Ian Beecroft - a tribute page

Inland paddling
chris s sladden

Re: Ian Beecroft - terrible news.

Post by chris s sladden » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:25 pm

This is sad news indeed. Like others I didn't meet Ian but benefited from his postings and a number of private emails. Amongst other things he had a wonderful sense of humour- I'm still chuckling at one of his emails. My thoughts go to his family and friends at this difficult time.

Kindest regards,

Chris

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:13 pm

I had numerous communications with Ian when he was planning a trip to the Thuli Bheri, and then enjoyed meeting him in person and getting to know him for a week in Italy last year. He enthused about his guidebook work, and showed us some previews of the great book published not long after.

It was on his recommendation that we paddled this great river, so I feel compelled to post pics...

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Pete Beecroft emailed me on behalf of Raphael and family to update you on the latest understanding of arrangements for Ian's funeral. We believe that we will be able to get Ian's body onto the plane from Delhi to Zurich tomorrow evening meaning that he will arrive here in Valais on Friday. The intention is to have a service at 10am on Monday the 10th of September at St Joseph Eglise in Martigny-Croix.
Obviously these arrangements are subject to change should there be any delays in the transport or paperwork or any issues at this end. We shall stay in touch and keep you updated of the latest information as it becomes available.

Pete the kayaker

Post by Pete the kayaker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:13 pm

So sad to read this.

Condolences to his family and friends.
*Fringe Extremist*

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:35 am

Very sad and upsetting news for all who know him. I always enjoyed his informative and interesting posts on here.

Thanks Ian.

T

Slime

Post by Slime » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:26 pm

For those interested in his paddling history Ian posted a blog with some great pictures on his consulting site -http://ibconsulting.posterous.com/
He went out to the Himalayas in 2003 and then, like a lot of us, he was hooked on those mighty rivers!

If anyone is going to the funeral and you haven't been in touch could I suggest you p.m. or email me. Thanks.

Pete Knowles
Rivers Publishing.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Ian this spring told me how he had enjoyed his first run down the steepest Class IV around, the Egua in Valsesia. Piemonte is close to Ian's home, and the prefect spring playground for any adventure paddler, and Ian's wonderful contribution to the latest South Alps Guide, brought his love for paddling to a wider audience and revealed his love for the paddling not far from his door. I will miss Ian, it was always great to run a river with him, he was a student of paddling, learning all the time, such energy and drive is of course a wonderment for all to see and enjoy, best shared and Ian loved to share.

mountain_bikerider

Post by mountain_bikerider » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Such sad news and sincere condolences to his family. I met Ian in the Alps last summer whilst he was finishing off the latest guide book. He jumped in and assisted with a swimmer rescue and then gave me some great river ideas on the shuttle back up the Guisane. He will be hugely missed by the paddling community.

StephenW

Post by StephenW » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:32 am

So shocked and sad that I am at a loss for words.
I first paddled with Ian 30 years ago at Southampton University.
Recently we were reunited at Stuart Woodward's 20 year Alps party.
I have just returned from a Zanskar trip and met some of Ian's team awaiting his arrival in Leh.
Sincere condolences to his family and many friends.
One of the Best.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:06 am

Members of the expedition team provided the following facts and time-scales to the family on Thursday the 6th of September 2012.

On the 2nd of September, day 4 of the Tsarap-­‐Chu Zanskar trip (Ladakh, NW India) the expedition team set out from the confluence after Reru rapid and arrived at a class V rapid 15km upstream of the village of Padum. At the top of the second half
of the rapid Ian became stuck in a difficult part of the rapid. He then came out of his kayak and was floating face-­‐up down the
rapid, showing no movement. Ian was retrieved from the water at the bottom of the rapid about 2-­‐3 minutes later by Graham Helsby and Beth Hume. Resuscitation began immediately at 10am and included efforts from Graham, Beth and Matthias Thomann. A passing truck was stopped at 12noon and a local man with medical knowledge assisted Beth and Matthias with resuscitation whilst Graham travelled to Padum to seek assistance. At 14:00 the local doctor and rescue team arrived from Padum,
unfortunately Ian had shown no signs of recovery during the whole of this period and the doctor declared him dead at the scene at around 14:30. The police were requested to attend the scene and official photographs and statements were taken. Ian’s body and all of the equipment was removed from the scene and transported to Padum hospital. Once the family had been informed Ian’s
son, Neil Beecroft, liaised with Fay Singh and Vikhram Joshi from the expedition agency Aquaterra to provide logistical support from Padum to Delhi, the details of this journey are shown below:

• Travel from Padum hospital to Kargil military hospital through the Himalaya between 5pm on the 2nd of September to 4am on the 3rd of September. Embalmment was carried out in the early morning at the military hospital.
• Travel from Kargil military hospital to Leh military hospital between 12noon and 20:00 on the 4th of September.
• Departure from Leh at 06:30 on the 5th of September to arrive in New Delhi during the morning of the same day, where a second embalmment took place.
• Ian’s body departed from New Delhi to Zurich on the 7th of September and arrived in his home town of Martigny on the same day just 5 days after the accident. This has truly been a miracle of organization and the family would like to extend their sincerest thanks to Aquaterra, all of their contacts and to the expedition team for enabling such a rapid repatriation.

Ian’s funeral ceremony is to take place on Monday the 10th of September at 10:00am at St Joseph Eglise in Martigny-­‐Croix, Valais, Switzerland. Anybody wishing to come and pay their respects to Ian is invited to attend.

Niall McTurk

Post by Niall McTurk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 am

We have just heard the very sad news of Ian's untimely death and wish to express our deepest sympathy to his wife, 'children', family and friends. Unfortunately we heard too late to attend Ian's funeral today but our thoughts are with you all at this difficult time. We will cherish many fine memories of a lovely man.

Val & Niall McTurk (ex. York & 'Naughty Boys' Canoe Clubs)

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:50 am

Yesterday evening I paddled a fantastic section of the Rhone based on an enthusiastic reccomendation and information from Ian. When Ian heard on the grapevine that I was moving to Switzerland, he got in touch and gave me a wealth of river info and I was very much looking forward to being shown around his local runs. Thanks for sharing Ian.

Little Brother

Post by Little Brother » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:12 pm

I have only just found out about this very, very sad news today. My thoughts and prayers are with Ian's family.
Andrew Higson

Wildwood Wil

Post by Wildwood Wil » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:30 pm

So sad to hear this news. A real ambassador for the sport! RIP.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:40 pm

IAN BEECROFT.

I tried to think when I first met Ian, but I couldn't remember a single event or time. It must have been back in the late '70s, during the heyday of canoe slalom in the UK. It couldn’t have been at the “building of the Alamo” at Grandtully - I was the wrong side of the barricades; nor was I in the pyramid building at Linton when Radar fell from the top … but Ian was there and was probably one of the instigators of these and similar escapades. It was, however, at or around these slaloms and the social life they generated that I met up with Ian and many others. When the smoke of many bars cleared and the numerous hangovers subsided I realised I had made many friends, but more importantly a good friend in Ian.

If I had to sum up Ian in a word it would be “friendship”. He had a universal generosity to his fellow paddlers. Look at Ian's contributions to the UK Rivers Guide Book forums, look at the time he would take to send people river notes and trip advice, many times to people he had only met in passing, or in an eddy, if at all. Ian was like that. But for those of us who were friends, his hospitality was unbounded.

Ian was one of the original Naughty Boys, and along with Dave Higson upset many a figure of authority in his youth -- tales of which are legend and others will no doubt tell and embellish. Suffice it to say many Manchester parents were glad when the pair grew up and moved on.

Ian gave up drinking several years ago – maybe the steady stream of friends and his boast that no one left his house without a hangover took its toll – but he would still come to the annual gathering in Llangollen, the gathering of the “Bike Shed Crew”, the gathering of friends. This was always a somewhat drunken affair but Ian would be there, not drinking, but being part of that amazing camaraderie that he was partially responsible for. He would be hatching plots, planning expeditions, telling jokes, recounting epics and swearing some of us to absolute secrecy for his major expedition, the Big One, that was always in the background, always waiting for the right conditions, the right team to be gathered, dates to be arranged, etc. Oh, sorry, we were sworn to secrecy so you don't know what it was, Ian's Ultimate Expedition: a source to sea descent of the mighty Goyt with all its logistical problems and dangers – where would we park at the put-in, would there be enough water to float on the upper stretches, would the fishermen attack and would the underground section under the shopping centre “go” or would it be full of shopping cart trolleys. And none of this is really researchable by Google Earth.

Anyway, travelling to Ian's funeral on the train to Martigny from Geneva I browsed one of the free French newspapers – at least the weather forecast, as that is mostly pictures, and the day of the funeral was a sunny day just as the paper predicted and just as Ian was in life. The following day they predicted thunderstorms and lightening, and I thought how apt – Ian and Dave have been re-united and has upset another figure of authority!

Dave Manby

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Beautiful Mumbo

W5RAY

Post by W5RAY » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:36 pm

I would like to add my condolences to Ian's family and friends.
I never got to meet Ian, but like many, our paths met, albeit briefly, on UKRGB forum and more recently Ian was very involved in the planning with our recent, first time trip to Austria and Switzerland - a trip made easier with his knowledge and input and allowing us to paddle as friends with out the need for a guide on the river- the link being Ian's nephew, one of my good paddle buddies!
Thinking of you dude and looking forward to our paddling time in Scotland!

Ray

Putty

Post by Putty » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Nicely put Dave

Jim Buttle

Post by Jim Buttle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:20 pm

Although I am not a member of Ian's canoeing family, I met a few when Ian and I were doing our PhDs in Geography in Southampton in the early 1980s. The best New Year's Eve I ever had was in 1981 with Beeks and members of the Manchester Club in the Packhorse in Keswick in the Lake District. My heart obviously goes out to Ian's wife Raph and their kids. But having read the posts here, I also wanted to express my condolences to all the the many friends that Ian made through canoeing, and to thank you for your generous memories of him.

Richard King

Post by Richard King » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Very sad news which I have been thinking about since I first heard a week or three back.

The King family met Ian through Manchester Canoe Club, I guess Ian was about 16 then, my brother and I were a few years younger - at that age those are big years and I looked up to Ian tremendously - that never wore off.

At that time Ian was an influential part of the MCC naughty boys but was also keen to do well in competition when we first met him.

He spent a lot of time training that season and got some good results.

One project was to make the lightest home made boat possible - we had a mould for a Bevan boat and the boat was duly put together, we even had some carbon fibre in there. Despite its extreme flimsyness I think it managed a few competitive runs for Ian and was then retired and subsequently moved on before being resighted on its final outing at Linton locks where it literally sank (almost) without trace...

Back on topic I was lucky enough to be in the Alamo and play a small part in one of the epic stories from those times - but only as a bit part to the main actors.

I only realise now what a golden age that was and how lucky we were to be involved in the UK slalom scene - and the Naughty Boys - at that time.

Once Ian moved to Switzerland I only saw him at occasional has-beens get togethers in the UK, as Dave says above he was still the same great guy and his enthusiasm for big water paddling was always there - I only realised on looking at the excellent Alpine guide he co-wrote with Pete Knowles as well as his posts here how involved and knowledgeable he was in that scene.

His generosity with help and advice to fellow travellers has already been mentioned here, also typical of Ian was that he made a point of calling in on my Mum in the UK when Dad died a year or so back.

Massive sympathies to all of Ian's family - he will be greatly missed.

Rick

Slime

Re: Ian Beecroft - a tribute page

Post by Slime » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:48 pm

I remember Ian especially as a friend who would be the first to support you at difficult times.

And then always the first to lead the games and the singing – on his first trip to the Zanskar he organised the ‘Roof of the World Cricket Match’ and proudly led the Rest of the World team out to bat against the Indian Celebrities Eleven. And of course the singing - Higgie and Ian leading a whole Nepali plane in a rendering of “Rhino Rock we are here” with a totally bemused Air hostess laughing like a drain at these crazy kayakers. I guess most of us will remember him when the French National Anthem is played and we start the alternative version “Ooh eh la papier?”.

Ian came on a Sun Kosi trip in 2005 and after that, like many of us, he was hooked on the Himalayas and kept going back, year after year to run more beautiful rivers. The Tsarap was a river that he had longed dreamed of doing. We had a super week in the French Alps this summer and talked much about the Tsarap and the Himalaya. But Ian was enthusiastic about most things big expeditions as well as smaller trips – I remember his joy when we ‘discovered’ and paddled the Souloise together two years ago – a new river for him and in his own playground.

The Alps were of course his home playground and he was a natural choice when I was looking for someone to re-write White Water South Alps. Our aim for this new book was to set a standard for a new generation of guide books. Like everything he did, Ian threw himself into the job with enthusiasm and insisted on re-running almost every river and he spent hours and hours, re-writing the text, editing the maps and photographs and stubbornly insisting that everything should be the highest quality. The book was very much his work and I hope that it will stand the test of time and be a small memorial to him.

Those who knew him need no such memorial – we have our own memories of a good mate who you could totally rely on and whose passing leaves a real hole.

Pete Knowles. Rivers Publishing.

Slime

Post by Slime » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:56 pm

I thought that those who don’t have a copy might like to read what Ian wrote about himself, about a year ago, in White Water South Alps –

The Author, Ian Beecroft
Decided he was a paddler in 1967 when his mum forbade him from getting into a friend’s canvas kayak on Rudyard lake. A few years later he spotted a load of pretty painted poles dangling over his local river (Goyt); that was where slalom and Manchester Canoe Club (MCC) entered the scene. Corrupted into raucous behaviour by notorious MCC peers Rushfirth, Higson, Purdy, Helsby et al., he fully embraced the social aspects of kayaking and was soon to become known as the ‘oldest young man in Manchester’.

He somehow managed to paddle slalom for GB at youth and university level, but was always more interested in exploring Alpine rivers and the adjacent bars. He first met ‘Greenslime’ (along with Mike Jones) whilst working with PGL at Brockweir in 1977.

An economic refugee from Mrs Thatcher, he went to seek his fortune on the Swiss glaciers which failed to turn to gold, so ended up working in scientific publishing and settled down to form a family in the 'real’ Alps. Climbing up and then paddling down the Alps for over 30 years, he’s built up a solid knowledge and experience of the rivers and mountains.

Once his kids outgrew him, he started doing what he’d always wanted to do and scurried off to the Himalaya, and he’s been going back there ever since. A long multi-day on a big Himalayan river (2nd+ descents a speciality) is about as good as it gets for adventure, fun and friendship. Its fantastic that quite a few of the old team still tag-along on these trips – 40 years later. Long may the party last.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Here is a link to the trip report from Matthias Thomann et Elizabeth Imhof Thomann. There are also some great photos of the river and the landscape

http://www.aquatikayak.ch/

greeboesme

Post by greeboesme » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:11 pm

It was terrible news to hear of Ian's death.
I have very fond memories of Ian from our trip to the Zanskar in 2005, I remember him chasing his buddy down rapids for another rescue and always with patience, good humour and kindness. I so laughed at the naughty jokes and songs around the evening fire and the most irreverent commentary about the scenery, including tarmacing the river, as we paddled down the Zanskar. He was great fun to be around, minibuses and campfires will be quieter places and I'm truly saddened to hear of his death.
my sincerest condolences to his family.
HT

jw

Post by jw » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 pm

With Ian, there were plenty of times of just good fun, with a genuinely warm and good person.

From early Manchester Canoe Club days, I'm sure Ian would like to be remembered as a rogue. An incorrigible rogue, one of the boys, at the centre of the singing, beer in hand, and chunder-bucket nearby, cheerfully ready for any unfortunate who couldn’t keep up. He was all that, and they were good days.

But it’s for other qualities I’ll remember Ian. He had such enthusiasm for life, was such a positive person, he started things and got things done in a very capable way – with good humour and with generosity of spirit.

Ian was a great slalom paddler - puffing and blowing, steaming around the slalom gates at Marple in early days, getting every ounce of performance from his Bevan boat or his Epee. But looking back, joining Manchester Canoe Club in those days was an apprenticeship in many more things – training and competing with friends, setting courses up Friday nights, helping organize club events, and planning weekends away. Turning people’s flysheets round after coming back from the pub, so they couldn’t get out of their tent in the morning. Ian was involved in everything - he helped lots of things work, and always did it just for the fun of being involved.

Working for PGL one summer, I found Ian had got a job at another centre nearby. Ian challenged us to a canoe polo match in open canoes on the River Wye. He told his team to target my boat, because I don’t think my partner and I spent longer than a minute or two afloat in it, but we swam to the banks of the Wye many times that night. Our team lost, but it all finished well later, at the cider pub between the two centres. A few nights later, there was a mass night-surf on the Severn bore – a first for many of the young Instructors. A bit of surfing, a bit of carnage on the wave, Ian the ring-leader again.

When Ian went to Sheffield Uni, I and a few others from Manchester went to Nottingham, and there was a link and rivalry between the two University Canoe Clubs. One year, we organized the British Universities Slalom Champs together at Sedbergh. After spending all Friday setting the 30 slalom gates up on wires across the river, it rained hard and the river rose 6 feet after dark, threatening to sweep it all away. We must have made a world record for taking gates down that night, Ian driving the Land Rover down the bank whilst we dragged it all in under the headlights. Ian was first up Saturday morning to get the course out again for everyone who had come. I got the idea he enjoyed the challenge in adversity – much more fun than if everything was too easy!

I didn’t see Ian for years. I suppose we had to get on with some work, and we had families.

When our friend Dave Higson left us, it was Ian who asked everyone to share their stories of times with Dave. Look again, and you’ll see Ian was there at the centre of things for many of those adventures. Ian was the first to encourage us to celebrate the memories, never forgetting good friends, but ready to look forward too.

In recent years, I’d just seen Ian a few times, and an email now and again. It’s a mark of a good friendship when you catch up straight away on the few occasions you meet. I’ve not met Ian’s family but I’d like them to know that I’m sure there are hundreds of people like me in the canoeing world, who counted Ian as a friend and will always have good memories of him.

Having known Ian reminds me to get out on a next adventure too.

John Watson

xdmedical

Post by xdmedical » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:44 pm

I've only just joined this forum and low and behold sad news of a name from the past (I'm certain this is ginger haired Ian).

I had the great pleasure of being one of Ian's younger neighbours in Romiley, too young to be a proper friend of his then but amongst other memories of Ian, I still to this day recall the fun & excitement I and my friends would have when Ian (and I think another neighbour Chris Lockett) would appear around the crescent slinging full buckets of water from their moving goldish brown Hillam Hunter to liven up our summertime waterfights :-) At our young age we'd never seen anyone hanging out of a car doing stunts like this even on TV so you can imagine the 'God Like' status we held of Ian even at that age.

Seeing countless kayaks on his parents drive (and I'm sure on his Leyland Maxi roofrack) undoubtedly influenced me into wanting to dabble in kayaks. I went on to own one of Ian's very first kayaks (red fibreglass) which I think he actually self made (left behind when he'd have gone off to Uni I guess).

So a very big thanks to Ian for the fun water fights and the influence to get into kayaking (let alone the influence for mischevious water bombing of innocent bystanders from moving cars) :-)

Thanks Ian & RIP

Jerry Tracey

Post by Jerry Tracey » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:18 am

I have just caught up with this sad news, thanks to Dave M.
I remember Ian from the 1970s as a great paddler who was always willing to share his ideas and expertise with others.
He was also a larger than life character who could be relied upon to lead riotous drinking games at (any) events in Llangollen!
I later had brief contact with him in the 1990s, after I found one of his old sales flyers on shores of Lake Geneva.
I would like to wish belated, but heartfelt, condolences to Ian's friends and family.

Jerry.

Jbeecroft

Post by Jbeecroft » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:57 am

Dear all,

26.03.1959 - 26.03.2019...

My Dad, Daddy as we used to call him, would have been 60yo today.

Having in mind and ears "London Calling" from the mighty Clash, "ain't no grave" from Johnny Cash and the Buzzycoacks to fly high in the sky with him...

The tribute paid to my Dad touch our hearts, he was one hell of an inspiration. Used to say "that's my son!", showing how proud he was of us.

I remember bringing him at the Airport just before he left to India. As Always he was running all over the place with his orange Pyranha Kayak in the Hand, dropped it and then felt free to go where he found his interior peace; the Himalayas! I will Always remember his "take care" when saying Goodbye and when he turned back with a few swiss coins in his hands and gave them to me with a smile.

Long live to an awesome Dad and paddler!

All love

Jonathan and family

P.s: our little Nora, born on the 08.08.2018 would be so proud to have auch a grandfather...

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Jonathon your post popped up on my screen whilst I'm battling spreadsheets and recalcitrant printers and brought a smile and a tear to my face: a smile because an image of Ian with that look in his eye "this is worth the effort" when a scheme came to fruition and a tear because every so often I see something or hear something that I would like to have been able to share with him.

I'm sure Nora will hear loads about him.

All the best to all the family - I must get out to see you lot some time.

jw

Post by jw » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:30 pm

Hi Jonathon, thanks for posting.
I'll be 60 next year, so your Dad was one of the Manchester Canoe Club friends who I shared early pub and paddling years with - and any meeting in later years was always with a smile and some fun.
Just wanted to let you know that there are lots of friends of Ian you've perhaps never met, who thought a lot of that marvellous rascal, your Dad. He comes to mind every now and again, and always will.
Congratulations on the arrival of Nora - give her some good adventures!
Johnny Guitar

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”