Its official, the BCU provides a good service

Inland paddling
Mike A

Its official, the BCU provides a good service

Post by Mike A »

It looks like this years BCU AGM was as well attended as ever, the board and 3 other people.

If my club AGM was as poorly attended as this, the committee would be asking itself why the members appear so disenfranchised and would be asking the members what they could do to improve attendance and get the members involved in the governance, organisation and running of their organisation - unfortunately I dont think the BCU / CE is that bothered. Surely the easiest way to improve attendance would be to link the AGM with an event that paddlers will be attending.

Anyway, key point is that we dont have to worry about governance and policy within BCU as, "Brian Chapman, BCU Chairman, ... stated that the report clearly demonstrates that the organisation continues to grow, is achieving significant success across the disciplines, and is providing a good service to its members." We can all sleep easy now.

The one thing you can say though, at least it appears as if the AGM doesn't take long.

Mike

MINUTES OF THE THIRTY-SECOND
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING,
ON SATURDAY 3 MARCH 2012, AT 2PM
AT THE SCOTTISH CANOE ASSOCIATION
CALEDONIA HOUSE
1 REDHEUGHS RIGG
SOUTH GYLE
EDINBURGH
EH12 9DQ
MINUTES

1 WELCOME BY THE BCU PRESIDENT, MR ALBERT WOODS
Albert Woods, President, welcomed everyone to the 32nd Annual General Meeting. The meeting was attended by all members of the BCU Board, plus Duncan Winning, Kelso Riddell and Stuart Smith. Apologies were noted from Alan Laws and Malcolm Kerry.
Albert also informed the meeting that 29 valid proxy votes had been received, all in favour of the Chairman.

2 TO APPOINT TELLERS FOR THE MEETING
Duncan Winning was appointed as Teller for the meeting.

3 TO ADOPT THE MINUTES OF THE THIRTY-FIRST ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
It was agreed to accept the minutes of the 31st AGM. This was proposed by Brian Chapman and seconded by Alan Baker.

4 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE THIRTY-FIRST ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
There were no matters arising.

5 TO ADOPT THE 32nd ANNUAL REPORT OF THE BCU BOARD FOR THE YEAR 1 NOVEMBER 2010 TO 31 OCTOBER 2011.
Brian Chapman, BCU Chairman, reminded the meeting that the Annual Report had been available to all for some time now. He stated that the report clearly demonstrates that the organisation continues to grow, is achieving significant success across the disciplines, and is providing a good service to its members.
Brian informed the meeting that the BCU had celebrated its 75th Anniversary in November. This milestone had been celebrated by a gala dinner and awards ceremony.
Another success of the year had been the opening of the Lee Valley White Water Centre which will be used for the Slalom events at the 2012 London Olympics, and later, will be the venue for the 2015 Canoe Slalom World Championships.
GB Canoeing had a hugely successful season, winning a host of medals across all the disciplines.
The Annual Report was then officially adopted. This was proposed by Dave Belbin and seconded by David Gent.

6 TO ADOPT THE ACCOUNTS FOR THE FINANCIAL YEAR, 1 NOVEMBER 2010 TO 31 OCTOBER 2011
David Belbin, BCU Treasurer, stated that the accounts had been adopted by the Board, and had been successfully signed off by the BCU’s auditors. Furthermore, he stated that the Union is once again in a strong financial position, with reserves and cash in the bank.
He also explained that BCU received increased funding from Sport England and UK Sport and that our current activity is in line with this increased income.
Duncan Winning then asked the Treasurer if coaching activity in North America had any effect on our budget. Dave informed him that this made no significant impact. However, the whole position in terms of coaching in North America is currently being looked at, to ensure that it is set up in the best possible way.
The accounts were then officially adopted. This was proposed by Andy Maxted and seconded by Phil Blain.

7 DECLARATION OF THE RESULT OF THE ELECTION FOR THE BCU TREASURERR
It was advised that there had been 1 nomination for the post of Treasurer: Dave Belbin. Dave was duly re-elected for a further 2 year term.

8 TO APPOINT ‘HAYSMACINTYRE’ AS THE AUDITORS FOR THE FINANCIAL YEAR 1 NOVEMBER 2011 TO 31 OCTOBER 2012, AND TO AUTHORISE THE DIRECTORS TO FIX THEIR REMUNERATION
It was agreed that ‘haysmacintyre’ be appointed auditors for the financial year 1 November 2011 to 31 October 2012, and that the BCU may fix their remuneration. This was proposed by Dave Belbin and seconded by David Gent.

Paul Owen, BCU Chief Executive, was then presented with the BCU’s highest award, ‘The Award of Honour.’ The award was presented to him by Albert Woods, who stated that Paul joined the BCU 20 years ago, at which time the organisation was much less financially successful. However, under Paul’s leadership, it has seen huge growth across all of the 4 Home Nations; much of this success must be attributed to Paul’s leadership skills.
Paul is extremely well respected within and out with the sport, and the meeting agreed that he thoroughly deserved this particular award.

Big Henry

Re: Its official, the BCU provides a good service

Post by Big Henry »

Sounds like a round of back slapping for everyone on the board! It's good to see the BCU so successful in all areas. (Too much?)
Mike A wrote:It looks like this years BCU AGM was as well attended as ever, the board and 3 other people.

If my club AGM was as poorly attended as this, the committee would be asking itself why the members appear so disenfranchised and would be asking the members what they could do to improve attendance and get the members involved in the governance, organisation and running of their organisation - unfortunately I dont think the BCU / CE is that bothered. Surely the easiest way to improve attendance would be to link the AGM with an event that paddlers will be attending.
But they don''t WANT the hoi poloi attending. Not unless they tow the party line.

If the River Access Survey that's going on at the moment is successful, maybe an addition to the constitution could be a minimum of 100 members present (NOT in proxy) for the meeting to be quorate, excluding the board, so that they can't get anything done ever! But if it is successful, maybe they won't need it.

Incidentally, does anyone know the official number of members in the BCU?

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

It's in the annual report and usually in the accounts. 2010 was just short of 31,000.

TomOL

Post by TomOL »

Mike A wrote:If my club AGM was as poorly attended as this, the committee would be asking itself why the members appear so disenfranchised and would be asking the members what they could do to improve attendance and get the members involved in the governance, organisation and running of their organisation - unfortunately I dont think the BCU / CE is that bothered. Surely the easiest way to improve attendance would be to link the AGM with an event that paddlers will be attending.
If my club AGM was as poorly attended as this, it would have to be reconvened at a later date as there wouldn't be enough people to reach quorum!

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

And of course Edinburgh is such an easy to get to place for the majority of members...

Bod

Post by Bod »

SimonMW wrote:And of course Edinburgh is such an easy to get to place for the majority of members...
It moves around the nations that make up the BCU, which is only right. From where I am sitting you are in the frozen North :-) (according to my native work colleagues who have never left the county).
John B.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Bod wrote:
SimonMW wrote:And of course Edinburgh is such an easy to get to place for the majority of members...
It moves around the nations that make up the BCU, which is only right.
Is Edinburgh well known as a paddling hotspot? (I don't actually know) Maybe they should be targeting them?

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Those minutes describe a meeting that managed to be bland, pointless and anondyne, yet self-congratulatory at the same time. Quite a feat.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

forestknights

Post by forestknights »

An award for the 20 years leadership. Progress on access in the past 20 years Zero.
Know the wisdom of patience during times of inactivity.

www.forestknights.co.uk

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

If we were in Syria, no doubt Baby Asad's SCU (think about it) would have tanks stationed beside most rivers to blast dissident paddlers out of the water. At least the BCU ignores all of its members including the freedom fighters for improved access. Things could be much worse. Compared with this scenario the service must be described as good, I suppose this is what Brian Chapman is referring to.

crisp

Post by crisp »

I have been attempting to get an extension to my 4 star open canoe training and the BCU have provided a very poor service. I sent the paperwork to them in early January and eventually got a decision in April saying no.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Quite right, everyone knows that if you haven't been assessed, no matter how much more leading and practice you do you will have forgotten enough of the training for the assessment process to be totally flawed. You will need to do the training again. However, once assessed, we all know that you will never forget anything.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”