Club attendances.

Inland paddling
Glyn B

Club attendances.

Post by Glyn B »

We've reached the end of our summer season and rather worryingly we've had the quietest ever. Even the Olympic effect only brought one new member. The weather has been pretty grim in the North West but we've had bad years before and never had so few people turn up.
What's your experience this year?

Bod

Re: Club attendances.

Post by Bod »

Our pool session closed earlier this year due to lack of attendance. It was ultra informal - turn up as often or rarely as you like, no membership/formal club, and had run happily in that format for at least 12 years, always covering its costs. From the middle of last year, the kitty that had built up was whittled away and when it was all gone we closed. That was in relatively affluent Sidmouth in East Devon.
John B.

NathanE

Post by NathanE »

I've just joined up as a new paddler and club member at the end of the summer, along with half a dozen others at a local club to me. Not as a result of the olympic effect, 'cos I'd been paddling on my own for a year already and was ready to develop my skills with others but not hindered by it either.

I have to say to anyone out there who isn't a club member, I have found it to be a fantastic way to get advice, coaching, pool time, and importantly for me, the prospect of safer river time than just going solo. The fact that clubs also seem fairly well provided with a wide variety of kit including a range of boats to enable you to try before spending too much cash is brilliant too. I couldn't recommend getting involved too highly.

garya

Post by garya »

We are growing massivley this year though we have had lean time in the past..

Some of the things that worked for us to get pople in was about getting out and getting noticed.. paddling in public places where pople saw us in town on the river. birthday parties. Running special sessions for scouts and cadets got some members accross too.

The local council where also good to work with and we had stands or displays at sports events and at the local pool too. Ergo machines in the local shopping centre. Got lots of articals in the paper and took out the local reporter for a trip too. that was fun.

I suppose the thing we did was to get out and have an active promotion of events to outsiders away from our usual base to let people know who we where and what we did. We also had a broad range of activites from junior club to fitness paddles and over fifties club aimed at social get together.

Gary A

Goopsdad

Post by Goopsdad »

We had a feeling that we were massively down on last year, but upon counting we are just up on last years figures, though we've done more kids club based activities.
Since the olympics we've been really busy, lots of email enquiries, having to tell people that our courses are full etc.....
We put on a free open day that we didn't advertise too much, and I'm so glad we didn't as it went bonkers for 4 hours!
Our pool sessions will start this coming Sunday. They'll be full up until christmas. If the weather gets grim over winter we might be a bit light on bookings.
Next years courses I predict will be full up and it'll be the same few coaches doing all the work!

banburypaddler

Post by banburypaddler »

We've been inundated and have run out of boats on club sessions.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy »

My club has been slowly dropping its numbers for a little while but in the last few months we've been pushing the starter courses, so a decent influx of new members now, we normally have a small section of the club committed to the various divisions of slalom but many of the youngsters want to try it now (shep' last weekend was the first event for many of them) but the big winner seems to be our polo teams, huge interest. Luckily we have the boats to cover all this, one thing a large club has going for it.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Slime

Post by Slime »

We found that the start of the winter and the start of our pool sessions a bit quiet so last year ran a beginners course in the pool specifically aimed at adults. This was very successful and popular with a mix of parents and others. Most of the members were 40+ who had maybe done some paddling in the era of fibreglass boats with small cockpits. Our aim was all about building confidence, introducing people to modern kayaks and having fun in a zoned off area of the pool where there were no kids around!

Here are the details if you are interested -

Beginners Kayak Course
Wednesday evenings, Keswick Leisure Pool, 7 to 8 p.m. Nov 2cnd to Nov 23rd

Who for
Anyone who wants to learn the basics of kayaking and build confidence in the warm waters of Keswick swimming pool. You need no previous experience but should be a reasonable swimmer and happy getting your head wet.

This course is aimed at adults * who want to learn in a small group in a warm, supportive environment. We will be using modern plastic responsive white water kayaks. These and all necessary gear will be provided.

You will be in a small group of about 6 other adults with one or usually two BCU qualified instructors. We are planning a friendly, informal, but structured course where each week you will learn new skills and by the end of the course should feel confident and happy paddling a modern closed cockpit kayak.

If you wish to progress further the club can help you with advice and instruction at our regular sessions on a Wednesday evening – for example you may like to learn to eskimo roll – experts can do this without a paddle just using their hands!

Cost
Its free – well almost! You have to pay a total of £20 towards the use of the pool. There is no charge for instruction or use of equipment.
The course is for WCCC members and if you are not already a member you will need to join. (£30 a year gives many benefits including free use of club boats and equipment – see www.westcumbriacanoeclub.org).

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

We've had a steady increase in membership over the past 5 years. Our year ends in February but we don't get many newcomers after the end of the summer but this year's numbers are again up on last. We have not really had any Olympic effect since we do little racing to speak of.

twopigs

Post by twopigs »

Adrian Cooper wrote:We've had a steady increase in membership over the past 5 years. Our year ends in February but we don't get many newcomers after the end of the summer but this year's numbers are again up on last. We have not really had any Olympic effect since we do little racing to speak of.
Almost similar experience - a steady upward curve of members. Bunch of newcomers at the start of the summer season, but since July only two new members. Maybe they went elsewhere because we don't have racing and slalom available on day one...... Or maybe they were watching on TV or on holiday?
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

carlalvey

Post by carlalvey »

The club at hpp in nottingham has been really busy,most saturdays all the boats have been taken out.Which also causes a problem for them when there are over 40 people and a few coaches.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

We had the biggest attendance I can remember at a club session recently with 47 going on the water at once.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”