Spraydecks

Inland paddling
carlalvey

Spraydecks

Post by carlalvey »

After reading the thread about the best deck for a shiva i was wondering if people had what they thought was the driest deck for a particular boat.
I think this as i have a d75 and my nookie shockdeck isnt the driest but it seemed fine on my flux??
Im sure alot of people just stick with what they have got but it would be handy to know whats good from peoples experience for future purchases.

Nedders

Re: Spraydecks

Post by Nedders »

For me

Stomper = IR Lucky Charm. Super dry.

Jackson Monstar = Peak Creek , Very dry

Shiva = Will let you know.
Nick Newman.

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain »

L cockpit IR Kling On works damn well on my project. I imagine the diesel is similar.

Cockpit rims can make a boat much drier. The Kling On is pretty much designed to compensate for bad cockpit rims.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

I think it is individual boat (as opposed to boat model) specific. I have a honcho, and have tried several decks on it and it's let some water in each time I've been paddling. I have been round all the screws and added some silicon sealant, but it still lets water in. My Burn lets none in, and I use the same make/model of deck, but a different cockpit size.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

carlalvey wrote:I think this as I have a d75 and my nookie shockdeck isnt the driest but it seemed fine on my flux??
Only on Tuesday I was speaking to a chap at the club with a new Nookie deck and he said it was the driest ever. The previous week a friend was out in his Burn, he had been round and adjusted all of the screws and bolts and now his boat was extremely dry.

I don't know what this means but I guess there are all sorts of variables before you get a dry boat.

My canoe is consistently wet.

Ben10

Post by Ben10 »

I have a Diesel 80 and had a Peak Creek Deck and it leaked from around the Hip area the deck just didn’t seem to sit right the rim at the hip area. I got a Play Boater Work Deck and the problem has gone away no water coming in from around the hips at all. I think each boat will have a deck that fits it better, I found it has been about matching the rim profile with the deck profile not just the size.

Ben

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

I am on my second Rasdeck deck. Made to measure, and to fit the boat you specify, and shipped in from NZ. Newest one came in cheaper than the palm equivalent, and seems much better made and has so far been bone dry
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

carlalvey

Post by carlalvey »

2questions.
Does anyone have any suggestions for deck that will keep you dry in a pyranha sub 8 ball 1 . And a d75???
I don't mean one deck.
One for each??

ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

I use the palm rand deck on a large nomad, and it seems to be entirely waterproof.
My old deck is a peak deck that is really old (like 15 years plus) and has numerous holes and repairs but was still fairly dry on most cockpits but just didn't fit the nomad. I think part of it can be if a deck has been used lots on other boats that can define the shape, whereas if it's a new deck it might well then take the shape of your current boat...

carlalvey

Post by carlalvey »

Somebody must paddle a d75 and have a dry deck????

icklepaddler

Post by icklepaddler »

Piggybacking in here, but any suggestions of a good deck for a mk 1 Burn m?

The klingon looks ok on the web but yet to see one in the flesh. Is it correct that only 3mm neop, how do they hold up? Also, is the grab loop as big as it looks????

I had a look at the pyranha angry ones, but quality didnt look much

Regards

Andrew Battye

Post by Andrew Battye »

icklepaddler wrote:Piggybacking in here, but any suggestions of a good deck for a mk 1 Burn m?

The klingon looks ok on the web but yet to see one in the flesh. Is it correct that only 3mm neop, how do they hold up? Also, is the grab loop as big as it looks????

I had a look at the pyranha angry ones, but quality didnt look much

Regards
I have an IR Kling On, and its been bomber so far. I think the waist tube might only be 3mm, but the main part of the deck is much thicker. I took it to Austria a few weeks ago and after most rivers the underside of the deck was still bone dry, after being on an Ammo, which has a similar cockpit to a Burn mk1.

icklepaddler

Post by icklepaddler »

Cheers for the reply, its good to get honest detailed information when you cant see and touch before you buy.

If you dont mind providing a bit extra info though, how big are the release loops on the IR decks, they do look big and appear to stick up / hold an open shape.

Nedders

Post by Nedders »

icklepaddler wrote:Cheers for the reply, its good to get honest detailed information when you cant see and touch before you buy.

If you dont mind providing a bit extra info though, how big are the release loops on the IR decks, they do look big and appear to stick up / hold an open shape.

They are not so bad at all its just what you are used to.
Nick Newman.

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain »

The outer plastic bit of the handle is a requirement in the USA. It doesnt serve too much of a purpose. It would be pretty easy to cut it off.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

I spent last season paddling an array of different creek boats while I was choosing what to get – and used a Seals 1.7 which was great on everything apart from the Pure. But that boat's cockpit has a crazy dip at the side designed to roll any deck off.
Use it now on my Villain S and it's only had one slight issue, coming partially off, but that did have 12cms pouring onto it from 15 feet.
Super dry and easy to get on.
dave

Ian Dallaway

Post by Ian Dallaway »

Another vote for Seals.
I've had one for about 12 months now and it is by far and above the best deck I've ever purchased.

I've had a Palm Rand deck, an angry fish deck and assortment of other Palm extrem decks over the yesrs. The Seals deck is both dryer and easier to get on than any of the above. The build quality is much better too.

On the down side, it's also the most expensive deck I've bought too.
Ian

carlalvey

Post by carlalvey »

Been out a couple of times now. Been upright and upside down.
Wavesport d75 plus
Sweet shadrach jacket plus
And most importantly. Nookie shock and latex deck (keyhole)
Equals being very happy and dry.

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks »

The Seals Pro Rand Decks seem to be great on everything I have tried them on with the exception of Pyranha, then it's best to get a Pyranha one.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”