BEGNNER Boat

Inland paddling
SeaSurf01

BEGNNER Boat

Post by SeaSurf01 »

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner paddler looking to buy her first boat on a smallll budget.

I want something that will give me lots of confidence on mostly going up to grade 3, but it would be good if it could do a bit of grade 4 too. I mostly just want to river run but would be nice to be able to surf a bit both on white water and in the sea. If possible I would quite like it to not be too much hard work on the flat as I enjoy a bit of chilled flat paddling too.

I am a smallish female paddler weight 120lbs.

My shortlist is fluid spice, dagger axiom, jackson 2fun, I also do like the dagger infrared (the main boat I have paddled), and maybe an eskimo lupo/xeno? There aren't that many 2nd hand cheaper axioms around. Is this a good list? Any anyone can think of to add/ any that stand out/any I should remove?

Also, with the spice, I am at the end limit of small (but there are several around) and beginning limit of medium, the description says if you are at the lower limit its more confidence giving, at the higher limit it is more playful...which should I go for as I want something confidence giving and doesn't feel too big around me and is playful (surfing) but not too playful?

Sorry for a very long post and any advance is welcome!!

Thanks A LOT,
Sarah

-Ginge-

Re: BEGNNER Boat

Post by -Ginge- »

Wavesport Deisel. You wont look back.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

The Diesel sure ticks the river runner box. Not so sure I'd want to take one out in the surf!

Of the boats you've listed the Axiom is the one boat that does it all well.
The Fun is great little boat too but in surf they are a bit bouncy and because they're so short they are slow across the wave.

It's all about the demo.
Get in as many boats as you can and see which ones you like the feel of.

shanclan

Post by shanclan »

Axiom would definitely be very capable of ticking all your boxes..As you say, there aren't that many second hand.

Interesting you mention the Eskimo Lupo. Nice boat and you can pick them up cheaply, although there aren't many about. Another in a similar vein is the Big Dog Flux which is a surprisingly fun and competent boat with a wide range.

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

I would suggest maybe have a look at the Liquid logic Trigger, should be reasonably cheap on the second hand market, and would be a great boat !!
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

chris241

Post by chris241 »

There are loads of Pyranha Inazones around used at good prices. Good river runners and I often use mine in surf. It might be a bit hard work for particularly long flat water paddles though.

carlalvey

Post by carlalvey »

id also suggest taking some boats out on demos.
being abit of an impulse buyer myself iv only been paddling nearly a year and have had three boats,large karnali (too big),big dog havoc (too small) and now iv got the big dog flux which is great and sounds like just what your after as that is what i was looking for in a boat,a bit of everything.keep your eyes open and you can pick one up for around £300

SeaSurf01

Post by SeaSurf01 »

Thank you very much everyone! Advice and thoughts all really helpful!

CptBorg

Re: BEGINNER Boat

Post by CptBorg »

Check out the private sales section on here: Home => Community => Community => Forums => Private Sales
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... m.php?f=10

Should find something suitable in there.
River Rambo or Paddling Hermit depending on the day!

livefortheriver

Post by livefortheriver »

If your looking to do grade III+ then you DONT want to skip on quality just because a boat is cheap.
You need to be able to trust that your boat wont start leeking, crack in half, outfitting pop completely out etc.
Dagger infared is a low volume choice for crazier rivers. A good option is to buy a good boat like the karnali, built for creeking, but buy the club spec, around 400 new and just stick some foam in there. River running you need to be comfy for a long time.

I admire you wishing to paddle some awesome grade IV water as a beginner, (might wanna give it a while though!)

Hope this helps

SeaSurf01

Post by SeaSurf01 »

Thanks so so much for the replies everyone, they have been so helpful, really made a difference in helping me figure out the answer! I have just successfully bought a liquid logic trigger as I found one in good condition for a good price and seemed to fit the bill being surfable but with some volume, thanks so much again...now to further develop my skills! See you on the water!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”