First Quality Paddle purchase??

Inland paddling
funk3y

First Quality Paddle purchase??

Post by funk3y »

Im looking at purchasing my first quality paddle for WW/surf use. Something around 194-197cm.

Ive done a bit of looking about and the Werner player seems to be the best for my use however its fairly expensive. What other models would be worth me checking out that are a bit cheaper but still a quality product?

Onecar

Re: First Quality Paddle purchase??

Post by Onecar »

You'd have to go a long way to find a better product for your money and better customer service than VE's.
The new glass blades are strong and light and still less than £200.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

I would look at Mitchell blades, he has a 2nd line of cosmetic 2nds that he sells under a different name, ( Tiger paddles.)

The paddles are sound, They are cosmetic 2nds so may have some air bubbles in the gel coat ect, the same shaft and make up as he always does, the point being instead of being £180 you get it for £120 ( don't quote me on £ but just as a idea of cost )

Contact details here http://www.mitchellblades.co.uk/contact-us/

NIgel
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

My last set of glass werners has lasted 8 years and lots and lots of paddling - have retired them to my back-up paddles. They are expensive but worth the money IMHO.

The VE's look pretty nice - i would def consider a set. I like the Mitchell blades - but not super keen on the paddle shafts they use.

Core paddles could be worth a look but are really quite expensive. AT's are also super nice - but maybe outside your price range.
White water "rider"

steve4746

Post by steve4746 »

Hi,

I own a set of VE's and am more than happy with them, I have werner carbon cranks that I used to paddle with but swithced to the VE's after trying a friends and am glad I did as the feel of them is brilliant! The Werner's are still in the garage and they also put up with some abuse but the VE's are a better paddle.

Steve.
its all character building!!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

heather.rock

Post by heather.rock »

I got a good set of players off ebay for about £100, was my best buy ever and have never regretted it. :)

Aber Neil

Post by Aber Neil »

Depends how much you've got to spend and how much abuse you intend to give them. If you're not planning on doing too much strenuous whitewater and rock bashing you can get away with something a bit more budget. Ty Warps are fairly light and have a nice enough blade shape and only £130 at rapid kayaks (no affiliation just first shop that came up on google). Ainsworth have also started making some nicer budget paddles lately. You can get an assymetric blade shape for under £100 (albeit plastic). I think Palm have also bought out a decent looking budget paddle too.

If however you're going to abuse them and smash them off rocks then werners, VE's, Mitchells, Robsons and that sort of price range is the way to go. All paddle manufacturers have breakages but you do tend to get what you pay for. Personally I use AT's and love them and wouldn't paddle anything else. Some of these manufacturers also do a cheaper paddle such as the werner rio and robson zer.

The other option is second hand - you can get a top end paddle for half the price but it is likely to be a little worn down on the blades.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

I've been using Werner Sidekicks for last six years very impressed. However all good things come to an end and they've split. Demoed a set of VEs last week and they were brilliant. Such good power transfer I was sold. Just sorting my order out with Stu now. The customer service and personal touches that go into getting the right paddle for each customer is amazing. Try a pair you wont be sorry!

sarajames

Post by sarajames »

Palm are making some new very reasonably priced paddles. They are not glass blades but are much better construction that your average ' plastic paddle'.

If they had been available 6 year ago, when I was first buying paddles, I probably would have bought a set of these as I lost of few sets of decent blades. ( It took me a while to learn to hold onto them - I am a slow learner!)

I also know some paddlers who were previously paddling with expensive top spec blades, changing or considering changing to these for running harder water on international travel as they can afford to loose and break them on big falls etc.

May be worth checking out their website.

Sara

nedsdustbin

Post by nedsdustbin »

Theres a cheap werner player on ebay - £70 buy it now.

item number -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300732290969#ht_500wt_949

worth a look for a first paddle.

No link to seller.

funk3y

Post by funk3y »

nedsdustbin wrote:Theres a cheap werner player on ebay - £70 buy it now.

item number -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300732290969#ht_500wt_949

worth a look for a first paddle.

No link to seller.
Thanks mate I would of went for that but he wont send it.

What's Gorrilla paddles like any good?

morsey

Post by morsey »

sarajames wrote:Palm are making some new very reasonably priced paddles. They are not glass blades but are much better construction that your average ' plastic paddle'.
They have three options for those new Palm Paddles, I was looking at them in Performance Kayaks last week. £70 for the glass shaft/polyprop blade version. £100 for the glass shaft/Nylon Blade. £130 for carbon shaft/nylon blades. I think the middle option will be a popular choice. Nylon blade rigidity seems comparable to Lendal/Streamlyte nylon blades, shaft feel and indexing is positive and the blade size/shape looks about right. The £70 option looks a whole lot better than cheap aluminium shaft alternatives!

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

funk3y wrote: What's Gorrilla paddles like any good?
My first paddle were a set of Gorrilla's, strong, endurable, and pretty good to use from what I remember of them. I think they would be classed as fairly heavy by some of today's standards, but other than that, a pretty good bit of kit
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

funk3y

Post by funk3y »

Those palms do look pretty good for the money and would be more within budget. If I dont find anything second hand I think there what Ill end up going for.

How would the Werner powerhouse be for more a majority of playboating surf with the occasional WW?

morsey

Post by morsey »

It depends how you paddle. The power house is considered a large blade, and some people struggle with the blade size. For playing and surf many people prefer a smaller blade size. The choice is very dependant on personal use and it is best to try the different paddles for feel, efficiency and comfort.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”