The best boating cafe in the UK?

Inland paddling
River Flair

The best boating cafe in the UK?

Post by River Flair »

Having had the pleasure of visiting the Ben Lora cafe in Benderloch near the Falls of Lora again recently, I came to the conclusion that it is probably my favourite cafe to go to on boating trips.

For those who don't know it, check out the picture here - http://www.teampyranha.com/?attachment_id=12777

The chap who runs it is friendly and chatty, the place is warm and cosy, the coffee is real and the food is tasty and well priced. I have been to other fine establishments, but I think this one is the best.

I was wondering whether others in the paddling community have a favourite boating cafe and whether they think it can rival the Ben Lora as probably the best boating cafe in the uk?

Dave
river-flair.com
teampyranha.com

garya

Re: The best boating cafe in the UK?

Post by garya »

Pete's eat's Llanberis

Not strictly a padders cafe but I allways stop in if I am in the area a mighty fine estblishment for any outdoor enthusiast

http://www.petes-eats.co.uk/static/llan ... nfo_01.asp

The cafe a jj's for the hot chocolate, big slices of homeade cake and nice sofas is also worth a mention

Bottom of my list right now has to be the cafe at LVWWC please guy's its a nice venue and looks great but being made to stand on the patio for 10 mins waiting becuase you are in paddling kit is not good and the queues time are crazy.. please fix it

Gary A

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. »

Conwy falls cafe. Breakfast's great. Coffee's great. Cakes are great. The pizza's great. The hospitality's great. Pretty convincing all round!

Jim Tait

Post by Jim Tait »

Tempest Cafe in Thurso - just what you need while waiting for the Pipe to start ......

Andy H

Post by Andy H »

The Cafe at Scotch corner as you pull onto the A66. I allways call in there on the way to the Lakes or up North as they do the best bacon and egg rolls in the world.

Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Squire

Post by Squire »

Yea a second vote for Scotch Corner.

Tea Boy Tom

Post by Tea Boy Tom »

A third mention for the hut at Scotch Corner...

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

Real food cafe in Tyndrum - it's my must stop fush and chups shop in Scotland... reminds me of New Zealand Fush and Chups - bloody brilliant.
White water "rider"

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Canoe Wales have started a twit thing #Paddlerswelcome - good for Welsh accomodation and eating.

A second vote for Conwy Falls Cafe, ver-nice indeed.

Mad_Erik

Post by Mad_Erik »

Conwy Falls Cafe Pizza is to die for and their film nights are mint.

Siabod Cafe in Capel Curig (on the Betws road, between Capel and Cobden's) defiately do the best breakfasts.

Pete's Eats just isn't what it used to be... think it is living off its reputation. Last time we were in there the service was awful and the standards of the food had gone down mssively. You could see in to the kitchen and it looked like chaos. The place wasn't even busy!

On the A66 the truckers Cafe on top of the hill between Bowes Moore and the Kirby Stephen turn off is great for a bacon butty. The Llama Karma Cafe near Penrith does the best cakes.

The Pies and the ham butties from the butchers shop at the top end of Middleton in Teesdale are perfect after running high-low.

Bryson's the bakers in Keswick has a cafe and pretty much everything they sell is amazing but the doghnuts are out of this world (thats where we go after the Greta)
I have a dog, his name is Erik.

Andrew Battye

Post by Andrew Battye »

Another vote for the Scotch Corner cafe. Also the butchers in Boroughbridge do the best pork pies in the world, FACT.

Mad_Erik

Post by Mad_Erik »

Andrew Battye wrote:Another vote for the Scotch Corner cafe. Also the butchers in Boroughbridge do the best pork pies in the world, FACT.
Boroughbridge... that well known white water destination ;-)

Andrew Battye

Post by Andrew Battye »

Mad_Erik wrote:
Andrew Battye wrote:Another vote for the Scotch Corner cafe. Also the butchers in Boroughbridge do the best pork pies in the world, FACT.
It's on the way to the Upper Swale if you take the scenic route! :P

Andrew Battye

Post by Andrew Battye »

Andrew Battye wrote:
Mad_Erik wrote:
It's on the way to the Upper Swale if you take the scenic route! :P
Woops I meant Bedale... revision has turned my brain to mush!

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold »

Alpine Cafe in Betws. Only downside is there is no toilet.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

I hate this thread. It's making me homesick.
dave

Rory

Post by Rory »

Patrick Clissold wrote: Only downside is there is no toilet.
.... and no possibility of service without an excessively long wait. Great place, fantastic food, great staff etc. Not so great service system IMHO

john fitz

Post by john fitz »

not really a cafe, but the best boating lunches for me have been pasties from T J Roberts & Son butchers in Bala when running the T. Also very good meat for post paddle BBQ

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

I'm a big fan of Cafe and Books in Llangollen for pre and post paddle coffees. Where else can you grab an americano and browse the thousands of obscure dusty old books under the same roof?

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

David Fairweather wrote:I'm a big fan of Cafe and Books in Llangollen for pre and post paddle coffees. Where else can you grab an americano and browse the thousands of obscure dusty old books under the same roof?
Daz's house.

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine »

Canny believe no one has mentioned Morrisons super market cafe in F. Bill...
dam the dart :)

GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Tempest Cafe in Thurso - just what you need while waiting for the Pipe to start ......
Sadly I can also remember it when it was the Ships Chandlers, an Aladdins cave for getting bits for fishing off the end of the pier there at high tide or at Scrabster.
Gary Mascall

callum s

Post by callum s »

For me it would be a close call between the Callander Pie shop/bakery and The Ballachulish burger van, heavenly pies vs the best and most epic chat ever...

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

Tom_Laws wrote:
David Fairweather wrote:I'm a big fan of Cafe and Books in Llangollen for pre and post paddle coffees. Where else can you grab an americano and browse the thousands of obscure dusty old books under the same roof?
Daz's house.
True, and with the Cresta within walking distance....and I have a toilet unlike the Alpine. I vote for the Siabod cafe or Big rock in Port.

D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Gotta say that I was pretty unimpressed by the Moel Siabod - cream tea was not up to scratch, though I hear the fry-up is better.

Alpine Caf is all well and good but busy busy.

Worth a go is Cafi Coed which is at Treetops (high ropes) on the A470 between Betws and Llanrwst - Mandy and Fiona do a great feed.

That green place in Ashburton is nice as well, as is the Real Food place in Tyndrum.

Mad_Erik

Post by Mad_Erik »

Forgot to mention... for the Upper Swale, Reeth Bakery. They have small cafe attached to their bakery proper and everything they make is fantastic, I thought the fruitcake served with Wensleydale hit the spot. The ice cream parlor in Reeth is great too.

Not a cafe but sells eggs for your breakfast is Django, a Hungarian cowboy dude at Thwaite who sells eggs. I kid you not... http://www.swaledaleponies.com/

Tea Boy Tom

Post by Tea Boy Tom »

purelandexpeditions.com wrote:
Tom_Laws wrote:
Daz's house.
True, and with the Cresta within walking distance....and I have a toilet unlike the Alpine. I vote for the Siabod cafe or Big rock in Port.

D
Daz, you are in the, ahem, lovely suburbs of Trawsfynydd...

I now feel strangely disloyal to Cafe and Books, in all it's downbeat, dusty glory. I reckon we should probably split this into two categories; proper sit down cafe and lay-by based caravan set up. In which case, I vote, the A66 job for layby operation and Cafe and Books for sit down job.
The Green Ginger in Ashburton gets an honourable mention. I'm amazed none of the SW boys have suggested it. Probably too busy arguing...

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

The Green Ginger in Ashburton gets an honourable mention. I'm amazed none of the SW boys have suggested it. Probably too busy arguing...

Yep it's good - but in the south west the daddy is the cafe at the get out of the east lyn - it got horrible food, bad, coffee, the cakes are stale - but it's open in the dead of winter when it's damm cold and there is only you in town and does hot stuff fast... plus it's literally at the get out....

Whats the funny cafe place half way up the upper conway run - that's a nice place for a cup of tea...
White water "rider"

SunburyAndy

Post by SunburyAndy »

Not a cafe as such but Paddy Van on the layby on the A40 200m before the turn off for Talybont on Usk. Fantastic, tasty and thick bacon on proper fresh bread - non of that plastic white stuff.

Morrison's at Fort Bill is becoming a regular stop off and also I quite like 19 in Crickhowell all though I claim no credit for finding it - that goes to cake monster Cooper.

ShaneOHara

Post by ShaneOHara »

This is a superb thread and this kind of information should feature in all good guidebooks!

What about the Tavistock Inn by the Dart, not a cafe and you sometimes get the impression that had there been a piano player he'd momentarily stop playing as you walked through the door, but the cream tea is pretty impressive.

What about south Wales, anywhere worthy of a mention?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”