It isn't as hard as the old edition- a classic tale

Inland paddling
chris s sladden

It isn't as hard as the old edition- a classic tale

Post by chris s sladden »

Back in Canada, I'm still laughing as Richard Harvey's tale. Richard, who is the CEO of Canoe Wales, has always been pro paddling in Wales. I gave him a copy of the new book when we met up in Cardiff. His first comment, with a mischievous grin was, "it isn't as hard as the last book". Apparently he was in some meeting with all groups present..paddlers, anglers, environmentalists etc. Apparently, soon after the meeting began one of the anglers "lost it", and shouted, "you can take this bloody book from this bloody doctor", and hurled it across the room hitting Richard. Hence he was being quite serious- it isn't as hard as the last one! Oh I do miss Britain!

Happy paddling

Chris

Mark R

Re: It isn't as hard as the old edition- a classic tale

Post by Mark R »

When a friend and his girlfriend had an argument once, he spent a night locked in the garage sitting on his paddling kit, because he knew she would try to slash it up (this was a volatile relationship...). Being foiled at destroying his kit, instead she went to his copy of your book and ripped out all of the guides to rivers he'd paddled, and spent a long time shredding them individually.

Happy times.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton »

Mark R wrote: she went to his copy of your book and ripped out all of the guides to rivers he'd paddled, and spent a long time shredding them individually.
Christ I hope he made it out of the relationship safely. I bought a copy of the new one on saturday its great. Theres even a picture of me me me in it.

morsey

Post by morsey »

chris s sladden wrote:"you can take this bloody book from this bloody doctor", and hurled it across the room
Welsh rivers was probably not up to his standard of erotic literature!

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Mark R wrote:When a friend and his girlfriend had an argument once, he spent a night locked in the garage sitting on his paddling kit, because he knew she would try to slash it up (this was a volatile relationship...). Being foiled at destroying his kit, instead she went to his copy of your book and ripped out all of the guides to rivers he'd paddled, and spent a long time shredding them individually.

Happy times.
Someone else I know had the crotch cut out of all his trousers & dumped outside the front door when he came home...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

morsey wrote: Welsh rivers was probably not up to his standard of erotic literature!
I would just like to point out, I am not the author or in anyway affiliated with this book, not my fault in anyway......................

James Hartley
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. »

Mark, I bet there's a similar story behind this eBay listing...

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Ha ha!

On the subject of guidebook-related tales, I'm sure I've told this story before, but...I loaned my author-signed copy of White Water Nepal to Kiwi Jo Lucas (married now, I forget her new surname) some years back, when she was heading out there for the first time.

Some years later, I saw one on eBay, and thought it would be good to plug the gap in my bookshelf. I won the auction, bought the book...when it arrived, I found that it had a signature from the author inside the front cover, and a message addressed to myself. I'd bought my own book.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

Pete C. wrote:Mark, I bet there's a similar story behind this eBay listing...
That's one hell of a psychotic ex-girlfriend.

Also saw someone's ex-wife going mad on Facebook the other day......
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

roo

Post by roo »

jmmoxon wrote: Someone else I know had the crotch cut out of all his trousers & dumped outside the front door when he came home...

Mike
Did anyone else misread this, or was it just me........if I read it right, it sounds like sweet* revenge to me :-)

*Fairly minging really, but you know what I'm trying to say?

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

TechnoEngineer wrote:Also saw someone's ex-wife going mad on Facebook the other day......
Perhaps he was late back from a sea kayaking trip? ;p

chris s sladden

Post by chris s sladden »

Mark R wrote:Ha ha!

On the subject of guidebook-related tales, I'm sure I've told this story before, but...I loaned my author-signed copy of White Water Nepal to Kiwi Jo Lucas (married now, I forget her new surname) some years back, when she was heading out there for the first time.

Some years later, I saw one on eBay, and thought it would be good to plug the gap in my bookshelf. I won the auction, bought the book...when it arrived, I found that it had a signature from the author inside the front cover, and a message addressed to myself. I'd bought my own book.

This is brilliant!

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

Mike Mayberry wrote:
TechnoEngineer wrote:Also saw someone's ex-wife going mad on Facebook the other day......
Perhaps he was late back from a sea kayaking trip? ;p
No, not me!
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”