Lee Valley Improvements

Inland paddling
janet brown

Re: Lee Valley Improvements

Post by janet brown » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:27 pm

garya wrote:We dont have mountians, large open spaces or many natural rivers other then the thames..
Lee Valley is open to all and is supported by Londoners through coucil tax levy and also money raised from commercial activities. in its first year of operation the WW center took 1.9 million in sales easaliy breaking even on it's operating costs.
Gary A
+1
Good to hear its doing well financially, as its the nearest WW we have by many miles. 1.75 hours to LV, 4 to Devon.

Janet

enjoyer

Post by enjoyer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:14 pm

icklepaddler wrote:It looks good, its just a pity that the rest of the country couldn't have such funding spent on its facilities.

Silly me, I forgot that only London matters.
I guess you don't realise that Cheshunt (i.e. the home of Lee Valley WW) isn't actually in London?

Not sure the facts will change your prejudices but they may help your knowledge of geography. Hopefully you will visit LVWW one day and I would hate for you to get lost and end up mingling with the pampered and privileged city dwellers :)

LVWW is an amazing facility, let's just celebrate that it exists.

LJ

Post by LJ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:43 am

What it really needs is a big bank of solar water heaters. Make paddling in winter fun.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 am

WARM WATER!!!! Sell out, Just bank on spending an extra 30 mins defrosting in the shower after you paddle, although thats soft too, best be getting changed in the car park for the 'real' feel...
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:28 am

LJ wrote:What it really needs is a big bank of solar water heaters. Make paddling in winter fun.
But it does have a big bank of solar water heaters, by the pump! (I'm pretty sure, anyway!)

I swam at London Fields lido last week, that's 27C (warm in a swim suit). It takes a lot of gas to heat that up even an Olympic size pool like that, and it's really shallow - heating the lake at LV by even a couple of degrees would be a real challenge.
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Wadhamite wrote: But it does have a big bank of solar water heaters, by the pump! (I'm pretty sure, anyway!)
A lot of people think that but I think what you're referring to are just the access covers to the pumps on the Olympic course.
Giles

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Randy Fandango wrote: A lot of people think that but I think what you're referring to are just the access covers to the pumps on the Olympic course.
Giles
Oh right, thanks! My friends and I just assumed they were - we couldn't think what else they'd be.
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”