Best deck for a Shiva

Inland paddling
Nedders

Best deck for a Shiva

Post by Nedders »

I am paddling a Pyranha Shiva L at the moment and i have been using a IR Lucky Charm deck on the boat that i previously used on my LL Stomper. This Deck was great on the Stomper very water tight, however on the Shiva the water seems to get pushed up under the deck from around the hip areas. I think its due to the Shiva having a slightly narrower cockpit? Also this is the same for a Peak creek deck i have.
Is there anyone paddling a Shiva who has no leakage? If so what deck are you using and does it work just as well on other boats?

Cheers Nick.
Nick Newman.

Tom_Laws

Re: Best deck for a Shiva

Post by Tom_Laws »

Try a Seals deck - give Performance Kayaks (www.kayaks.co.uk) a shout - Rich can get you the best size.

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

A friend of mine uses one of Pyranha's own Angry fish decks, and has no issues with it on his Large Shiva
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

Nedders

Post by Nedders »

Cheers, will give them a try.
Nick Newman.

stephenrooney

Post by stephenrooney »

I've just picked up an IR Kling-On for my burn, which is what they suggest for Pyranha boats because of the deck shape and bolt positioning.

I haven't had it out yet but if its anything like the other IR kit I have I'll not be disappointed.

Steve

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain »

Pyranha boats have awful cockpit rim designs. It's sad but true. That's why you always see Immler swimming after the middle palguin in bomb flow.

Like Stephen said the klingon is the IR deck for Pyranhas. The 'taco' dry lip is meant to compensate for odd cockpit shapes by filling in the gaps and sealing them off. Obviously it won't have the same rock solid staying power as the lucky charm with it's rand but it will be drier and easier to put on. A better every day spraydeck if you like. It should be good for just about everything in the UK.

Nedders

Post by Nedders »

Mark Mulrain wrote:Pyranha boats have awful cockpit rim designs. It's sad but true. That's why you always see Immler swimming after the middle palguin in bomb flow.

Like Stephen said the klingon is the IR deck for Pyranhas. The 'taco' dry lip is meant to compensate for odd cockpit shapes by filling in the gaps and sealing them off. Obviously it won't have the same rock solid staying power as the lucky charm with it's rand but it will be drier and easier to put on. A better every day spraydeck if you like. It should be good for just about everything in the UK.

Cheers Mark, i had the Lucky charm deck off you which is sweet on the Stomper.
May be emailing you later ha ha.
I though Anton just liked to do it abit different to everyone else.
Nick Newman.

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain »

The man is fearless! And Pyranha boats are brilliant, a few little changes and they would be laughing. I guess you could say the same about any manufacturer though.

Croft

Post by Croft »

I've been using a Klingon on the Shiva (M) for about 4 months now - and it is really fine - driest boat I ever had.
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

Darragh

Post by Darragh »

Been using the IR Lucky Charm for my Shiva M for a month and a bit now (cheers Mark! Awesome service). It's a fantastic deck, if you find it hard to put on I suggest Yoga, natural yoghurts and a daily meditation... :-P
Seriously though it's not hard to put on, stays on and really is dry, plus it doesn't cost much more than a playboater deck which don't fit pryanha boats well IMO... Happy shopping

# EDIT: I bought the XC cockpit size

Paula_V

Post by Paula_V »

I use a playboater deck.... and it didn't pop when I paddled the middle palguin either!!
worldkayakblogs.com/paula

chrisps

Post by chrisps »

On my Shiva M, I am using the Seals Rand 1.7 deck that I have used on my Burn. Feels roughly the same "tightness" on the Shiva as the Burn.

Never had an imploision issue, although I haven't quite worked up to Immler sized waterfalls yet :). Going deep on 30-40ft ish drops doesnt phase it though and its pretty dry. I have had it since 2010 when my original 2009 one was replaced after it tore in Val Sesia, but I think that was a bit of a freak occurance (the actual neoprene tore as opposed to the stiching). Outdoor Active / Canoe and Kayak Shop were very good about warrentying it.

TimL@Pyranha

Post by TimL@Pyranha »

Hi

The Shiva has a slightly smaller deck size than the Burn but its slight and the Pyranha Large size Grumpy or Angry will be great.

The Pyranha large size deck is a slightly smaller size to a generic big deck. When choosing a deck there are lots out there and some features suit some people more than others but a deck that is made for and tested on a particular cockpit rim is always going to be best.

Whichever deck you choose make sure the retailer/maufaturer has actually tried the deck on the boat rather than "hey this should fit". I've seen many wrong decks recommended by both and there is no definite stable sizing on cockpit rims between manufacturers or even between boats from the same manufacturer often. This is alot of the reason we decided to make our decks as they are, the most important feature being that they take account of our cockpit sizes.

For a creekboat I would expect the deck to be tough but easy to get on. After all you're likely to be scouting drops etc and getting in and out of your boat relatively often. You're likely to be dragging far more water into your boat from your shoes than gets in through your deck. I'd expect to see a fair amount of give in the tightness of the deck accross the opening without it sagging. If its like a drum then its going to be hard to get on and have little give in it. = more liklihood of the deck popping when stressed.

Features that have useful properties also have negative impacts - a drylip can make a deck drier but is also likely to make it harder to get on. Kevlar will make the deck more abrasion resistant but will reduce stretch and make it harder to get on. Latex on the underside will make the deck stick top the rim better but again will make the deck harder to get on.

Hope that helps.

Tim
Tim
Pyranha
Runcorn

Tom*S

Post by Tom*S »

I have used a Seals deck on my Shiva for the past year and it has been excellent, highly recomended. Always a bit of water but then again, just as likely to be from my shoe than the anything else!

Tom
Tom Strongman

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”