Access Awareness April 2012

Inland paddling
morsey

Access Awareness April 2012

Post by morsey »

An issue that affects all recreational paddlers and domestic competition paddlers is river access.

At the Olympic Slalom selection event in Lee Valley, April 2012, it is being considered whether to stage a protest to raise public awareness. To make it clear: It would not be an attempt to disrupt, delay or sabotage the event. Absolutely no intention to impact on the event at all, just making use of the event to raise awareness. A simple case of lining the banks with people holding "No Access", "No Canoeing", "Private River" etc. banners. The point would be to raise public awareness of the issue facing all river users, walkers, swimmers, SUP, SOT, canoeists and kayakers with access to rivers and of the attempts to control use of the natural resource, and restrict public use..

The main thrust of this is being generated by recreational paddlers, however, competition based canoeists, swimmers and others have been involved in previous campaigns and suffer the same discrimination of access to training/competition facilities as recreational paddlers.

If you think this is a good or bad idea please say so, and please indicate if you would be willing to support/attend.

It would be good to get as many responses as possible, from a range of paddlers/river users, so that a gauge of overall opinion can be assessed.

Thanks Simon :-)

box2k2

Re: Access Awareness April 2012

Post by box2k2 »

I seem to remember hearing something about non approved advertising not being allowed into the Olympics, including such things as T-shirts, banners etc.

I would imagine you'd fall foul of this if it is the case.

edit - It's referred to as ambush marketing. I'd put money on them using that legislation to stop you.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... urity.html

Strad

Post by Strad »

box2k2 wrote:I seem to remember hearing something about non approved advertising not being allowed into the Olympics, including such things as T-shirts, banners etc.

I would imagine you'd fall foul of this if it is the case.

edit - It's referred to as ambush marketing. I'd put money on them using that legislation to stop you.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... urity.html
Ambush marketing is about, err, marketing, if there's no company who could they fine??
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Since this will be at the selection event rather than the actual Games, until they are made aware of this thread they probably won't have cared about it! But now they will.

morsey

Post by morsey »

The information was posted on Canoe England Facebook page, Canoe Slalom, Canoe Polo, UKRGB, Thames Freestylers, Dart Paddlers, South Wales Kayakers, Song of the paddle. If I have missed any areas where views and opinions should be collected, please point that out and I will spread it further.

I intend not to enter into discussion personally on this thread, as I have done that to death and my views are clear for most to see. I would like to measure if possible the opinion/support/view of clubs and club paddlers to this issue, and would appreciate as wide a response as possible. Thanks :-)

MK123

Post by MK123 »

While the intentions seem good, surely having a protest about injustices felt by kayakers at a kayaking event watched for the most part (if it is televised?) by people who like kayaking is only preaching to the converted?

Strad

Post by Strad »

MK123 wrote:While the intentions seem good, surely having a protest about injustices felt by kayakers at a kayaking event watched for the most part (if it is televised?) by people who like kayaking is only preaching to the converted?
I thought it was more about trying to get the governing body to understand the depth of feeling that they're on the wrong path...
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

MK123

Post by MK123 »

morsey wrote:protest to raise public awareness

JonT

Post by JonT »

I have reservations about simply "..protesting to raise public awareness..." I don't think it is positive enough and fear it may not take us forward.

Perhaps we should simply target BCU/CE with the simple message that Access Agreements don't work and that BCU/CE are not representing the membership. Then publicise that message.

JonT

Post by JonT »

This event is a BCU event to select the paddlers who will represent UK in the Olympic competition. As such I very much doubt that the LOCO ambush marketing restrictions will apply.

Tickets are available at :-
http://www.gbcanoeing.org.uk/gbc/index. ... ndon-2012/
and
http://www.eventelephant.com/gbcanoeing ... london2012

It will make a good day out for all of us who failed to get Olympic tickets......

Liam

Post by Liam »

Make sure you all wear your kayaking is not a crime tee-shirts around London and to Olympic events!

dougdew99

Post by dougdew99 »

This is a great idea... I will be there... look forward to seeing more details... someone is prepared to do something, rather than endless impotent discussion on here and sOTP

Pete the kayaker

Post by Pete the kayaker »

Morsey....

...why?

I don't see what it'll achieve unless you are expecting coverage that will be seen by the public at large.

Are we going to protest so the BCU/CE becomes more involved in access issues? Quite frankly, I've come to the conclusion that I would rather they didn't.

Most of the movement in access has come from paddlers just going and doing it, encouraged by the Rev Caffyn's excellent work. This, backed up with internet communication that ensures it is easier to find out about our rights and responsibilities has led to an marked growth in natural river paddling in England.

The BCU/CE have only acted as a brake on this growth, funnelling activity into hotspots where "agreements" exist and generally discouraging paddling outside such "agreements". Added to which, I cannot see the likes of Paul Owen having a Damascene convertion and agreeing to throw a sizable chunk of the membership's money into a sensible access policy (even if this miracle did occur, they'd still muck it up - look at what they did with the coaching scheme).

So please don't get them involved, they'll only ƒµ©◄ it up for the rest of us.
*Fringe Extremist*

forestknights

Post by forestknights »

Protesting is one way of getting wider public attention. I support Simon's efforts.

Great to see someone willing to act.
Know the wisdom of patience during times of inactivity.

www.forestknights.co.uk

Gareth dj

Post by Gareth dj »

Demonstrating about access to white water at a multi million pound facility designed for white water kayaking.
I'm sure lots of the public will understand

Gareth

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe »

Big Henry wrote:Since this will be at the selection event rather than the actual Games, until they are made aware of this thread they probably won't have cared about it! But now they will.
Trust me, they are already more than aware given this had been posted on many forums and pages that LOCOG staff read!

I have already made my views known elsewhere but essentially dont think it is fair to distract those that have trained for may years for their potentially once in a lifetime chance to make it onto the Olympic team.

charliew87

Post by charliew87 »

Precisely Gareth. As I said on TVF:
This seems like a good place to get the point across properly, not confuse Joe-public by holding signs that would look like you're condemning the sport. The idea of a protest is more to highlight what you WANT! If the public saw signs saying "private river" (which, by the way, Lee Valley IS) they'll see it as people supporting no-access... "access for all", "your river, my river, our river", "kayaking is not a crime" seem infinitely better ideas.

Jon_Brown

Post by Jon_Brown »

BaldockBabe wrote:I have already made my views known elsewhere but essentially dont think it is fair to distract those that have trained for may years for their potentially once in a lifetime chance to make it onto the Olympic team.
Whilst I agree with you to some extent, at this year’s Olympics I would like to see a River Access equivalent of the 1968 Mexico City Olympics Human Rights/Black Power Salute where Tommie Smith John Carlos and to a slightly lesser extent Peter Norman made a stand.

In 2011Akaash Maharaj, a member of the Canadian Olympic Committee summed it up when he said, "In that moment, Tommie Smith, Peter Norman, and John Carlos became the living embodiments of Olympic idealism. Ever since, they have been inspirations to generations of athletes like myself, who can only aspire to their example of putting principle before personal interest. It was their misfortune to be far greater human beings than the leaders of the IOC of the day."

nutterboy

Post by nutterboy »

I agree with both BaldockBabe and charliew87

When I first read that you wanted banners saying private river etc. I thought the public would think we were against access, not campaigning for it

I also reckon that distracting those who we are there to support is wrog and you would be better off holding a protest outside the gate or in an area near but not on the banks

Just my tuppence worth

David
temperature is a state of mind

charliew87

Post by charliew87 »

I take back what I said about it being a good place to do this. The competitors have trained hard for a long time for this, let them have their day. Sorry I didn't see it like that at first post...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”