advice on spraydecks

Inland paddling
samwaller

advice on spraydecks

Post by samwaller »

i have a necky chronic and am looking to find a watertight deck for it. i had a peak x3 deluxe which had an extended spray skirt beyond the shock cord, but it doesnt seem like the cockpit lip of the chronic has enough room to accommodate an extended skirt. i am currently using a playboater deck with only a shock cord and it leaks. i was thinking of getting a deck with rubber around the edge rather than a shock cord, perhaps this one

http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/acat ... Decks.html RRP is £85 and a 10-20% discount might be possible

it would be handy if the deck fitted on my java as well but an awesome seal on the chronic is top priority. i think they are both nominally keyhole but the chronic feels like the smaller end of keyhole

thanks

Lambs to the Water

Level Six

Post by Lambs to the Water »

Sam

Can I shamelessly promote the Level Six playdecks which I currently have in stock in medium and large

http://www.levelsixinc.com/2006/Play.html

I am currently selling these for £80 including the detachable air bladder. I could throw in P&P
Tim

Steve B

Re: advice on spraydecks

Post by Steve B »

samwaller wrote:i have a necky chronic and am looking to find a watertight deck for it. i had a peak x3 deluxe which had an extended spray skirt beyond the shock cord, but it doesnt seem like the cockpit lip of the chronic has enough room to accommodate an extended skirt. i am currently using a playboater deck with only a shock cord and it leaks.
I have a Nookie deck, I forget the name but it is shock cord with a frilly bit. It is absolutely bone dry on my Necky Jive. I don't know for sure whether the Chronic has the same cockpit rim, but it seems quite likely doesn't it.
Steve Balcombe

Tim Maud

Plug!

Post by Tim Maud »

Can I have a go?

RT Kevlar rand deck would give you the driest ride. The "S" seal seams glued and double Blind stitch construction mean its is water tight.
The combination of stretch fabrics and Kevlar mean it is tough but flexible. The rand does need a bit of pre stretch though. But that means the deck once in place will not go any where!

Or try the Phatlip. It is designed differently than most other "lipped"
decks. Most are cut to be too big and the shock cord sewn where the deck should have been cut so the lip is wrinkled
The Phatlip has been design to give a wrinkle free fit. Therefore drier and less bulk under the shock cord.

Thanks

Tim Maud

Product Designer

Palm Equipment International Limited
www.palmequipmenteurope.com

Big O

Post by Big O »

Shameless plugs coming left right and centre, having used bothe the Palm decks and the Nookie deck, they all perform the same in terms of keeping dry. It is up to you to decide your budget and which fits the boat the best.

Tim, do you not still have your Jive tucked away somewhere with your sponge, i mean polo boat? I also presume that we won't be seeing that unique way of draining the water out, on any of the new Dagger boats.

Tim Maud

Post by Tim Maud »

Owen, I had a Gliss.
Which had to be sold to put me through uni!
My sieve is in storage at my parents house. I must try and get the dust off and start playing again, I miss polo.
Not had a leaky boat from my current employers yet. I had a stupid squashed one for Uganda! Never let Cheese near your boat when it has just come out of the oven!
Hope you are well, Dart time soon!

I apologise for the shameless plugging.

Tim

boater rich

Post by boater rich »

What do people think of the Palm Extrem deck, as I'm not overly convinced by huge amounts of kevlar on everyones top end decks as they seem to reduce the stretchiness of the deck and hence its fit.

Rich

samwaller

Re: Level Six

Post by samwaller »

Lambs to the Water wrote:Sam

Can I shamelessly promote the Level Six playdecks which I currently have in stock in medium and large

http://www.levelsixinc.com/2006/Play.html

I am currently selling these for £80 including the detachable air bladder. I could throw in P&P
what is the detachable air bladder for?

Lambs to the Water

Bladder

Post by Lambs to the Water »

The bladder is an anti implosion device.

Level six wanted to expand the idea of a beach ball which many playboaters are using as opposed to an overthruster, but they wanted to make it safer and more user friendly. What they devised was a deck with a soft velcro underside which attaches to a rough velcro top on the shaped bladder. Basically when you pop your deck the bladder comes too. The deck obviously can be used without the air bladder.

I was kinda skeptical of the concept but having seen how it all fits together I think it's pretty good. If you don'y fancy it for that use it would make a pretty good bow air bag in a creeker.

Apparently independent reviews from Canada and the US have been very complementary. I haven't seen them but will try and get a copy if you're interested.
Tim

NickB

Post by NickB »

Reminds me of the old 'Big Boy Lifedeck'!
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

davebrads

Re: Spraydeck

Post by davebrads »

Reminds me of the old 'Big Boy Lifedeck'!
....which was banned when it trapped a paddler in the boat. To be fair the bladder on this deck does not look as big as the foam blcok on the "Big Boy", and it is designed for larger cockpits.

For those older than about 40, the Big Boy was a deck with bouyancy foam attached underneath, so that the paddler would not have to wear a bouyancy aid. It was designed for slalom boats, with the benefit that the paddler would have more freedom of movement, and be able to get that bit closer to the poles. After someone nearly drowned at Grandtully through not being able to bail out of his boat (when you are upside down the bouyancy floats into the boat, of course), it was banned.

NickB

Post by NickB »

I didn't realise the Big Boy was banned because of an entrapment, I just thought it went out of favour when the wearing of Buoyancy Aids became compulsory for slalom. Correct me if I am wrong but until this time the slalom rules simply stated that a paddler must have a minimum of 6kg of buoyancy attached to their body. Obviously with the buoyancy attached low down a swim could become rather interesting!
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

davebrads

Re: Spraydeck

Post by davebrads »

I believe it was the Big Boy that prompted the change in the rules to specifically state bouyancy aid, which made the Big Boy redundant. It was never anything like as dry as a neoprene deck, and maybe as a coincidence Bushy started producing his Bushdecks at around this time, which were far superior to anything we had been used to.

ken hughes

Post by ken hughes »

You are all missing the solution to the spray deck problem:

Throw them away and get an open canoe!!!!

Half the paddle, twice the paddler.

Open your mind, and open your deck.

Ken
to the dull mind nature is leaden, but to the illuminated it burns and crackles with light

JAR

this'll probably get lost...but what the...

Post by JAR »

I have a Necky Orbit Fish and recently bought a Peak freestyle deck.
1) Bombproof seal
2) Not too tight-but tight enough
3) Cheaper than all the above
4) Doesn't look like some daft spaceship cover (personal opinion)

So, that'a my tuppence worth, hope it helps you decide.

Cheers,

JAR
Are you getting what you want?
Is what you're doing helping?
What can you control/change?
Are you doing the best you can with the tools you've got?

waverley610

Re: advice on spraydecks

Post by waverley610 »

samwaller wrote: it would be handy if the deck fitted on my java as well but an awesome seal on the chronic is top priority. i think they are both nominally keyhole but the chronic feels like the smaller end of keyhole
Interesting, as having just become a two-boat kayaker,
I was thinking do I now really need a seperate deck for each boat?
I mean just how much do decks mould over time to suit their chosen cockpit,
and could using the same deck on two different boats,
lead to it fitting neither particularly well?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”