BCU Workforce Audit

Inland paddling
David Fairweather

BCU Workforce Audit

Post by David Fairweather »

I have been told today that the BCU / Canoe England are currently "undertaking a Workforce Audit to plan for aspirant tutors". I can't quite work out what this means other than that they aren't allowing some coach training courses to run at present.

Can anyone shed any light on (a) the aims of the Workforce Audit, (b) it's timeframe, (c) what this means for coaches waiting for courses to run?

This isn't one of those anti-BCU /CE lunatic fringe rants, I just want to know what this means for coaches.

Mad_Erik

Re: BCU Workforce Audit

Post by Mad_Erik »

That all sounded very cryptic! What courses/coach education are they not allowing to run at the moment?
I have a dog, his name is Erik.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

I think it's all coach tutor courses. So that would be level 1 and 2 tutor and WWSR tutor courses. I was told this in relation to an enquiry about WWSR tutor training, but I have no idea what the context of the Workforce Audit is.

gonzo

Post by gonzo »

From my understanding its evaluating current tutors and what they are actively delivering.

A lot of "old" coaches were automatically given "grandfather rights" to deliver new courses yet have failed to run any.

The workforce review is about removing coaches who aren't delivering, then identifying the shortfall before running new tutor training...

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

gonzo wrote:From my understanding its evaluating current tutors and what they are actively delivering.

A lot of "old" coaches were automatically given "grandfather rights" to deliver new courses yet have failed to run any.

The workforce review is about removing coaches who aren't delivering, then identifying the shortfall before running new tutor training...
So to be a coach you have to deliver BCU courses? I thought to be a coach you have to, well, coach people:
Noun:
1. A horse-drawn carriage, esp. a closed one.
2. An athletic instructor or trainer.
Verb:
1. Train or instruct (a team or player)

2. Give (someone) extra or private teaching

3. Teach (a subject or sport) as a coach

4. Prompt or urge (someone) with instructions
So if you don't deliver BCU accredited courses they are going to kick you out? Glad I'm not one, or even a member of the BCU.

Mad_Erik

Post by Mad_Erik »

Well I can see the point of the audit. Amongst those working their way through the coaching system there is a recieved wisdom that you are more likely to pass an assessment with one coach rathe rthan another.

I hear stuff like this talked about at loads of clubs and centres: 3 Star Canoe for example, word is that if you go to a certain large commercial provider you will have a hard time... better to wait until 'Nice old boy volunteer coach' runs an assessment and he passes everyone, every time and you don't even have to go near moving water!

Then when the same candidates turn up to their UKCCL2 they get a bit of a shock when 'Mr Commercial provider' tells them they have failed on their canoe skills, despite having 'passed' 3 Star.

But then the wisdom changed... someone found a nice Old L4 who is also a UKCCCL1 assessor (who doesn't think much of sport science rubbish) so now that is the place to go for assessment, cos 'everyone passes'.

Having observed lots of different providers (to get signed off to assess various things) I can see why people get this idea. The differences in quality is shocking. I have observed WWRS courses deliverd on the upper Tees and one deliverd on what was barely grade 1. I know some people are risk adversed, but the two courses I observed bore no relation to each other.

Think that sorting the standards out is a very good thing
I have a dog, his name is Erik.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

This document may assist in understanding the process, there is only one reference to audits, on page 18 but the criteria are set and it would seem to make sense to ensure they are complied with.

http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/media/p ... 01%200.pdf

Just to clarify for contributors, we are talking about coach trainers, not coaches here.

Glyn B

Post by Glyn B »

David Fairweather wrote:
This isn't one of those anti-BCU /CE lunatic fringe rants.
If questioning the motives, effectiveness and transparency of the BCU/CE makes me part of the lunatic fringe I'm more than happy to stand up and be counted. :-D

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”