Looking for a GPS tracker to log trips

Inland paddling
xrayhead

Looking for a GPS tracker to log trips

Post by xrayhead »

Hi All

I'm looking for a GPS tracker that will log the trip and then allow me to load up a map and show me a log of the trip!
Has anyone used of knows of a GPS unit that will do this? It also has to be waterproof...

Many thanks

Xray

purelandexpeditions.com

Re: Looking for a GPS tracker to log trips

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

I use a sport (find me) or a Garmin both able to do this job.

D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River »

The SPOT trackers will do this but they are not tracking every metre. The GPSMAP units garmin do will however. If you turn the settings to Battery save, they gps connect every minute or so so really keep the battery power for longer.

I use my phone to track short trip MTBing or Half day canoe/kayak trips. GPSComp MAP is a free app that background tracks so uses little battery up. It does not need a phone signal to track. It then creates a KML file so you double click that at a PC and google earth pops open with all the details - gradient, speed etc. If you have a phone signal, on the trip, that can show a map or google earth live.

For long trips eg 8 hour hillwalk, I use a Garmin CAMMO Etrex. It has a long life battery and tracks a route and again, you can see it on Google earth or other software later at home.

Poke

Post by Poke »

What you need is Strava...
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =3&t=90130
Then you can race everyone too :-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

GaryM

Post by GaryM »

We have used the Garmin Foretrex units very successfully, including 2 4 day treks across Wales, once through the back end of a hurricane, so no worries about being waterproof, although they are. Initially we had the 101, and more recently the 401, which has a much greater battery life (17 hours on standard AA batteries).
Both create .gpx files which can be uploaded into MemoryMap, Bing Maps, Google Maps or Garmin Connect.
A bit more helpful than a pure tracker, especially as will show your exact location, either in Lat/Long, or OS Grid reference.
Gary Mascall

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

sorry post should read as spot not sport (spot find me) waymarker function also allows for google map/twitter and facebook updates. D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

chilealan

Post by chilealan »

I use a Garmin Forerunner though any unit will do. Save the route as a GPX file.I then use everytrail which also allows uploading of images and positioning on the route. www.everytrail.com

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

Map watch and a waterproof note pad. You will get to see a lot more of the river because the map will show you things you haven't been looking for from the river.

(Sorry I know I am behind the times and I'm still trying to find someone to develop my Kodachrome slide film)

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

I have a spot - it's shit. I would go with one of the garmin GPS watches - they run Strava!
White water "rider"

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine »

A good friend of mine who I run with uses one of the garmin forerunner 305 watches. This seems to have the edge on alot of other Garmin ones that get used as the battery life is longer and it doesn't get stung by the cold so much. The functions it has are very impressive and it seems very easy to log everything you do online with them too on pages such as these- http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1452 ... 4.facebook .

Hope this helps.

Chris.
dam the dart :)

Strad

Post by Strad »

short journeys I use my phone - (samsung galaxy S with Tracker booster to increase gps accuracy and endomondo to log routes) - long journeys garmin forerunner
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Gareth dj

Post by Gareth dj »

-Ginge-

Post by -Ginge- »

I have a nice little gps watch from decathlon. Cheap and really good. Basically a stolen Garmin in different colours.

xrayhead

Post by xrayhead »

Thanks for all the help, just working my way through the post's and looking at my options!

Xray

xrayhead

Post by xrayhead »

feelingjustfine wrote:A good friend of mine who I run with uses one of the garmin forerunner 305 watches. This seems to have the edge on alot of other Garmin ones that get used as the battery life is longer and it doesn't get stung by the cold so much. The functions it has are very impressive and it seems very easy to log everything you do online with them too on pages such as these- http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1452 ... 4.facebook .

Hope this helps.

Chris.
That is really cool, like the way it pushes all the info into the Facebook page! :-)

I think the Forerunner-910 (very pricey) or the Foretrex® 401 will do the gob!!

Any or the handhelds will be to big I think, although this looks good for water sports;

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=38309

alanshunter

Post by alanshunter »

Well this is a bit easier and perhaps cheaper if you have a reasonable phone .
Just download an app called everytrail ..you can get a trial version for free and uprade later if you like it costs about a fiver for the pro version .
This will log and store your trip via your phones gps (if it has one and most smartphones iphones etc do )
You then upload to thier site and it stores oll your trips and any photos taken on the site for free.
It keeps a log of your cumulative milage so you know your paddling history.
Its not really a navigational aid I just run it in my day hatch and it works no problem ....if your battery fails during the trip it will save before shutdown and you can draw the rest of the trip on the website .

So no need to spend all your hard earned cash .
Example
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1542017

You can also add video etc.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”