Large Fusion for 80kg noob

Inland paddling
Nutty

Large Fusion for 80kg noob

Post by Nutty »

Hello all,
I am completely new to the sport and have a large Pyranha Fusion (80 - 120+ kgs).
I currently find it impossible to paddle in a straight line, 360s are inevitable without the skeg down. I can succeed for 10 strokes max but am soon crabbing down the river or facing the wrong way.
With the skeg down it is fine but I don't want to rely on it.
My questions,
1. Is this boat too big for me, making it too easy to turn? I know it says 80 kg as a min.
I assume with less weight it sits higher in the water giving less contact area with the water making it easier to turn.
2. Is it just a lack of skill on my part which coaching should fix?
Pardon any typical noob references to nautical terms.
Thanks
Nutty

Sickboy

Re: Large Fusion for 80kg noob

Post by Sickboy »

Paddling in a straight line is probably the hardest thing you'll be trying to master till you learn to roll, it'll take time but it will come, the main thing is to keep the speed down, your in a fast boat by today's standards and it gets harder to maintain a straight line when your flying along.
Check your foot rests are equal and well adjusted, your hands are level on the paddle and concentrating on where your going.
Chin up, you'll be right soon enough

(oh and stick a crate of beer in the back to get your weight up)
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Ian.Adey

Post by Ian.Adey »

Hi,

To answer our questions,

1) At 80kg, your towards the bottom of the weight range but not too light for the boat,

Your right in saying

'I assume with less weight it sits higher in the water giving less contact area with the water making it easier to turn.'

But this doesent mean you won't be able to controll it.

2) Yep, easy to fix with some tecnique adjustment and coaching!

For something to practice - concentrate on keeping controll of the back of the boat, as it starts to spin out place the paddle in line with the dirrection you want to go (This will be on the side you are spinning towards) and then pull you bum / back of the boat boat back in line.

The skeg can be adjusted in increments, the higher up it is the easier the boat will spin, but the easier it will be to pull the back of the boat back in line.

Ian
Guiding and Coaching in the Lakes,UK & Europe

Nutty

Post by Nutty »

Cheers chaps,
I have more confidence in the suitability now.
Ian, you say about using the paddle on the side you want to go.
Do you mean pointing it above the water then using it as a virtual pivot point?
Or place it in the water (I assume on the opposite side, as a brake and bum the back end back into shape)?
Oh and great shout with the beer.
Thanks
Nutty

Stuart J Woodward

Post by Stuart J Woodward »

Hello,

The boat is huge! I prefer the medium and am of a similar weight.

Liam
S.J.Woodward

steve crofts

Post by steve crofts »

Hi Nutty

do you mean the old large Fusion or the new large Fusion.the old original Fusion was was 55 to 130kgs.
the dimensions of the old large are the same as the new medium which they now have downgraded 55 to 110kgs
the new large is 80 to 130kgs but is a much bigger boat 3cm wider and 60lts more volume.
you should,nt really be paddling a boat as big as the new large even though at 80kg you are at the lower end,
you really need a medium.
I am 105 kg and when i bought a new fusion this year i went for the medium even though with gear/clothing etc i am over 110kg.
not sure if this is the reason for your paddling problems but i would think in a new large you must have loads of freeboard.
steve

Nutty

Post by Nutty »

Well now,
I don't know how old it is, I would guess at least 3 years old. How would I go about knowing the difference? Boat number starts XJBE if that is any clue?

I went out today in a much faster current but with the above advice, I managed not to spin once. The old hip trick really made the difference.
I don't know any different, so a big boat could be a tiny boat for all I know. I'm much happier after today.
Thanks for the advice Ian.

steve crofts

Post by steve crofts »

hi ian

if it is 3 years old you have a old large/new medium which is the one you should be paddling.

steve

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”