River Medway Clean Up

Inland paddling
andy g

River Medway Clean Up

Post by andy g »

Following the great success of Mark Allen and friends on the River Dart and no doubt many other groups elsewhere, the River Medway Paddlers Group has initiated a clean up weekend for paddlers to help with doing the same on the stretch between Tonbridge and Allington.

Please post here if you would like to help but are not part of an organised club who are already coming.

Tonbridge, Whitewater Action Medway (WAM), Meridian, Maidstone, and various groups are already committed to coming

Andy

Below is part of the flyer publicising this:

Many Hands on the Medway

Join us as part of Go Paddling Week to keep the River Medway looking pristine.
Scouts, Cadets, Clubs, Centres, groups and individuals who use the Medway are invited to a mass clean up of floating and tree borne debris on 14th or 15th April 2012.
Sections of the river will be divided up to manageable sections and arrangements made for easy access, and for spots to place collected rubbish. Rubbish bags provided.
Kayaks and canoes welcome.
Supported by the Environment Agency.
Paddle the River Trail and improve it.
Be part of 500 paddlers on the river, doing your bit to make it a cleaner place.

TonyM

Re: River Medway Clean Up

Post by TonyM »

Good on you all.

I learnt to paddle in the old weirpool at Leigh so that river's closes to my heart although in no longer live in the South East. I hope it goes well and you get lot's of support.

Does anyone paddle from Penshurst these days? It was the start of my first river trip, in a Klepper folding double as I recall. Seemed like a lovely bit of river.

Tony

andy g

Post by andy g »

Tony
Thank you for your good wishes, we are hoping for a good turnout and some publicity our sport.

Many clubs still use the weir pool at Yalding to teach newbies early moving water skills.

Not many paddle from Penshurst , partly due to access issues , and partly because there is rarely any water in that stretch now.

You might not recognise the section from Tonbridge down to Yalding , canoe chutes at every lock, so it makes a nice 13 mile paddle without having to leave your boat, great for beginners, early intermediates and mixed ability groups. Credit where it is due, the EA have done an excellent job on this river, and we even have an open forum with them to discuss paddlers' issues. (Why can't more rivers be like this?)
Andy

jam.ie

Post by jam.ie »

We have also setup a Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/310300055691462/ for anyone that would like to join.
We will be posting details, updates and photos on there for anyone interested.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”