Drysuit socks

Inland paddling
ion

Re: Drysuit socks

Post by ion » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:35 pm

DaveBland wrote:I probably would have gone for latex, but literally all the suits available locally have fabric, except the NRS one which fits me a bit funny. Good to know I can swop/upgrade if needed. Thanks for the info.
I thought true Canadians wore surf shorts and shorties all year?

Seriously, Kokatat GMER...and you're done for life...should picked one up uber cheap whilst you were in Oregon last time....latex is for S&M freaks only. It's not fabric socks that's the problem, it's the fabric they are made from and the quality of the design. And, since it's inevitable that anyone who seriously uses their suit also abuses their suit, the ability to send it back to the factory for regular servicing at an incredibly reasonable price (At least if you live in N America) is the deal closer. It's simply not realistic to expect heavily used gear to not need repairs.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Yeah, not sure I qualify as a true Canadian yet? How long does it take to become 'localized' Ian? Is it when you start preferring your beer fizzy?

Interesting thought about getting a suit in the US, heading down to LWS again in Nov, so will look into that. Cheers.
The GMER suit is top of my list for sure – except [can't say too much] I may have wangled me a half price deal on another brand which will kinda make the choice for me after all.
dave

Teaman

Post by Teaman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:57 pm

hi.
I bought a second hand palm torrent suit and knew the socks would leak. whilst I was looking on the inter webs wondering what to do about it (£20 each repair from palm plus postage) I came across these
http://www.ravenspring.co.uk/dry-suit-s ... avenspring
and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCUBA-DIVING- ... 1210686191

whilst my palm suit has leaking fabrick socks . My Henry LLoyd dry suit has latex socks and has never leaked there. the neoprene cuffs leak a little but simply because on uneven wrists. I also changed the neoprene neck to latex due to leaking and also I got sick of sand and other bits sticking to it and rubbing me raw.

I have all the repair stuff but I was wondering if sending the suit back to palm for a repair is 1 worth it and doesn't take forever or would my idea of simply replacing the fabric with latex be more suitable.
The other option is this stuff
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Never-Wet-Rus ... 3f2c0606b8 but I'm yet to be convinced about this stuff. I know I'll loose breathability but lets face it. socks can breath until You stick them in a shoe then your feet sweat anyway.

cp

Post by cp » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:04 pm

http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Drysu ... Parts.html

These are the cheapest place I have found for latex seals. I glued the latex socks over the leaking fabric feet and it seems to work.

Chris

Teaman

Post by Teaman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks Chris. saved to faves

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Don't know what everyone does to fabric socks to make them leak so badly. They were the very last thing to go on my 4 year old Typhoon suit - pretty much everything else on the suit had fallen apart and I ended up cutting holes in the socks to drain the water out when the zip blew open. They're just starting to go on my Torrent, bought 2nd hand nearly 3 years ago. Both suits seen lots of use including extended trips where they've been lived in every day for 3-4 weeks at a time. Never been particularly careful with them, walk around in the socks a fair bit and never washed. Weird. Keep your nasty latex.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”