Upper Ayasse

Inland paddling
Dr Robin

Upper Ayasse

Post by Dr Robin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Has anyone done this section? I mean, above the park-and-huck waterfalls? What's it like?

Thanks,
Robin.

Simon Westgarth

Re: Upper Ayasse

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:30 pm

There used to be a race on the section well above the lower waterfalls, at Piolly, and it's great. If you have enough water for the upper, the lower is often too high though. There is another less run section further up river as well.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:51 pm

We looked at a middle section and an upper, last year. We got on neither - middle was prob too high and had trees in places you'd almost certainly want to be, and the upper looked okay but at just several hundred metres long and with the river rising fast in heavy rain, we failed to muster the requisite enthusiasm/ bravery.

Upper involved walking up from a road bridge (accessed *I think* just past a covered section of road, driving up the valley) as far as looked good, and taking out above a walled-in waterfall gorge shortly below the road bridge. A lot of gradient and some sticky-looking ledges at the level we saw. Grade 5, total length 500m at most?

Middle involved launching in a village and running some drops leading into a long series of slides. Looked good, again Grade 5 and no longer than 500m. Looked quite fast and out of control at the level we saw.

This was at the put-in for the middle...

http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/2011/ ... clear-out/
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Joe L

Post by Joe L » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 pm

We paddled the Upper Ayasse a couple of times last spring. Really nice run. Like Mark said park at the road bridge and walk up til it dosen't look fun anymore. I think we did about a kilometre and a half. Theres one portage thats pretty obvious the rest is a nice mix of bouldery stuff and bedrock drops.
Biggest drop is a double drop just after a footbridge. Really nice and smooth but the second half has a bad cave if you miss your boof. In high water this wasn't an issue but on our second lower run someone plugged the drop and got stuck in the cave for a long time. Watch out! Both runs the bottom california section was too high. Looks like there could be more further up the valley if your super keen.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Joe L wrote:Biggest drop is a double drop just after a footbridge. Really nice and smooth but the second half has a bad cave if you miss your boof.
Ah...we peered into this smooth-sided deep walled-in gorge and assumed it wasn't a goer, hence we assumed that was the end of the run. Big kahunas for going in and checking it out...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks guys.

I'd just like to say, this is the kind of situation where ukrivers is extremely useful. I ask a very specific and reasonably obscure question and get a detailed answer immediately.

Croft

Post by Croft » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Here is a film made on the Upper Ayasse from about 3 weeks ago by one of our lot.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1084643347 ... directlink

The hero at about 3 minutes is the great Jorge from Portugal! - white water's Jose Mourinho! The double drop (camera man swims) is at about 7 mins.

I went there last wednesday but decided not to get on - it looked a bit too chunky for the over 50s. The Pyranha Team and Palm guys were going for it though and it looked fantastic - particularly the double drop under the footbridge (mentioned above).
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:53 pm

River looks incredible!! Not enough water to send the huge kicker at 7.09?

Croft

Post by Croft » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Apparently in low water the route (as in the film) is to squeeze to the left of the kicker. On wednesday (much higher water than in the film) the line was to flip over the right-hand side of the rooster tail - very spectacular viewed from the safety of the bridge. The section above that, which they run in the film, is apparently very 'sticky' in high water.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:44 pm

What an interesting film! We had waaay more water than that when we bottled, river looks a whole lot more viable in low water.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow... and er, wow.
dave

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:32 am

Is this the river they call the california creek??
White water "rider"

KenHy

Post by KenHy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:05 am

justin-g wrote:Is this the river they call the california creek??
That would be the lower section. Walk up about 500m from the layby here -. https://maps.google.ie/maps?daddr=Strad ... ra=mr&z=16 over a footbridge and you'll see the drops., Don't be wanting too much water for this section! but you can scout easy.

Middle section is here - https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Local ... sz=19&z=16.

As Mark said loads of slides and drops, one possible portage. Finishes up with a 100ft slide which you can see in the google map!

Upper section is a little bit easier (but with one portage) - I think the covered bit of road is actually the take out for it - put in is at a bend in the road where a small walking path goes up along the side of the river - you'll see the drop you want to portage from where you've parked. Walk up about 400/500m for a few worthwhile drops!

https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Strad ... sz=15&z=16

Croft

Post by Croft » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re California run, watch out as this might easily be a bit confused with another river. Kayak Session describe the "California run" on the (fairly nearby) Stura di Ala as a 5 km section of V,VI starting in the village of Ala di Stura. There is also a 'California drop' on the Upper Stura di Ala. The Stura di Ala 'California drop' is described in the latest Kayak Session (Summer 2012 - number 42 - page 41) as: "a long slide with a monster rooster tail at the end". I have inspected but never paddled this section.

I've never heard the bottom section on the Ayasse described as the California creek before - but that doesn't mean to say that it isn't!

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Croft wrote:
Re California run, watch out as this might easily be a bit confused with another river. Kayak Session describe the "California run" on the (fairly nearby) Stura di Ala as a 5 km section of V,VI starting in the village of Ala di Stura. There is also a 'California drop' on the Upper Stura di Ala. The Stura di Ala 'California drop' is described in the latest Kayak Session (Summer 2012 - number 42 - page 41) as: "a long slide with a monster rooster tail at the end". I have inspected but never paddled this section.

I've never heard the bottom section on the Ayasse described as the California creek before - but that doesn't mean to say that it isn't!
The river i was thinking of - i think - is in Tincio near the Versasca.
White water "rider"

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Well, I did it. Here's the report and video:
http://worldkayakblogs.com/robinsolos/2 ... 12/ayasse/

Thanks to everyone for the information and advice, it was very accurate and helped me a lot.

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:01 am

Good job, Rob! Looked like it had a decent level - maybe even a little bit pushy?

brunolb

Post by brunolb » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Middle section is here - https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Local ... sz=19&z=16.

As Mark said loads of slides and drops, one possible portage. Finishes up with a 100ft slide which you can see in the google map!

Is there anybody who paddled this middle section? Done the lower part of it but the start looks quite challenging with that steep walled-in slide at the beginning, does not look easy to portage or put security. Maybe it is more straigthforward than it looks?
Along the same lines, anybody already had a go at that infamous slide/roostertail monster on the middle Stura di Ala or continued the paddle from there?

Any feedback muchos appreciated!

Bruno

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:45 pm

brunolb wrote:...Done the lower part of it but the start looks quite challenging with that steep walled-in slide at the beginning, does not look easy to portage or put security. Maybe it is more straigthforward than it looks?...
Hi Bruno, I've not paddled that rapid myself but I've witnessed a very good kayaker getting worked in there. It's a tricky rapid, and it's almost impossible to help someone in difficulty. Proceed with caution!

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:00 pm

I believe I also had a bit of a working in the above mentioned rapid.

We did the section from Pont Bozet down until a confluence a month a go and I have to say it was one of the best sections I have done in Italy, I can't wait to go back and explore the section above.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”