"That's my boat!"

Inland paddling
Mark R

"That's my boat!"

Post by Mark R »

Was watching whilst some of my group ran the last drop on the Lyn gorge today. Then I noticed a boat floating down the rapid which looked remarkably like the one I thought I'd pulled high and dry out of the water when I stopped upstream...

Anyone else had the same embarrassing scenario?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

nomorfkindhalbhat

Re: "That's my boat!"

Post by nomorfkindhalbhat »

Worse ! Was paddling up the basingstoke canal and got out for a pee stop, when i turned round the wind had blown the boat into the middle of the canal and eventually to the far bank, had to swim across to retreave it in shorts and t shirt in October. why is it that every dog walker, jogger, mtb and bird watcher seems to suddenly appear at moments like this.

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

On the Allt A'Chaorainn (Etive) on a drizzly day, the water was rising fast, we all run part of the top section, pulled the boats out on to a sandy bank and walked down to study the next section. The water was rising many inches in as many minutes so I decided I wasn't running this next section, walked back to get my boat, and in the 5 minutes we had been out of the water, the water was probably 3" higher than the sand bank and the boats were floating and near to going out into the main flow.

I'd love to see my mates faces if I had left their boats to slink past them after the long 25 minute hall carrying them up.

Glyn B

Post by Glyn B »

Whilst rescuing someone else's boat on a beginners trip, my mates boat slid down the bank and back into the Wenning. A few days later he got a call from the Liverpool coastguard to say that his boat had been picked up!
All his kit including his camera, phone etc were intact and undamaged and other than the addition of about 40 pounds of silt the boat was unscathed.

GumGum

Post by GumGum »

Some years ago my brother and I were wave surfing in our inflatables (decent ones - not 'pool toys') late one October evening when we went to the aid of a girl in the water who had fallen off the cliff. We got her out of the water onto the nearest bit of land - a small rock outcrop at the bottom of the cliffs. Having contacted the emergency services we were expecting the local inshore lifeboat, but in fact it was a Sea King chopper that showed up. We had wedged the boats up onto the rock pretty firmly, but it turned out we had underestimated (by a considerable margin) the effect of the rotor downdraft on two inflatable kayaks...

Fortunately we were wearing wetsuits, but it did take us a bit of time to convince the coastguard types who were co-ordinating the rescue from the cliff-top that we would be just fine and that we weren't about to become casualties too.

Aber Neil

Post by Aber Neil »

Whilst eating my lunch on the rock near to the wave at the bitches one day I turn around to see my mates boat floating away with the tide which has slowly been rising whilst we've been taking a breather. I jump into my boat and my friend whose boat is floating away jumps into my other mates boat leaving him stranded on the rock despite having pulled his own boat up high enough. The two of us then proceed to battle valiantly against the tide to tow the boat back up but to no avail and eventually resort to get a passing tourist jet boat to take the kayak onboard and zoom back up against the tide whilst we try to hold onto the side for dear life as he guns the two massive great engines. I wonder what we'd have done had it not been for the tourists...

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

Indeed, on the Åmot in Sjoa a few years back. I hopped out to film, and when I went back for my boat it was not there....hmmm

Thankfully some paddlers staying at the German Camp on Lången, some 5 km down river, saw my boat floating by, and rescued it. They called my mobile, which was written inside, and after the re-union with my boats and a 6 pack of beer is payment later, all was where it should of been.

Scooter1969

Post by Scooter1969 »

Paddling Callaghan Creek in BC, we hopped out on either side of the river to inspect the first bid 5m fall, I saw my mates boat was not quite on the bank properly, all my gesticulation and shouting couldn’t attract him and the boat ended up dropping over the fall and pinning upside down on a rock in the base.

Fortunately his throw line was clipped into the boat and this washed free, we managed to snag this and dislodge the boat otherwise it would have been a very long walk out through bear country...

Poke

Post by Poke »

Two occasions spring to mind.

1) Leven in Scotland. I was fannying round inspecting the second two falls on End of the World, scratching my chin and wondering which line to take, when all of a sudden my boat appears on the horizon line, pulls of the most incredible boof of drop three, then also styles drop four. It arrived at the bottom with only an inch or so of water in it, leaving me with no excuse not to run them.

2) Beas in India. Day 2 of a month long trip. One of our group got washed down a rapid on a blind bend that would have been wise to inspect, so I decided to go and keep him company figuring that at least one of us should make it through to rescue the other (I had run the river before, albeit 3 years previously, so I knew there wasn't anything truly horrendous coming up). Fortunately, we both made it through and got out on the bank to signal the line to the others. After the obligatory ten minutes of fannying about, some frantic shouts from some local chaps on the road alerted me to the fact that there was a boat drifting off down the river. To be precise, my boat, which I'd only paddled for the first time the day before, complete with my SLR and two lenses in a drybag in the back. I grabbed the first boat to hand - a boat belonging to one of the other (shorter) members of the group, wedged myself in, and set off in pursuit. 2km of rather exhausting (but exhilirating) solo chase boating later I finally suceeded in getting my boat (and camera) to the bank.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

Not a boat but a paddle. On the Orchy my mate look a tumble and had the paddle pulled out of his hand, he did a hand roll, someone on bank support threw him another paddle and the last we saw of him was him dashing of down a class 3 section going vertical in some places. It had to be 50 meters wide at that section, rocks every where and his paddle a black carbon fibre.

Later he told me that after 5 minutes of paddling he gave up looking, paddled into an eddy started climbing out of his boat and hey presto, his paddle came round the corner stopping right next to his boat. Cool.

Easan

Post by Easan »

Christmas Eve 2011 saw myself an two buddy's head up the Etive for a festive blast.
The storms that were raging though had swollen the Etive to levels rarely seen, (so high that the rocks you stand on to look at the last drop were completely under water. But thats another story!)

We ended up parking the van at the side of the road and hiking up a trib of the River Coe. The winds were really strong and was actually lifting the water from some of the slides and carrying it off into the distance, (this should have been a warning). I was recovering from a cold and the hike up the glen was taking it out of me. My mate, on reaching the get in, felt sorry for me and put his boat and paddle down, to come back and help me.

Seconds later, the wind lifted his boat (Pyranha Burn) and brand new (never been used only got them the day before Mitchell blades), clear over his head and carried it through the air for 20m and into the middle of the Burn. Much yelling and arm waving alerted us to the problem. Not knowing how his boat ended up in the Burn on it's own, we dropped our boats to effect the rescue of his. This only provided further toys for the wind to play with!
In all we had two boats and two paddles (and all three paddlers) in the water before the trip had even started.
The time spent recovering the kit, allowed the trib to rise by a couple of feet, meaning the (Gd 4) stuff we'd scouted on the walk up was now completely unrecognisable (Gd 5) and going at a speed more akin to Silverstone than Glen Coe!

It was four hours between leaving and returning to the van, and the headcam footage showed it took us less than 5 mins to run the trib. The rest was spent scouting, hiking and rescueing solo kayaks!

Best Christmas Eve ever!

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Poke wrote:Two occasions spring to mind.

2) Beas in India. Day 2 of a month long trip. One of our group got washed down a rapid on a blind bend that would have been wise to inspect, so I decided to go and keep him company figuring that at least one of us should make it through to rescue the other (I had run the river before, albeit 3 years previously, so I knew there wasn't anything truly horrendous coming up). Fortunately, we both made it through and got out on the bank to signal the line to the others. After the obligatory ten minutes of fannying about, some frantic shouts from some local chaps on the road alerted me to the fact that there was a boat drifting off down the river. To be precise, my boat, which I'd only paddled for the first time the day before, complete with my SLR and two lenses in a drybag in the back. I grabbed the first boat to hand - a boat belonging to one of the other (shorter) members of the group, wedged myself in, and set off in pursuit. 2km of rather exhausting (but exhilirating) solo chase boating later I finally suceeded in getting my boat (and camera) to the bank.

Washed down?! I made the decision to carry on, it was just a shit one. 3 of the largest pour overs money can't buy.... urgh! I also gave up on chasing you chase boating in leiu of wandering about in the shit covered boulders by the side of the river. Loadsa fun!

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Scouting one of the rapids on the La Fresque section of the Ubye, I pulled my boat up onto the bank but not quite as securely as i would have liked. The first person got into his boat to run the rapid which knocked my boat into the water. It then proceeded to get a better line than any of us and eddy out conveiniantly at the bottom. If only I was paddling that well.

morsey

Post by morsey »

I wish my boat hadn't slid passed me and bounced off rocks into the Mellte at 10pm the other evening, it wasn't very helpful to the situation. Coincidently, last time when trying to retrieve kit on the same river, my paddles got knocked into the river and swept away. Need to be more careful!

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

One raft trip on the Zambezi heading on down after the normal run; two female clients, one raft guide, one safety kayaker. Things got amorous, clothes were shed and a beach found. Some time later the kayak only was on the beach The raft with all the clothes was nowhere to be seen leaving four naked people in a bit of a dilemma!

brunolb

Post by brunolb »

Yep, on the Asengjuvet on the Sjoa while having a look at the "gut", I see a yellow boat come bobbing down. Took a while for my brain to make the shift from "oh my, some guys are in trouble" to "damn, that is my boat". To cut a long story short, I jumped in my friends boat (preferring rather him to climb out) and gave chase down to the start of Amot to no avail. Dark thoughts crossed my mind as this was the first day of a supposedly 3-week kayak fest until my wife mentioned that she had seen a yellow shimmering while driving down to the take-out somewhere in the channels of the grade II part above the play gorge. Sure enough, I got to be re-united with my boat, happy times!

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As »

Rescuing a beginner's boat on the Ericht when the water was quite high I leapt out onto the bank in order to grab the boat which Paul had sort of in the eddy. I promptly fell flat on my face and dropped my boat which shot out onto the eddy line and started to drift off downstream. Thankfully, Paul has a "Club boats are meant to take abuse" attitude, so ditched the club boat and grabbed mine. We retrieved the beginner's boat about a km downstream at the first flat bit!
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!

Ollie5

Post by Ollie5 »

Paddled the Dart Loop on steps a few weeks back and when we carried our boats back up for a 2nd run of Triple Falls my lad let go of his boat thinking I had hold of it and it shot off at a rate of knots towards Totnes, we had to quickly get back in our boats and the chase was eventful to say the least at high levels.We finally caught up with it about 800 yds further down.

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott »

Working nights sat having breakfast at around 12.30pmand my boat floated right past the window.

MattBibbings

Post by MattBibbings »

Ran the Blean Y Glyn gorge above Tal Y Bont resevoir in a borrowed CFS. The guy who owned the CFS didn't know! All went well until the get out when I crawled out of the boat and turned around to see it soloing off down river. My initial thoughts were that it would happily snag on the stock fence under the bridge some 20 meters down stream.

It found the only gap big enough for the boat sneak through.

There were around 30 minutes of daylight left, around 4km of river to search in the hope that the boat had snagged somewhere before it made it's way all the way to the rather massive Tal Y Bont resevoir. To top it all off the river from here did not flow next to the road. So after a quick decision to drive down the valley to a few strategic points where I could run across fields to get to the river and then search up and down stream I was overjoyed to find it on the first effort! Not only had it pinned for an easy pull off, the fittings that had washed out had jumped right onto the bank next to it! Put it all back together and took it back to the centre I was working at and all was well.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

Simple things can help - when you get out to look turn your boat over it is much less likely to slide.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”