Helmet Cams advice

Inland paddling
JRiz

Helmet Cams advice

Post by JRiz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi guys and gals, I'm a complete novice when it comes to what's best with any form of camera equipment but I'm wanting to get myself a helmet cam now that I'm becoming a more active paddler.

What's one of the best cameras for the lowest cost? I know GoPro seems to be a favourite, I just want a bit more information and if there are any out there that meet my very selective tastes.

In short, looking for one that is low profile, at least 720p, battery life of ~5 hours, a large or upgradable memory, preferably around £200 and attaches securely for the many, many times I'll need to be rolling.

Any advice or reviews?

Ta,

Josh

dhkayaking

Re: Helmet Cams advice

Post by dhkayaking » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Go Pro ticks all the boxes!

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:47 pm

It's gotta be the GoPro HD Hero 2.

I've heard a lot of hype about the new Sony offering but yet to see or have a play with one.

T

Finchy

Post by Finchy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Sorry to hyjack the thread a little but I have a go pro on the way.

What method to people use to fix the camera to their helmets?

Are the sticky pads strong enough?

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Yes the sticky pads are super strong.

JRiz

Post by JRiz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:05 pm

It appears that GoPro is the way to go, I see a lot of people attach them to the top of their helmets - I've been considering attaching one to just above the visor instead as I feel that having it on top would cause problems with rolling/get it hit or caught in things.

Where do people attach theirs and do you have these sorts of problems with your chosen location?

Bryn_420

Post by Bryn_420 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Finchy wrote:Sorry to hyjack the thread a little but I have a go pro on the way.

Sticky pads and a some decent string tied somewhere is what we normally do. If you headbutt a rock upside down the pads can come off

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Bryn_420 wrote:
Finchy wrote:Sorry to hyjack the thread a little but I have a go pro on the way.

Sticky pads and a some decent string tied somewhere is what we normally do. If you headbutt a rock upside down the pads can come off
Sorry to hijack the thread myself (although the main query does seem to have been resolved) but how do people attach Gropros to buoyancy aids? I'd rather have it fixed on my chest than my helmet. (I don't have a GoPro yet!)

LSmith4285

Post by LSmith4285 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Big Henry wrote:
Bryn_420 wrote:

Sorry to hijack the thread myself (although the main query does seem to have been resolved) but how do people attach Gropros to buoyancy aids? I'd rather have it fixed on my chest than my helmet. (I don't have a GoPro yet!)
There is a chest harness available from GoPro, link.

Finchy

Post by Finchy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Cheers folks.

The chest harness looks ok too. May invest in one of those!

My go pro has just turned up so will be playing tonight.

ianletton

Post by ianletton » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 pm

The Go Pro is very good.

I have heard good things about the Contour Roam and the new Sony is meant to be a strong rival but haven't used either so can't comment on them.

The chest harness for the Go Pro is cool but can make your arms and paddle look very long and gangly.

I mount mine mostly on top of my head.

On the water, I have no problems with it hitting off things or getting caught. However, when portaging, it gets caught in branches all the time and is exceptionally irritating and can also scratch the lens which isn't good.

I also have the handle bar mount which I have used for mountain biking. Can also be used on a roll cage of a car, paddle shaft or other circular bar. I used it on a yacht last week and it worked well too.

The sticky pads are super sticky. Important to follow the instructions for application, clean and dry the area thoroughly and leave for at least a few hours, but after that, it will take a lot to shift it.

Nonetheless, I always have a cord tied from my camera to my helmet as I have heard stories about people losing theirs and they do not float!!

Great cameras. Very easy to use and produce great quality stuff.

The 3rd version has just been released and I must say it is quite an appealing bit of kit so if you have the cash, I'd suggest splashing out and get the new "black" model.

Otherwise, I would assume that the new release will drop the cost of the 2nd version which will be good for people on a budget.

Have fun

Ian
IanLetton

JRiz

Post by JRiz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive response Ian! I saw the new Hero 3 had been released and it quite frankly sold it for me. I'm waiting on GoPro to get back to me regarding the expected UK release and cost but it's definitely something I've decided to splash out on.

Hopefully it'll be certificated in the UK soon so I'll be able to take it kayaking/skiing over Christmas.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”