Trent lock is running!

Inland paddling
p.r.unicycles

Trent lock is running!

Post by p.r.unicycles »

Trent lock weir is running. I scouted it half an hour ago, is anybody up for a paddle tomorrow evening?

Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

coopertron

Re: Trent lock is running!

Post by coopertron »

We were there earlier today, you could just get on the wave river right with a fast boat, but we spend most of our time just running different lines down the left and middle. Monday was the best day for it, lets hope it rises a bit again!

Ed

Onecar

Post by Onecar »

Do any of you local guys have any idea of how the levels here ( or on the EA colwick gauge ) relate to Newark Weir?
I'm hoping it'll be running at the weekend but it's quite a long journey for me to go and be disappointed.

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles »

According to desperate measures the gauge needs to read 3, but it has been running this weekend without it reaching that level. Drop me a PM if you want to meet there, i'd love to go but don't feel confident enough on my own
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

Onecar

Post by Onecar »

Is that 3 on the Colwick gauge?
The old phone gauge used to run at 1.8 to about 2.2 and I think that was taken from Colwick but not 100% sure.
Newark is really friendly at the right levels but horrible if too high but that is obvious as soon as you see it.
If I get any positive info on it I'll let you know if we're heading over it really is good fun.

akpete

Post by akpete »

1.7-2.1 on the Colwick gauge (maybe a wee bit either side) for Newark, should be running Sat but probably not Sunday unless it rains.

steveg

Post by steveg »

River right tends to be best at between 1.55 & 2.0 after that it's one long stopper.
River left comes in at about 2.2 and closes in at around 2.6

The levels are somewhat unreliable though as what is a good level one day isn't that good on another. Don't know why that is??

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris »

steveg wrote:The levels are somewhat unreliable though as what is a good level one day isn't that good on another. Don't know why that is??
If there's a sluice open somewhere or the lock is allowing flow through? (just a guess based on similar setups on Irish rivers)

Transplant

Post by Transplant »

Newark River left weir was running yesterday so should be on still today based on the levels at colwick.

harry_paddle

Post by harry_paddle »

Does anyone know what either Newark or Trent lock are doing at the mo?

And I'm not sure I understood peoples general consensus on the colwick guage- it's 2.44 currently

Poke

Post by Poke »

steveg wrote:The levels are somewhat unreliable though as what is a good level one day isn't that good on another. Don't know why that is??
Possibly becase the Colwick gauge is a long way from either of the weirs, so levels will be different depending on where and when the rain was. I think this is because before the online EA system, Colwick was on the old phone system... Now I'd suggest using:

http://www.environment-agency.co.uk/hom ... ionId=2109 for Newark, and
http://www.environment-agency.co.uk/hom ... ionId=2100 for Trent Lock.

There are some initial calibrations for these gauges (rather than the colwick gauge) on the respective river info sections Rainchasers:
http://rainchasers.com/river/trent/newark-weir
http://rainchasers.com/river/trent/tren ... awley-weir
...but more info is needed to make these reliable. Anyone any suggestions?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

andypagett

Post by andypagett »

The Rainchasers description is currently a bit wrong. It says "Trent Lock (Sawley Weir)". Trent Lock is actually Thrumpton Weir. Sawley weir is another (also playable) weir a mile upstream (the one you used to be able to see from the M1)

To contribute some (by no means definitive) data...

From the Shardlow Gauge

Sawley Weir

1.8m - looks like it is starting to become playable (was not on the water for this, this was the level as I walked past it)
2.2m - hole river right is surfable, river left is difficult to get on
2.5m - hole river right looks a bit deadly, river left looks much more fun and surfable

Trent Lock

2.2m - wave river right is surfable but looks like it could stand a lot more water to become really fun

Some photos of Sawley and Trent Lock at 2.23m here - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 830&type=1
Some photos of Sawley Weir at 2.57m here - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 398&type=3

B.Lowe

Post by B.Lowe »

If you use the Shardlow gauge it is worth considering the River Soar and River Erewash both join the Trent after the gauge but before the weir at Trent Lock. The levels from these might have an effect on the wave.

I always use the Colwick gauge because its the only one I know the calibrations for.

Newark: 1.8-2.4 meters but the gauge is well upstream of the weir. Short boats best.

Trent Lock: 3+meters. The gauge is downstream so just tend to be careful when its dropping to save a wasted journey. Long boats are best on the green wave river right. There is also a steeper, although more unpredictable, wave in the middle which seems better in short boats. You can also run a variety of lines. Apparently it does wash out but not sure when.

Sawley: 3.5+ meters. If its dropping too low just head to Trent Lock. I have surfed this at 5 meters on the gauge. It was starting to wash out but still a 3/4 foot clean wave to surf in a long boat.
Ben Lowe

andypagett

Post by andypagett »

B.Lowe wrote:If you use the Shardlow gauge it is worth considering the River Soar and River Erewash both join the Trent after the gauge but before the weir at Trent Lock. The levels from these might have an effect on the wave.
Good point. Thought it would be reliable for Sawley Weir.

RichA

Post by RichA »

B.Lowe wrote:If you use the Shardlow gauge it is worth considering the River Soar and River Erewash both join the Trent after the gauge but before the weir at Trent Lock. The levels from these might have an effect on the wave.

I always use the Colwick gauge because its the only one I know the calibrations for.

Newark: 1.8-2.4 meters but the gauge is well upstream of the weir. Short boats best.

Trent Lock: 3+meters. The gauge is downstream so just tend to be careful when its dropping to save a wasted journey. Long boats are best on the green wave river right. There is also a steeper, although more unpredictable, wave in the middle which seems better in short boats. You can also run a variety of lines. Apparently it does wash out but not sure when.

Sawley: 3.5+ meters. If its dropping too low just head to Trent Lock. I have surfed this at 5 meters on the gauge. It was starting to wash out but still a 3/4 foot clean wave to surf in a long boat.

This is what I've used for about 8 years and it's worked ok for me. For Trent Lock, you can get an idea of the level driving along the A453 and looking at the trib by the power station. If it's in the fields then you're on to a winner! Then you can use the small single lane roads to cut across to Sawley and on to Trent Lock.

g_c1_gbr

Post by g_c1_gbr »

Trent Lock at 3.3 on the Colwick guage on Monday

Strad

Post by Strad »

Looks good, and great to have some decent music on a vid,
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

elliott42kev

Post by elliott42kev »

Trent Lock, Thrumpton weir is running again this
weekend. There's been a couple of groups of us
making the most of it today and with the water
levels continuing to rise it'll be worth a trip out
tomorrow.

Poke

Post by Poke »

Can you keep an eye on the levels and double check the rainchasers calibrations if you get chance. andypagett has updated the guides for all of these so it would be great to confirm the levels...
http://rainchasers.com/river/trent/tren ... mpton-weir
http://rainchasers.com/river/trent/sawley-weir
http://rainchasers.com/river/trent/newark-weir
Cheers!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=yout ... ata_player

Tim, here is a video of us there on Saturday morning colwick guage was 3.16. This is a good level for a long playboat. Last Sunday was 3.45 and was the ideal level for long or short boats with most play moves possible-not by me! Not sure how this fits with rainchasers though. Phil

GLC GAV

Post by GLC GAV »

A little video from last weekend level was 3.40 or there abouts on colwick gauge

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJrnaxWrW0

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

GLC GAV wrote:A little video from last weekend level was 3.40 or there abouts on colwick gauge

Just found this one again, from your Dad Gav.

GLC GAV

Post by GLC GAV »

Good times man. Shame it hasn't worked this year!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”