Conwy falls..... Same mistake different day!

Inland paddling

Voodoo

Re: Conwy falls..... Same mistake different day!

Post by Voodoo »

I saw the picture doing the rounds on FB yesterday,

http://www.facebook.com/louise.charlott ... =1&theater
Pic by Tom Barrett

Hope that shows if not I shall try to re host somewhere else,
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Just for future reference, and should I ever find myself in this slightly tricky and embarrassing predicament, which rock is it that I should aim for as my my last ditch salvation? Anyone got a photo of this famous rock?

Kevin

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

Pic by Tom Barrett
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Please be outrageously cautious on the Middle Conwy. It's only one short rapid and a very quick wind down before you are round the corner and are going to find it tricky to stop. Here is part of the WelshRivers book - for free. Scout the take-out.
Please inspect the take-out before you paddle. Missing the take-out is not an option.The series of siphons, rock-jams and steep gorge walls that await below the bridge has led to a series of near misses and emergency service calls. Usually run as a continuation of the upper section, this section is a two hit wonder. After several rapids, the first grade 5 rapid is reached.
Inspect on the left hand side, and be aware of the rock in the landing of the final pourover. The second rapid, not far downstream, is The Gobbler. Inspect and portage on river left, where there is an established path and steps, should you not fancy the curling waves and
gobbling hole. Please stick to the path as the area is an SSSI and it would be irresponsible to wander freely in the woodland. Below The Gobbler are several short grade 4 rapids. Keep an eye out for signs of the take-out. There are bright yellow marker posts, and a blind corner. If you see the bridge it will probably be too late! Follow the path out of the woods and over the roadbridge to the Conwy Falls Cafe.

nomorfkindhalbhat

Post by nomorfkindhalbhat »

I remember a well known paddler making this mistake many years ago and demanding something be done about erecting some warning signs. Foxy came up with one of his cartoons featuring the paddler a huge " danger Conwy falls ahead" sign over the river and a series of flashing 3-2-1 motorwaway exit signs leading to the bank. Never saw it published though.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”