New Playboat Needed...

Inland paddling
Daffers

New Playboat Needed...

Post by Daffers » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:15 am

Hello,

Doing some research for a mate that does not have internet access..

Steve is 6ft, 200lbs (ish), and maybe size 10 feet...

He has an EZ, but its getting too small for him now...

This is what hes said...

I want a very fast hulled (for ocean surfing) with enough 'pop' for loops (both flat water and in Holes) and the ability to get controllable air. The last statement needs clarifying... both the EZ and blaze can get air on fast ocean waves.

The blaze when paddled at Easter was completely nuts. Pick up a big wave and the speed the boat was moving at, combined with rocker etc made nose go skyward. When vertical it would stop rising and back end catch in the green and go wack back onto the face of the wave and carry on surfing. Mental! The EZ skips down waves. I want a boat I can carve into the air. I also want it fairly loose, so spins, and doesn't need fighting.

The EZ is an old boat. I think it was designed pre aerials. Its hull is very slow hence catching waves is a nightmare. I also think the volume is too low for loops. If you want you could find out whether for my size carved aerials and loops are possible in the EZ and I haven't got the skill or have I got to the limit of what is possible in it? One advantage it had was it would play in every play spot, except the very fast ones.

I know that all playboats perform differently in different spots. I want on I can work to getting all the moves on every feature.

OK, I have just C & P what Steve sent me... So what do people think? hes going to test drive as many boats at Shepperton White Water Centre next weekend, so any imput by Saturday night would be great!

Thanks.....

Daf

P.S. I would need to sell the EZ. How much for? Fair condition etc...)
JP Lives Forever

Grumpy Fisherman

Post by Grumpy Fisherman » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:43 am

You want a fast wave boat to go aerial... get a Crazy 88!! Just bought one myself (6ft5, 12st, size 13feet), and although I'm nowhere near good enough to make it fly, taking it surfing at Scarborough was an experience... really, REALLY quick on the wave, super-light and short, and even I can throw it around (a bit, but then I am pretty rubbish). The rails are super-sharp, and while its not very forgiving, its nice to know you cant get away with sloppy technique ;)

The boat is incredibly comfortable, especially on the feet. I've had real difficulty finding boatsthat I can fit into, especially ones that are shorter than me (an Air 60 and a Chronic are the only other two, the first was like paddling a huge cork and the Chronic gave me serious foot problems)! I've got a Crazy 88 6.3, and you may fit into the smaller 6.1. But from my limited experience of this boat, I've loved it so far... Im taking it down the Upper Tees tomorrow, so will see how it handles G III/IV, but I'd recommend it to anyone right now.

Hope this is (relatively) useful.

Owen

PS. The damage is £850, but I'm sure you can haggle the price down a bit!

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:23 pm

If you want a boat with some pop that will carve into the air and stil play on a river you only have 1 choice and that is a Dragorossi Fish. It has by far the fastest carviest hull on the market at the moment

andy i

Post by andy i » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:35 pm

The Dragorossi Fish might have a fast ish hull, but the rest of the boat is no good for man or beast!
Right now I'm paddling a Necky Orbit Fish. Now this boat is fast, very fast.
Plus it will bounce, crave, loop, cartwheel and you don't need a PHD to work out the fitting ( unlike the Dragorossi).

I'm 6'.1" size 11 feet and just a pinch under 200 pounds.

I had mine out in the surf today in north Devon. It was super fast down the line and gets air like you would not belive.
A friend had a Super Star and wanted a go in my boat.
There is now a Super Star for sale if any one wants one.

jay

Re: New Playboat Needed...

Post by jay » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:34 am

I want a very fast hulled (for ocean surfing) with enough 'pop' for loops (both flat water and in Holes) and the ability to get controllable air.

I want a boat I can carve into the air. I also want it fairly loose, so spins, and doesn't need fighting.

I know that all playboats perform differently in different spots. I want on I can work to getting all the moves on every feature.
These are some of the reasons that I paddle a Necky Orbit Fish. It is also slicy and balanced for cartwheels. It should be comfortable for someone your size.

Daffers

Post by Daffers » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:07 pm

Thank-You one and all for all your inputs - notes all noted and will be sent on when hes back form Finland on Saturday night!

Daf
JP Lives Forever

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”