depressed looking dog.
You live and learn.....
Giles

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler »

There is clearly no need for a helmet or BA, you can also replace the boat with a inflatable from the local beach shop...

Spotted on the Dart a few years back
Mark Gawler

morsey

Post by morsey »

Big Henry wrote:You are just taking the P!$$ out of someone who I think initially honestly posted a thread with the intent of giving the paddlers some advice about saving money.
I thought that too, until I re read the OP, then I noticed the same sales pitch in the For Sale section, then I read that the chap worked in a bike shop. Rather than take the piss I emailed the bike shop pointing out the lack of CE numbers and unsuitability of the product, and asking them for a comment. But none of that actually matters because we have had our gaze distracted twice over!! Take a close look at Stoney's dog, what do you see? A buoyancy aid! Have a look down at this dogs feet. It does not need a buoyo. It is walking on water!!! Stoneweasel has a dog, that walks on water. That, my friends, is a sign!!

GumGum

Post by GumGum »

Mark Gawler wrote:There is clearly no need for a helmet or BA, you can also replace the boat with a inflatable from the local beach shop...

Spotted on the Dart a few years back
Love it, didn't see that thread first time around. What some people don't realise is just what a water-worthy extreme sports craft the beach-shop inflatable dinghy is:

Article here: http://magicseaweed.com/Porthleven-Ding ... #pageTitle

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”