Lendal Blade removal issue

Inland paddling
Thompo

Lendal Blade removal issue

Post by Thompo »

Hello

Just got myself a very good deal on a Lendal Kenitic Power paddle, Only issue is its a LH and im not.

After searching and finding some info i put the paddle over a pan of boiling water and steamed until i was able to wriggle the blade free.

Only problem is i think ive removed the blade from the spigot and not the blade/spigot from the shaft!
N12 blades on Carbon shaft (its has metal rings around the end of the shaft, the ring stayed put)

This is a problem because the end i have poking out of the shaft (spigot i assume) is tapered to fit the internal profile of the blade meaning it can only be fitted the same way and it remains a LH paddle.

Any options for removing the spigot so i can re set the paddle to a RH? The other blade shows no signs of moving. I can take some more of the spigot but would prefer this to be a last ditch effort as it would effect the strength.

Cheers Neil

-Ginge-

Re: Lendal Blade removal issue

Post by -Ginge- »

Ring up lendal and ask them. They usually tend to be quite helpful.

Thompo

Post by Thompo »

Seems cutting it out is the only option to remove it, Very very well set. I could have re-attached the blade with stronger glue and tried again but then i could be left with the whole lot stuck!

Ended up grinding in a new chamfer to allow the blade to fit and give me the correct feather, This took about 50% of the material away that have would be supporting the blade. Put a couple of wraps of carbon inside the end of he spigot and filled the last 2" with a mix of short glass/carbon fibers to reinforce it all. Hopefully it holds!

If your trying to remove a lendal blade to change feather, make sure you direct the heat on the shaft side of the join, should allow you to remove the blade along with spigot instead of just taking the blade off.

SeaDoug

Post by SeaDoug »

Do Lendal no longer offer the possibility of adding a PadLok - making the paddle a split and using a "varilok" join would have given you a very usable paddle!?
SeaDoug

Thompo

Post by Thompo »

Splitting was an option via Padlock, but they wont sell the switch or vari lock seperately due to the shaft needing to be accurately machined.

Didnt go the split route as id prefer to keep a WW paddle one piece. Did order a padlock fitting to convert a sea paddle to a split though.

dpround

Post by dpround »

I had exactly the same results and ended up removing the spigots mechanically with a burr. I later found out that I could have just got blades without spigots. (I needed to replace a blade rather than change the feather.)

David

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott »

This is going to sound a bit like butchering your paddle, but you could always,epoxy the blade back on, then cut the shaft in half, sigpot in the middle and epoxy itback to gether this is basicaly how the werner carbon cranks are joined.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”