Drysuit socks

Inland paddling
DaveBland

Drysuit socks

Post by DaveBland » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Fabric vs latex.

I've only had experience of Levelsix fabric ones that were a bit leaky tbh. I imagine these are the issues with each type.

Fabric: more durable, more likely to leak, less comfy in shoes/boots.
Latex: sweaty, delicate and prone to rip, comfy in shoes/boots

Any thoughts/words of wisdom?
dave

dpround

Re: Drysuit socks

Post by dpround » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:33 am

My experience of latex is that when it is new it is pretty tough. It gets more fragile as it gets older and at some point will tear. Replacing latex socks is not that difficult. The fitted socks are quite a bit nicer than the flat ones and not a lot more expensive.

David

tenboats1

Post by tenboats1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:42 pm

3d latex is a winner, flat latex is ok, fabric is always a disaster (seams uncomfortable, leak very quickly)

I have gone through a few dry suits and the material fails before the latex. But then I take care of it, using seal saver after every use, and fitting thin 'office' socks over the latex before stuffing my feet into paddle boots.

It is fairly esy to replace latex socks yourself if needed, fabric I guess is harder, but then if fabric fails, repace with latex anyway.

Unfortately you can't always use the 3D socks as the ankle section is quite wide. I had to fit flat latex to my Palm 'dry' trousers after the fabric socks failed after 5 days. The latex socks will out-see the main fabric of the trousers now.

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Newbie question here; why not use ankle seals and avoid the sock issue entirely?

Given nobody does there must be a good reason but I'm not sure what. Anyone care to enlighten me?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Tenboats, thanks, that's exactly the sort of info I was after. Good shout on thin socks over the latex too.
Anyone else got any views? Sounds like Latex may be more durable than I had imagined. And I guess it's patchable if it does get a hole?

Nathan, if you are standing around in water, doing a rescue or running safety, I'd much rather have guaranteed dry toastie feet.
dave

tenboats1

Post by tenboats1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 pm

NathanE wrote:Newbie question here; why not use ankle seals and avoid the sock issue entirely?

Given nobody does there must be a good reason but I'm not sure what. Anyone care to enlighten me?

For ankle seals to work, they have to be very tight. ====== cold feet

Bod

Post by Bod » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 pm

I reckon fabric are getting better, my new Palm Trousers are better cut than my older Stikine Drysuit but Mrs Bod says latex are better because they are actually waterproof and not sweaty and last longer than fabric. Maybe in 10 years fabric will be best but not yet.
John B.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:52 pm

The fabric socks have never leaked on my Palm Torrent, which has had over three years of utter abuse. I frequently stand/walk over stones/gravel/etc in them whilst getting changed, perhaps not advisable, but has caused no damage - pretty sure this would trash latex. Pretty convinced by fabric myself. A friend ahs got through two Level 6 suits this year, it seems the quality of the fabric in their socks is much worse, as his leaked a lot, even though they were much better looked after than mine! I also think failure in latex socks is likely to be much more drastic - damage to a fabric sock is likely to be a small rip/tear/hole, easily patched up with ducktape if in the middle of a holiday with means to repair properly. A latex sock would more likely split dramatically, and be a total write-off with no easy mid-trip/holiday/expedition fix.

MediumD

Post by MediumD » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:28 am

During winter I've got a pair of thin neoprene socks on the outside of the latex socks (I also use them straight onto my feet to fill out my paddling boots when wearing boardies in summer), and a pair of tough sports socks on the inside to keep my feet warm and protect the latex (I go through regular socks at lightning speed so I'd probably ruin latex socks within months).

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:49 am

My first paddling suit was Kokatat's lightweight Tropos fabric, with fabric feet. I once had a pair of water sandals fall apart, leaving me to walk up a gritty beach until I could peel out of the suit. That caused several pinprick leaks in the feet.

I upgraded to a Kokatat Goretex suit, again with fabric feet. With this suit, I have taken care of the suit feet, every time:
Sit down
Ordinary socks on my feet
My feet into drysuit
Ordinary socks over drysuit feet
Feet into water shoes, before standing up again. (Water shoes bought to fit over these layers.)

I've never tried latex feet, although I can see they might adapt better to the shape of the human foot. But given this care, my fabric suit doesn't leak. At all.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

hereorkayaking

Post by hereorkayaking » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 am

Never been a fan of latex socks... always seem too delicate. However saying that i need to replace some fabric socks with inevitably latex socks:/

I find the fabric socks a bit 50/50 some times they're amazing some times they're pretty poor. But as a whole i think i prefer fabric over latex. Mainly from a non ripping/tearing front.

And a Bit off topic....

I have a pair of IR drypants with Neoprene socks built in. The seams are taped so are fully waterproof.
Ive had them for 3 years and they are still totally dry...

Harder wearing than latex, soft in your boots, dryer than fabric.

Im struggling to find a reason why more companys dont do this?

Steve
If in doubt, boof left.

Steve Davies

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:04 pm

In short, because people wouldn't buy a drysuit with neoprene or latex socks. It wouldn't be good for business.

IR would change fabric socks to latex/neoprene I'm sure. I'm sure plenty of others would too. I've heard lomo do these neoprene socks on suit repairs.

hereorkayaking

Post by hereorkayaking » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Makes no sense really... i reckon the neoprene is miles better than fabric or latex socks!
Shame!

Steve
If in doubt, boof left.

Steve Davies

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Well I guess they would be a lot thicker, so many people couldnt wear them over their paddling shoes, and they could get heavy.

Apart from that its pretty much just fashion.

hereorkayaking

Post by hereorkayaking » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Yeah this is what i find strange...
The Neoprene discounts the need for layers and layers like people seem to use for protecting Latex.
And Neoprene doesnt hold water... the plush nylon outer might do but enough to notice!

It must be fashion... but i cant see the difference between fabric or neoprene being an issue?

Cost- Neoprene isnt exactly expensive!

Fishermans waders are often made of Neoprene...

I just find it strange that it hasnt been apodted more widely!

Steve
If in doubt, boof left.

Steve Davies

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Mark Mulrain wrote:In short, because people wouldn't buy a drysuit with neoprene or latex socks. It wouldn't be good for business.
Spark - not even any socks. Not even a drysuit. Still great and better than seperates. :-)

p.s. I know it's not a drysuit.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Great replies Cheers.

OK, I can get more specific now...
Just got me a pair of Keen GorgeBoots for 45 Quid. Sweet.
So who uses what type of drysuit socks, with what success, under canyon type boots?

chaarz...
dave

mark Hirst

Post by mark Hirst » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:19 pm

HI Dave
Quick tip if you have latex socks and canyon boots get them both wet before you put them on your foot will slide into the boot easier.

latex socks are easier to repair if you have a problem with them
Fabric socks Are fine just try to clean them after each use. Try to keep the sand out of the tape on them.

I wear my suit for around 10 hours perday in glacial water. I find wollen socks are ideal to wear underneath. you always get a bit of dampness with fabric and latex.

I think the main reason that no body has put neoprene socks on a drysuit is the fact that thin neoprene 2mm-5mm is not waterproof.

happy paddling
mark
www.riverrafting.is
Icelandic kayak & raft

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 pm

DaveBland wrote:Great replies Cheers.

OK, I can get more specific now...
Just got me a pair of Keen GorgeBoots for 45 Quid. Sweet.
So who uses what type of drysuit socks, with what success, under canyon type boots?

chaarz...
Fabric socks under Palm/Merrell Granite Boots = no problem.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:08 am

mark Hirst wrote: I think the main reason that no body has put neoprene socks on a drysuit is the fact that thin neoprene 2mm-5mm is not waterproof.
Umm -- bad news for most of us with neoprene spraydecks then..... :-)
Giles

mark Hirst

Post by mark Hirst » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Giles
good point

I have had this argument before. Next time you go paddling when you take your deck off after your, run/session feel the underside of your deck. I bet you it is not dry.

Also hold a piece of neoprene to your mouth. Try to blow through it. You will find that the air can pass through. If air can pass through so will the water.

I agree neoprene over 5mm thick will keep you drier. I will stand by my original statement and say that most neoprene between 2mm & 4mm will leak.

happy boating
mark
www.riverrafting.is
Icelandic kayak & raft

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:01 pm

mark Hirst wrote:Giles
good point

I have had this argument before. Next time you go paddling when you take your deck off after your, run/session feel the underside of your deck. I bet you it is not dry.

Also hold a piece of neoprene to your mouth. Try to blow through it. You will find that the air can pass through. If air can pass through so will the water.

I agree neoprene over 5mm thick will keep you drier. I will stand by my original statement and say that most neoprene between 2mm & 4mm will leak.

happy boating
mark
Well.....
I have a couple of 4mm neoprene diving drysuits that might disagree with you if they could talk.... :-)
Giles

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:52 pm

OOh. Please post pictures of you in them...

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:58 am

I'm very comfortable with 300-weight fleece socks inside the Palm Sidewinder salopettes. I wear bootees over these then, and I've not had much problem with them in the past few years. I do take care not to walk across ground without outer protection on them, and I wear neoprene bootees over the socks when I'm in the Orbitfish for greater flexibility.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 am

I'd broadly agree with tenboats on latex socks; though as clarky says the fabric socks have slowly become more durable... (my IR suit's socks came pre-coated with a layer of aquasure on the inside, whilst less flexible it's taken nigh on three years to wear through them, as compated to 6 months on uncoated socks)
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

steve4746

Post by steve4746 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:37 am

I use a Typhoon drysuit with fabric socks and Keen gorge boots, I always wear thin Lycra socks over the drysuit which let your feet slide easily into your boots even when wet which takes any pulling and stress from the fabric socks, it also must add some protection from grit and debris that end up in the boots. I use the Lycra socks because they are low bulk, a snug fit and don't make my feet sweat as I'm generally too warm.

http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/gill-dry ... -4177.html

Steve.
its all character building!!

tenboats1

Post by tenboats1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:34 pm

I have just a had a weekend paddling and have been maintaining my latex seals as per usual. (all the seals, not just boots)

I had a check over the fabrics whilst I was at it, and once again see that it is delaminating about the bum and shoulders, whereas the latex is really as good as new.

(Palm sidewinder jacket and trousers).

I don't know what folk do with their seals: my latex ones always outlast the fabric of the garment.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Great advice. Thanks everyone.
I especially like the consensus about socks over the drysuit feet.
Looks like I'll go for fabric as apart from the NRS suit it seems it's hard to get latex ones here.

Used the Keen gorge boots yesterday [with just bare feet as my dry trousers I'm using while I'm inbetween drysuits have no feet].
Can report back they are effin fantastic – if anyone's looking for top notch footwear.
dave

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi D
DaveBland wrote:Looks like I'll go for fabric as apart from the NRS suit it seems it's hard to get latex ones here.
As you have now decided on a suit. can I suggest when it out of guarantee and the socks have failed, you ask one of us to send you a pair of latex socks for you to put on yourself, Tenboats can give you the run down on the process. For me it is latex all the way, they outlast fabric socks, and don't need the care and attention fabric requires.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:04 pm

I probably would have gone for latex, but literally all the suits available locally have fabric, except the NRS one which fits me a bit funny. Good to know I can swop/upgrade if needed. Thanks for the info.
dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”