Kayak Session Short Film of the Year

Inland paddling
maximoso

Kayak Session Short Film of the Year

Post by maximoso »

Tom_Laws

Re: Kayak Session Short Film of the Year

Post by Tom_Laws »

Excellent, 30 minutes of premium kayaksport.

Unknown was good - nice slick edit.

Inga - I'd rather watch the full film

EG's Royal Flush - Shite music.

BombFlow - Their usual mix of twixtor slowmo and tight filmwork on waterfalls made more pleasant by not having to listen to them witter on about their trust funds. Probably the best musicality (Just watched Chilie - that wins)

Next Generation - Lovely story and very engaging for kayakers and non-kayakers from a bunch of chaps without Tribe stickers.

Chilie - Has British Chaps in it, so must be the winner, and Deckgrabs, superb musicallity and creative camerawork. While not the super HD of Bombflow or Inga these boyos didn't have Red Bull's dosh.

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton »

Tom_Laws wrote:BombFlow - Their usual mix of twixtor slowmo and tight filmwork on waterfalls made more pleasant by not having to listen to them witter on about their trust funds. Probably the best musicality (Just watched Chilie - that wins)

Next Generation - Lovely story and very engaging for kayakers and non-kayakers from a bunch of chaps without Tribe stickers.
Lol,

freddie

Post by freddie »

Tom_Laws wrote:Chilie - Has British Chaps in it, so must be the winner, and Deckgrabs, superb musicallity and creative camerawork. While not the super HD of Bombflow or Inga these boyos didn't have Red Bull's dosh.
A sensible choice for a winner, all done with a budget of one long stick, some pisco and about 400 avocados.
Lee Royle
Adventure Blog

tambakosi

Post by tambakosi »

I like how after you vote it gives you the percentage of votes for each film - Breathless currently in second place behind Evan Garcia.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

freddie wrote:
Tom_Laws wrote:Chilie - Has British Chaps in it, so must be the winner, and Deckgrabs, superb musicallity and creative camerawork. While not the super HD of Bombflow or Inga these boyos didn't have Red Bull's dosh.
A sensible choice for a winner, all done with a budget of one long stick, some pisco and about 400 avocados.
Well then lets get behind the Brits. Hurrah for Blighty!

Green.media

Post by Green.media »

Defiantly got to be breathless in Chile (not that im biased!) Nigel is a top bloke and its great to see some work that isn't tribe, red bull, bomb flow or any of the other big budgets in the short list

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Chile in the lead at the moment....

*cameron*

Post by *cameron* »

Bomb flow for the win, or evan garcia !!!

-Ginge-

Post by -Ginge- »

*cameron* wrote:Bomb flow for the win, or evan garcia !!!
Is that because it's cool to like Bomb Flow or do you genuinely think it's better?

*cameron*

Post by *cameron* »

ouch! i think it was genuinely better, I like that sort of thing, and are you just jumping on the bandwagon of haters who dont like bomb flow and co?

EvanGarcia

Post by EvanGarcia »

Haters gonna hate...

This shit just got real.

NigelMarkey

Post by NigelMarkey »

freddie wrote: A sensible choice for a winner, all done with a budget of one long stick, some pisco and about 400 avocados.
Mas Pisco. Mucho mas Pisco.

I'm massively grateful to everyone whose viewed, voted and supported Breathless in Chile. Winning would mean a lot. I said it on Facebook and I'll say it here, being considered alongside the names in the Final 6 is an absolute privilege.

As a token of my gratitude, have a photo of Tim Burne I took last weekend:
Breathless in Chile: http://vimeo.com/39756812

morsey

Post by morsey »

I would have gone for unknown but for the fact the narrative claimed to 'live a simple life to experience the wealth', at the same time as brand placement top end kayak products! I went for the Chile vote in the end because I liked the angles. I did like the story of going back to run the whole Royal canyon, but the story wasn't expanded upon. And, what was the freestyle section about? Also, Fisher is such a drama queen, whenever he takes a swim, he makes out like it was the event of the year, you swam dude suck it in. The collective was all a bit Bromance, where were the ladies hucking their stuff?

NigelMarkey

Post by NigelMarkey »

morsey wrote:I did like the story of going back to run the whole Royal canyon, but the story wasn't expanded upon.
Thank you for the vote!

The original Black Canyon edit was 12 minutes long - and absolutely spectacular. They cut it down to fit in the 5 minute slot and I think it lost some of the magic. If there was a "Medium Length Film of the Year", this would be my winner:

Breathless in Chile: http://vimeo.com/39756812

tobym

Post by tobym »

Breathless got my vote too!

alexpethybridge

Post by alexpethybridge »

NigelMarkey wrote:
The original Black Canyon edit was 12 minutes long - and absolutely spectacular. They cut it down to fit in the 5 minute slot and I think it lost some of the magic. If there was a "Medium Length Film of the Year", this would be my winner:

Agreed.

My vote for Chile.

Also I understand a trailer is a short film, but I think its a bit cheeky to put the Congo trailer in as a short film when its definitely a promo for a feature length film.
Some days are diamonds

Hendri Coetzee

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Chilie - Has British Chaps in it
Reminds me of a comment in some book by a special forces guy I read once. Something along the lines of "The Americans have Highly Trained Special Forces Rangers. We have Chaps."

Gotta be honest, not many of those films grabbed me. I went with Black Canyon because they actually made an attempt at a narrative. Garcia and the like just seem to pimp their videos to hell despite them not being particularly well made, shot or edited. Just a random collection of handheld shots of people falling off cliffs followed by lots of self congratulation.

I agree, entering Congo was a bit cheeky. I wouldn't say he was a drama queen for swims though. In Congo he ran out of air and I think he used up two of those emergency supply canisters in the process! Though apart from Halo Effect I haven't seen his other stuff. I think it is good of him to put his swims in. A lot of people like Garcia would cut out all their botched lines and swims.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Next kayak movie I'm looking forward to is Ben Brown's Flow Hunters.

tambakosi

Post by tambakosi »

I have to say I found the narrative a bit annoying on Black Canyon - maybe it was just the guys voice. Also didn't really explain itself to well, even the longer version I still felt lost.

I actually liked Halo Effect more than Congo. I like to see it when the pro's get it wrong and they don't hide it.

Flow Hunters looks really good, was a good interview with Ben Brown on NZ tv:

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton »

Breathless in chile gets my vote great film, I reckon the english dudes need the 10,000 dollars more than the bombflow dudes,

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Chile film all the way for me, loved it. Thanks gents. Genuinely mystified as to how you got some of the shots.

Is the river at 3.58 the Lajo?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

freddie

Post by freddie »

Mark R wrote:Chile film all the way for me, loved it. Thanks gents. Genuinely mystified as to how you got some of the shots.

Is the river at 3.58 the Lajo?
It's the Laja, yeah. And the shots really were just done with a long stick.
Lee Royle
Adventure Blog

maximoso

Post by maximoso »

Cheeky 2 day reminder, the current standings are

*1st* ~34%, Unknown - Aniol Serrasolses
*2nd* ~ 29%, Breathless in Chile
*3rd* ~ 17%, Congo, The Grand Inga Project
*4th* (tie) ~ 6%, Best of Bomb Flow and The Royal Flush
*6th* ~ 5%, Black Canyon, The Next Generation

Vote Here

rory_inglis

Post by rory_inglis »

How has the congo film gone from having 17% of the vote to now having 27 % of the vote !?!?!?

Its basically managed to double its vote in two days.

Assuming none of the other videos got any votes since the 14th when maximoso posted up the percentage. The Congo film would have to gain 70% more votes that it already had. This is for a film which since the 14th has had 370 views at time of writing. yet for the past 9 weeks has around 4,400 views and has been viewed around 22,0000 times in total.
I wasn't sure when the voting started but the kayaksession edit of the 6 finalist's was posted up two months ago so i assumed that 9 weeks ago was roughly when voting started.

Anyone else thinking those stats are looking a bit funny? Well consider then that that 70% increase in the Congo's vote from the 14th relates to a 12.5% increase in overall total vote in the same few days!

Maybe I'm getting to be suspicious, or maybe its the fact I have exams and this seemed a great way to procrastinate, but those stats look weird to me.

Personally I think the Chile one is the best and one I still like watching great shots and a nice edit with good music, anyone know what the songs where?

EddR

Post by EddR »

rory_inglis wrote: Personally I think the Chile one is the best and one I still like watching great shots and a nice edit with good music, anyone know what the songs where?

The last song was He Films The Clounds part 2 by Maybeshewill.

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

rory_inglis wrote:How has the congo film gone from having 17% of the vote to now having 27 % of the vote !?!?!?

Its basically managed to double its vote in two days.

Assuming none of the other videos got any votes since the 14th when maximoso posted up the percentage. The Congo film would have to gain 70% more votes that it already had. This is for a film which since the 14th has had 370 views at time of writing. yet for the past 9 weeks has around 4,400 views and has been viewed around 22,0000 times in total.
I wasn't sure when the voting started but the kayaksession edit of the 6 finalist's was posted up two months ago so I assumed that 9 weeks ago was roughly when voting started.

Anyone else thinking those stats are looking a bit funny? Well consider then that that 70% increase in the Congo's vote from the 14th relates to a 12.5% increase in overall total vote in the same few days!

Maybe I'm getting to be suspicious, or maybe its the fact I have exams and this seemed a great way to procrastinate, but those stats look weird to me.
I've had an email from Fishmunga asking me to vote for them, I assume it was for this but I didn't pay much attention to it and have already deleted it. If they emailed everyone on their mailing list it may have got a lot of votes in a few days from people who bought the Congo film and didn't bother watching the short film.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”