Bad Customer Service - Desperate Measures?

Inland paddling
Jammers86

Bad Customer Service - Desperate Measures?

Post by Jammers86 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:48 am

I just popped down to Desperate Measures in Nottingham to buy a new dry-cag, I'd seen their Sweet range on the website and fancied one for my trip to Scotland on Saturday. When I got there vans were being loaded, and I walked into the shop (it was open) which was pretty bare.

A minute later a lad came and asked me if I wanted any help, I asked about the Sweet cags and he said they'd been loaded on to the van, he went to ask and was told they weren't accessible but would be back on Monday. The van was less than a 1/4 full. They didnt offer any alternatives, ask what I wanted, or how they could help or offer any apologies

Am I old fashioned? I just don't think that's acceptable customer service - considering I wanted to spend a couple of hundred quid -and for the outdoor industry, shocking. I'm glad its only a 3 mile drive from my house!

I did tell them that if they didn't want my money I'd spend it somewhere that did.

On that note can any recommendations, bearing in mind I could do with something for Friday!
James Graham

newkid

Re: Bad Customer Service - Desperate Measures?

Post by newkid » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:22 am

I'd say that's pretty unusual as they've always been good to me over the years. Normally have a cup of tea and a chat. Everyone has a bad day now and again though. Hope you get your new cag sorted out!

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:23 am

They often exhibit at shows and do canoe club demo days on weekends. They'll most likely have loaded stock into the van to take to an evnt, then bring it back and unload on Sunday.

If you're after a Sweet cag just drop in on Monday - especially if you're only 3 miles away! The guys at Des Mes have always been good to me, so sounds like you caught them on an off day...

Jammers86

Post by Jammers86 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:27 am

I'm going away on Friday unfortunately, for a weeks kayaking.... So I'll have to track a cag down before then.
James Graham

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:47 am

They spent 3 hours fixing my boat for no charge. Id rate their customer service as incredible.

jon a

Post by jon a » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:58 am

They are off to the Scottish Canoe Show in Perth. A quick look at their website brings up http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/pad ... ws/?p=4008 which explains that they are having to shut the shop as all the stock and staff are going to be in Scotland.

I realise you were a few days before they said they were going to be closed but I'm quite sure you've caught them on a bad day as they have always been more than helpful and accommodating to me ... so much so that I ended up helping them at shows, events and open days such as the Scottish Canoe Show (stressful times).
You learn something new every day, most times it is that what you learnt yesterday was in fact wrong!

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:46 pm

I'm pretty sure if you had explained your situation they would have looked into unloading the box with the cags in - the whole objective of going to show and events is to enhance their customer relationship, not damage it by annoying personal callers.....
You might have got someone drafted in to help loading rather than one of the more customer oriented full time staff.

You could try calling again and explaining your situation? Maybe phone first to avoid a wasted trip?

chucky240

Post by chucky240 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:09 pm

I have always found their service to be second to none.
I would say that it's a one off they have always bend over backwards to help

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:04 pm

I don't have a bad word to say about them, they have always been very helpful.

With the feedback on here, maybe someone should edit the thread title.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:I don't have a bad word to say about them, they have always been very helpful.

With the feedback on here, maybe someone should edit the thread title.
At least this thread title has a question mark at the end.

I think the point is that if they have emptied the shop of all its decent cags and someone comes in to buy one maybe one member of staff could have been spared for 20 mins to dig out the right box and give a customer some advice, the profit would have covered the fuel to the north. Or do you have to walk in there with your wad in your hand?
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:06 pm

They are going to a show in Scotland, you are going to Scotland. Save the fuel of conveying a cag up North and buy it when you get there.

Jammers86

Post by Jammers86 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:51 pm

I did put a question mark at the end for a reason...... I think sickboy articulates my issue better than me!

Anyway, it's happened now, and I feel less aggrieved than I did this morning about the whole issue.
James Graham

minty

Post by minty » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 pm

It's always best once you have aired your grievances because it takes the annoyance factor down a bit. I have bought from DM before (Internet sales, WWPF event and Scottish paddlesport show) Definitely no complaints over service or prices. If you are coming to Scotland why don't you drop into the event at Perth. There will be several exhibitors with kit for sale as well as DM and you could have a new cag before the beginning of the week. (Me, if I can swing it will be looking for a drysuit or a helmet or anything shiny)

alick
Ambition and ability I've got too much of one and very little of the other

GlennT

Post by GlennT » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:28 pm

This does sound a bit unfortunate but at the same time, from what you have said, I think it's also out of character with DM's normal high level of customer service, based on my own and others experiences. But as has been said, every one can have a bad day...

I hope you get sorted soon? Incidentally, though it probably wont meet your deadline, Sweet online were doing big savings on last year's Shadrach and Prophercy cags. Though you have to pay a standard £25 on top of any purchase for courier and customs. Even so they are big savings on rrp.

Glenn

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:54 am

Write to the BBC so they can make another dull programme about your non event. And, they can tell us, before showing us your dull non event, that they are going to show us your dull non event with a few clips of the dull non event. Then they will show case the dull non event by reshowing the dull non event clips again, before recapping on such a hideously dull non event with a third rerun of the dull non event VT's. Leaving us with no uncertainty that we had just been witness to another incredibly dull non event.

Here is how the BBC would have done it:

Some plink plonk hashed theme tune, with another generic face of the beeb, complete with monotonous voice announcing:
"He is going to go shopping". Close up of him going shopping. Narrated track to exaggerate how important the shopping is.
"He is shopping". Close up of him shopping. Over laid sound track to audibly amplify the sound as the poor little soul lets out a whimper at not getting what he wants.
"He went shopping". Close up of him shopping. Subtitle explaining that the person had to travel a whole two extra miles to the next canoe shop.
"Coming up next episode, a man wanted a blue jumper, but they didn't have it in his size". VT: Flashing blue lights, screeching tyres and sirens, Police running into shop, Guns pointed at shop assistant...

Santa has the right idea; Two lists. And I'm pretty certain, after going to the toy shop and then having a paddy, you're on the naughty list.

steve4746

Post by steve4746 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:12 am

I for one have had nothing but really good customer service from them! I think if you gave them a call and let them have the opportunity to put things right they would.
its all character building!!

Strad

Post by Strad » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 am

I have to agree with most of the responses here, I've always found great service there.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Ross M

Post by Ross M » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:45 am

I've found there service to be very good and a 3 mile drive is hardly a big trip. I am sure they would have dug you one out if they had asked.

I recommend to anyone that they call ahead and ask if their product in an range of sizes is in stock. Paddling shops are not holding much stock at all as it's money just sat around. So stock changes very quickly, I am sure if you had rang ahead they would keep one
behind the the desk for you to try.

Hope you find your cag

Ross

Jammers86

Post by Jammers86 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:04 pm

For the sake of clairty I checked stock and sizes on their website before heading in and when I got there infromed them I needed it there and then, giving the opportunity to rectify it, but they didn't.
James Graham

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:58 pm

In defence of the OP - he's getting a bit of stick for moaning - it does sound like he had a bit of a bum deal - even if it was a one off.
The good thing about forums like this is that they are widely available for many paddlers to see and it places the power, to a degree with the purchaser and keeps manufacturers/suppliers on their toes.
He wasn't slagging DM off or rude, just saying he felt a bit poorly served and asking if it was a one-off?

Hope you get a cag sorted in time. [Or just get a drysuit and change your life forever]
dave

roo

Post by roo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:22 am

I'm with Mr Bland here.

There are some responses to the OP written by those who have clearly failed to read the first post.

For what it's worth, (not that much :-) ), my opinion is:

1) DM missed out on your cash.
2) There was clearly miscommunication on site

My question, for the sake of the forum ;-) :

Did you say: "I can see you've packed the cags in the van, I'll not quibble for a discount if you haul one out. I need to buy today."

Or did you say: "Any chance I can look at the Sweet cags? I might be buying."

I've read the post, and I've a feeling you didn't make your message and situation clear to get the response you did.

morsey

Re: Bad Customers - Desperate Measures

Post by morsey » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:30 am

I read the first post. I noted the point that the Jammers left it until three days before a trip to attempt to buy a cag. Had they gone even one day earlier they probably would have been sorted. The issue of pressing timescale does not directly pass onto DM as a customer service issue. It is the customer who created the timescale, and it was just unlucky timing, now I'm sure Jammers's mates will pop up and extol the efficiency that he normally demonstrates when buying/replacing canoeing equipment and pry that angle to make us feel a bit more sympathy. As I see it there are very reasonable considerations, which may not have been apparent to jammers, that would make it not possible to have unloaded items off the van. We are only being given one side of the story, has any politeness has been extended to DM by the OP informing them of the existence of this thread? Having read the first post I get the feeling DM would not be expecting a thread of this nature. The comms described a request for a cag, an apology that they were not available, an exchange of comms between staff, and a date given when they would be available.

My assessment is It was unfortunate timing and there is a bit sympathy for that. But you are going to take some ribbing for leaving it to the last minute to buy a cag and then moan about shopping on the internet. :-) Due to the lateness of the purchase prior to the trip, and if I was desperate for a cag, I personally would have just gone two minutes down the road to the PeakUK shop and looked to see what they had to offer. The weather forecast says snow in Scotland so I hope you get a cag sorted. :-)

Jim

Re: Bad Customers - Desperate Measures

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:16 am

morsey wrote:We are only being given one side of the story, has any politeness has been extended to DM by the OP informing them of the existence of this thread?
I was planning to make Barry aware of it at the weekend, however since my cold has taken a turn for the worse I am no longer expecting to make it to the show. If someone else could have a word I'm sure he would appreciate it.

Interesting when you read through, almost all the replies are in favour of DM so can't be doing too bad overall?

I note that in a later reply the OP says he had already tried some of my suggestions earlier.

Iain W

Post by Iain W » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Not my experience:

I borrowed a set of new club splits for my 4* (Midland CC) which had never been used.

Two days before my assessment I thought I should check how they go together and it turned out they didn't. :)
I emailed the shop and got a reply that evening. As I was on a training course that day Danny let me pick another set from his house that evening on my way home and drop the other set at a later date.

Awesome service!

I know the shop has been bought out by the staff but the new owners were also involved in sorting this for me.

hodgkins

Post by hodgkins » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Sounds like you've developed 'grumpy old man syndrome' without realising. It may come as a shock, but there's nothing you can do about it. On behalf of around 50% of the UKRGB members, welcome to the club.
Dave

dave4423

Post by dave4423 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:32 pm

morsey wrote:Write to the BBC so they can make another dull programme about your non event. And, they can tell us, before showing us your dull non event, that they are going to show us your dull non event with a few clips of the dull non event. Then they will show case the dull non event by reshowing the dull non event clips again, before recapping on such a hideously dull non event with a third rerun of the dull non event VT's. Leaving us with no uncertainty that we had just been witness to another incredibly dull non event.

Here is how the BBC would have done it:

Some plink plonk hashed theme tune, with another generic face of the beeb, complete with monotonous voice announcing:
"He is going to go shopping". Close up of him going shopping. Narrated track to exaggerate how important the shopping is.
"He is shopping". Close up of him shopping. Over laid sound track to audibly amplify the sound as the poor little soul lets out a whimper at not getting what he wants.
"He went shopping". Close up of him shopping. Subtitle explaining that the person had to travel a whole two extra miles to the next canoe shop.
"Coming up next episode, a man wanted a blue jumper, but they didn't have it in his size". VT: Flashing blue lights, screeching tyres and sirens, Police running into shop, Guns pointed at shop assistant.
Good grief morsey! I'm not sure that the OP deserved this level of vitriol - maybe you were having a bad day as your later post was a bit more considered.

Madsalty

Post by Madsalty » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi,

I'll vouch for desperate measures's customer service. Not only have they always gone out of their way to give me competitive prices when asked, but last year i bought a cag and promptly lost weight before i could use it. Whilst it was unused (with tags) it was 6 months after the date of purchase and wasn't a current stock line but they still exchanged it for an equivalent, albeit smaller cag.

Kind Regards,
Mad

morsey

Re: Bad Customer - Desperate Measures

Post by morsey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:16 pm

dave4423 wrote:Good grief morsey! I'm not sure that the OP deserved this level of vitriol - maybe you were having a bad day as your later post was a bit more considered.
Dave it's okay it was banter, and doesn't come up to the standard bench mark for vitriol!

WaterStillScaresMe

Post by WaterStillScaresMe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Have to add another vote of confidence for DM. As it happens I was at the paddle show at the weekend - and it was DM in particular who let me try on two drysuits. The sales person was patient, polite, helpful, friendly - even though I was looking at the bottom of the range and didn't indicate any likelyhood that I'd purchase - and despite the inevitable faff time needed. Indeed I was clear that this was initial research, and it would be pretty clear to them that living in Scotland (I said this) there was a good chance I'd buy elsewhere - but I had lots of help.
I hope that my posting here is in fact a good way to say thanks for this help.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”