Leaky Cag Deck

Inland paddling
Sam E

Leaky Cag Deck

Post by Sam E »

Hi All,
I have a Palm Apex Cagdeck (with the Des Mes deck) which is incredibly leaky around the neoprene waist. Just wondering if using latex paint around the deck tube would help at all? Or any other suggestions for that matter would be be great.

Cheers
See you on the water

TheKrikkitWars

Re: Leaky Cag Deck

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

If you can idenfify where it's leaking, then aquasure or stormsure are probably your best bet to stop leaking... latex would probably be effective, but I can see it becoming unplesantly tacky during warm weather.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Green.media

Post by Green.media »

my recommendation for glueing to neoprene and fabric is seam grip (avalible from millets, blacks and i believe field and trek) , aqua sure (available online and in scuba diving/surf shops generally is a little to stiff ive found, if its just a neoprene to neoprene bond then id look into aqua sure
for a seam that leaks you can get tape but I've never used this personally as it makes the equipment very stiff
Cheers
Rich

Sam E

Post by Sam E »

Thanks for the replies. There doesn't seem to be a specific place it's leaking. It seems the whole neoprene tube is as effective at keeping water out as a string vest... It did have the original Palm Phatlip deck on it which Des Mes replaced as it was leaking. Since the new deck it's been better but not great. This is why I came to the conclusion that it was the original neoprene.
Sam
See you on the water

dan dubya

Post by dan dubya »

you will ind with all cag decks from any manufacturer that after a while you will get moist around the midriff as, this is due to neoprene not being waterproof. possibly nikwax washing it may help.

dan

Sam E

Post by Sam E »

dan dubya wrote:you will ind with all cag decks from any manufacturer that after a while you will get moist around the midriff as, this is due to neoprene not being waterproof. possibly nikwax washing it may help.

dan
It's been used about 15 times... Been leaky from the beginning. Also it's not moist, it's very wet.
Thanks for the responses
See you on the water

morsey

Post by morsey »

I think there are probably several factors here. Firstly did you mention this to DesMes, they may be able to help solve it. Secondly the cag itself is looking at being two years old minimum (they were discontinued), at a guess I'd say three/four years! So there are issues with the fabric possibly coming to the end of its life which might be affecting the issue. You say you swapped the original deck because it was leaking, where was it leaking? The phatlips tended to not grip cockpit rims very well just about level with your hips, the easy fix was to cut the phatlip off and use as a normal bungee deck (even then they tended to seep a little). If your original deck was leaking around the waist join, or around the bottom of the neo waisttube to deck join, then that may have been fixable with aqua/gul sure type gunk to cover the original bonded seal. If the deck was swapped to get a better seal on the cockpit than the phatlip gave and now you have problems with the waist tube then it could be the technique used to join the new tube, or the new waist tube might have an issue. Impossible to tell without seeing the tube itself. The machine used by Palm, to make the original cag to deck join, wasn't based in the UK, so any mods/alterations/repair by Palm in the UK would involve a different type of attachment (approx 30mm band glued/taped/sewn) and I presume (guess) the Desmes join would be similar. This would be the area I would look at (if this was a new issue), and if I thought it was maybe an issue I'd ask DesMes for advice (I would have done that straight away after first use, not waited until after multiple uses). If your cag is four years old then you may need to get it coated with nitwax or similar to restore the water repellent coating, I imagine DesMes may have advised this when you gave them the cag to fix the deck!?!

How old is the cag?
What was the issue with the original deck?
Have you spoken to DesMes?

p.s. "string vest" comments will probably lose you sympathy, because it sounds a little whiny and we've heard many complaints on this forum over the years and often when the full facts are given, the expectations do not seem to match the reality! Not saying that will be the case here, it is just when people start using phrases like "made of cheese/tupperware/sieve" the chances of there being other major contributing factors tends to be higher!

Yew

Post by Yew »

Can you tell if the water is coming from the neck or the deck? My apex + dry trouser combo is perfectly dry at the middle join, but water comes down my neck and into my crotch area after a while, If i didnt know I would think the Waist seal was leaking, but its all from the neck.

Green.media

Post by Green.media »

my advice would be to get 2 empty cans of coke, put them in the wrists and tape them in, put a large icecream tub in the neck and tap it in, put the kag deck on a boat, put a bike pump in the drain bung and pump it up with the gag slightly damp/ with washing up liquid on it and see were it bubbles the first thing you have to do is work out were it it leaking
Cheers
Rich

nutterboy

Post by nutterboy »

Thats quite a novel and sensible idea thats really simple :)
temperature is a state of mind

Big G

Post by Big G »

I have the same cag deck but with the original palm deck. I have found it leaking around where the main area of the deck is sewn into the neoprene waist tube . Under closer inspection you can see where the sealant on the inside of the sewn join has deterirated. I simply ran a bead of Aquasure over the entire seam and let it settle so that it formed a new layer. This has seamed to work although allows less stretching round the waist tube making it harder to get over my chest.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Pull deck on as far as your chest, get someone else to apply the Aquasure and let it dry before taking it off.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”