Kayaking watches?

Inland paddling
p.r.unicycles

Kayaking watches?

Post by p.r.unicycles »

It's my birthday coming up next month and i'm thinking of buying myself a watch. it'll be used for playboating, surfing, sea kayaking and canadian canoeing. As well as possibly being forgot about when i'm at work (a rather messy environment). I don't want something super cheap and disposable, something decent quality that won't require me to use a larger boat to counteract the weight of the thing. i'm not keen on any kind of "link" strap as i have really bony wrists. Can any of you fine folk recommend anything?
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

mountain_bikerider

Re: Kayaking watches?

Post by mountain_bikerider »

I've had a Casio G-Shock for a few months now and except for the sea kayaking have used it for all the paddling listed with climbing and work thrown in too. It has taken some knocks and the rubberised case is a but scuffed but due to the raised case the screen is still scratch free. Does everything I need from my outdoor watch. There are loads of styles to choose from so you can find one to suit all tastes

Chris

benbrisbourne

Post by benbrisbourne »

I was given a Casio HD watch at Christmas. I've worn it everyday since then, on and off the water (playboating almost everyday this summer). It seems to be great value for money, I've been really happy with it, and is advertised as having a 10 year battery life. See here:

http://www.watches2u.com/watches/casio/ ... watch.html

mark62

Post by mark62 »

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy »

Casio G-shock here, it's the only watch that survived my last job where all others failed, there's one for every taste, wrist size and wallet, I'd go for a plain digital job (one of the big ones) rather than the analogue/digital one I bought (twoz a bargain) which runs on two batteries!!!
Mine has a design flaw http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0039N480I/? ... B0039N480I that you can't read he time in the dark (doh!), the bloke selling it stated this as the reason for selling it unworn, I could live with it.
It's the only model with this problem (something to do with the mat carbon effect and the red hour hand).
This would be the one I'd buy, http://www.watchshop.com/mens-casio-g-s ... fAodqCoAzQ as it's solar powered and updates to he atomic clock every morning.

Otherwise a Marathon JSAR on a bracelet if you have strong wrists.....
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Shufflerschair

Post by Shufflerschair »

Rolex Submariners are good sturdy watches, and the sapphire crystal glass doesn't scratch easily on rocks etc.
And they have an extension link on the bracelet that enables it to be worn over the cuffs of a cag.

Darksideup

Post by Darksideup »

Timex Ironman watch, Had it for two years now, used for paddling and for work. The soft velcro fastening strap keeps it comfortable and you can wear it over dry top. My son bought the newer model a few months ago and played American Football with it on with no ill effects.
If the darkside is up there is no need for gills

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders »

I've been very happy with my Traser H3. I have a P6500, which I think you might still be able to buy online, but which may have now been superceded by the P6600. Get it with the nylon strap rather than the rubber one.

sprintpaddler

Post by sprintpaddler »

Hi,
Don`t wear a watch on the wrist for kayaking for fear of damaging the latex seal. I bought the cheapest Casio anologue watch I could find, & taped it to my B/A, so all I have to do is look down at it.....job done!
Some nice idea`s about pieces above though. The Rolex subs are great but way too much money. Loads of other Swiss manufacturers ( Invicta, Sinn, Omega, TagHauer,etc ) do subs of great quality, & are reasonably priced. I wear a Seiko Samurai titanium auto, which I swear by, as it`s a terrific looking large chunky piece, but weighs nothing because of the titanium, it`s even got a divers extension built into the clasp....look out for one!

cheers,
Ted.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

When I was in need of a watch for boating I Googled "cheap waterproof watches" and ended up buying one from Amazon. It's made by a company called Terrain. Cost £9.99. I attached it to my BA where it sat happily, continuing to work, for the next two years. It's been through all sorts of abuse in the sea, rivers and CIWW. The battery ran out two weeks ago.
My everyday watch is tested to 200 metres and costs 100 times more and I've never put it near water! The Terrain watch feels cheap but is functional and stands up to boating abuse. For the money it's astonishingly good.

Nige

homerstu

Post by homerstu »

i use an analogue animal watch, velcro straps mean wrist size isnt a problem, and has lasted for years, ive actually got 2 cos i lost one then found it again, just need to replace the batteries but thats no real hardship

http://shop.animal.co.uk/heritage/zephe ... wsv06a707/

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

Link to the watch I mentioned earlier:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terrain-Boardri ... 261&sr=8-5

Couldn't figure out how to put it in on last post as was using my phone to reply.

Note the similarity to the 'Animal' watch in the link above. It doesn't have the word 'Animal' written on it and is therefore a sixth of the price....

tc1300

Post by tc1300 »

G shock all the way

flea

Post by flea »

Having had a velcro Animal watch ripped from my wrist whilst playboating, I wouldn't trust another velcro strap. Velcro straps also tend to get that slight damp kayaking whiff to them too (though maybe that was just mine!)

My Timex Ironman stopped working after taking it for a few sessions playboating.

The Casio G shock (I have the ladies equivalent) is great - plastic strap is more secure, less of a whiff (!) and more water resistant than the Ironman.

soysauce

Post by soysauce »

Vostok amphibian?

Indestructible Russian watch,
http://www.russianwatchguide.com/review ... phibia.htm

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Sector Sports watches yet. As worn by the
Sector no limits team.

Chriscofferson

Post by Chriscofferson »

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 417316.htm

to the grand total of £20, have never let me down. still going on the original battery after 1.5 years. its either on my wrist, or round my BA strap. never been an issue.

Argos' description is a little off though.

TomOL

Post by TomOL »

I've had my current Casio G-shock watch for just over 5 years, and it's still going strong. It's been on every river with me during that time, from the Dart, Erme, Plym and Lyn down in Devon, across to the French and Austrian Alps, the Pyrenees, Norway and even Peru, and I've never had a single issue with it. I highly recommend them.

Bod

Post by Bod »

I was surprised to read that there are watches other than G-shock. I now put mine in my bouyo as the strap broke at Entebbe Airport after wearing it for 2 weeks solid on the Nile. I guess that makes it a lucky watch too!
John B.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy »

soysauce wrote:Vostok amphibian?

Indestructible Russian watch,
http://www.russianwatchguide.com/review ... phibia.htm
My Vostok amphibian lasted the grand total of 6 weeks before it packed up totally, keep meaning to get it looked at but for the £35 I paid for it I doubt its worth the hassle, then again it lost 3-5 mins a day from the day it arrived so I may try and fix it myself, nothing ventured etc etc.

My Suunto Xlander lasted for a few years climbing and paddling, broke it in bed (no braggin rights as I was asleep, must have been the wrought iron head board doh). If its good enough for the stig...

I do miss having a watch I can put on an animal strap though, sort of miss the smell.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles »

I'll be deciding which G- shock to go for in the current weeks. Has anyone had any bad experiences buying the cheaper models? i'm looking at buying one around the £70 mark
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

tc1300

Post by tc1300 »

mine was around that and is amazing 3 rs on and no scrachest strap still strong and no battery issues

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

p.r.unicycles wrote:I'll be deciding which G- shock to go for in the current weeks. Has anyone had any bad experiences buying the cheaper models?
I did -- mine barely lasted a month.
Mind you I bought it in Nepal for the equivalent of £2.50 and it actually claimed to be a C-Shock so perhaps it was a replica.....
Giles

stewarty905

Post by stewarty905 »

I have had Casio G Shock watches for about the last 20 - 25 years,well only 2 actually because they have lasted so well,i could not recommend them enough they are superb. There is only 1 model i have used and that is the Casio AW590-1A G-Shock Watch,Done loads of outdoor stuff with it on and no problems atall. Great value for money.

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris »

One thing to note, if you choose not to wear a wristwatch on your wrist in order not to snag and catch on things, make sure that the attachment point is far enough from your face that you will not get hit with the watch if getting worked in a big hole. Mate of mine lost a tooth to a beefy watch attached to the shoulder straps on his BA, took a big working in surf and came out with a broken tooth. Correctly shaped dent in the watch case corroborated the cause..

I wear a Casio ProTrek for my off-the-water fun and games, but on the water I wear a cheapo waterproof that I can afford to get damaged. I have it strapped to one of the attachment points lower down on my BA. It's deliberately not strong enough to catch and hold on a branch. It'll break off instead of getting me into trouble.

irish_dougal

Post by irish_dougal »

I'd vote for a Suunto myself, ive had mine for about 8 years and it's never let me down, I use a Metron however I'd suggest looking at the range as there are a lot a available especially if you do other sports skiing, mtn biking etc they have the ability to connect to your computer and show your reports altitude climbed, descended, average speed, heart rate info etc. (plus an awful lot more on top). They call them wrist top computers rather than watches they will take a lot of time to get used to all the functions and capabilities but in my opinion totally worth it.

tc1300

Post by tc1300 »

dwrgi

Post by dwrgi »

Oi Oi,

I have this one and it's bomproof. The tide graph is good enough to know within an hour or so. Not too expensive so no stress either. I can highly recomend it!!

I bought the resin strap verion and put a velcro strap on it resin verion cheaper but can't find it. I would not waste money on others as when the battery goes...

ps Bahiya is awsome.

dwrgi

Post by dwrgi »

dwrgi

Post by dwrgi »

Ah stupid I found the resin one.

Great price!! Great watch!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-AQW-100-1 ... _watches_0

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”