What feather for scouts paddles

Inland paddling
chris241

Re: What feather for scouts paddles

Post by chris241 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Personally I would go with 45 degree feather as it is probably the most common currently. Much as you are likely to be mainly doing taster sessions and novice sessions, we all started from such humble beginnings and what you are teaching now could be the foundation of their future paddling. Also if you start them on 0 feather now and they get on great and then in years time they go to a club or centre with a more common feather and find it loads harder than they remembered, how de-motivating will that be? At least as they begin they are expecting a bit of a learning curve. In my experience I have found that most people get the hang of using paddles with some feather quite quickly.
One thing I do strongly disagree with is getting only right hand paddles. Firstly my wife is left handed and finds it completely impossible to use a right handed paddle even standing on dry land. Also I have lost count of the number of times I have seen people really struggling at pool sessions and once given a left handed paddle are able to paddle happily round. I don't normally make an issue of this and don't call it a left handed paddle until after they have tried it. I just say "why don't you give this paddle a try?" and if it works tell them to look for a left handed one in future. It's all very well saying that they'll get used to using a right handed paddle but if they get so frustrated prior to that, that they stop paddling how is that of any benefit? Imagine the uproar if you got a fantastic deal on left handed paddles and said to the group you were buying for "we've got a special price on these so we only got left handed but don't worry you'll all get used to them over time." And yet this is exactly what everyone is suggesting should happen to people that paddle left handed.
I'm not saying that all left handed people will paddle left handed (I'm left handed but paddle right handed) and clearly some people may be right handed and paddle left handed. I don't think there is a problem with giving everyone a right handed paddle and just offering a leftie where a problem becomes apparent, but I think it is important to have the option.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 pm

OwenBurson wrote:It's a subject that would certainly make a great study for someone. It's interesting that we train, test and benchmark our racing paddlers with the help of ergos that have zero feather.
All the ergos I have seen effectively have a swivel so that the rope aligns with the direction of pull, making feather irrelevent.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:53 am

OwenBurson wrote:It's a subject that would certainly make a great study for someone. It's interesting that we train, test and benchmark our racing paddlers with the help of ergos that have zero feather.

Making such a blithe statement may be based on your experience but that doesn't make it fact. If you'd have said something like "in my experience I have felt that my stroke rate and/or power output was affected when paddling into a head wind using a 0 degree feather paddle" then it wouldn't have been nonsense, merely a personal opinion which would have been as valid as any other. In my experience zero degree feather has no effect against lighter winds and if it had an arbitrary 1 knt disadvantage into a headwind, then myself and many other sea kayakers who use zero's would have changed back years ago.

I genuinely didn't, and don't mean to disrespect you in any way and I offer my apologies for the apparent offence it has caused.
Who says it's a headwind affecting his performance? What's to say that with the set-up in his sea kayak (or even when the boat is loaded for a journey) the 0-deg feather just doesn't line up well with the movement that's most natural to his body...

When you start measuring things with numbers, you have to account for all the things that could affect that number, not just the one you think changes it.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:03 am

davebrads wrote:I'm more concerned about the alignment of the wrist on the bottom hand as that is definitely pulling, and I would have thought that it was a good thing to have your wrist aligned for this, and that is why I don't care for zero degree feather paddles.
Dave, I agree completely regarding the alignment of the bottom hand, and that is one reason why I like zero feather. Using zero, I can get my offside wrist aligned to pull without it being limited by the strain I had to put on my 'control' wrist. But I switched to zero when the alternative was 90º and I suspect 45º would have fixed that.

Others do suggest problems with zero that I haven't found. Perhaps the stroke I've evolved means I roll the paddle slightly between strokes without being aware that I do it?

Chris

dpround

Post by dpround » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:34 am

I understand the concern when I say I am only going to buy RH paddles. In an ideal world I would buy lots of paddles so that I have a good range of sizes in both hands. What I have actually got so far is less than half the money I need to buy two thirds the number of paddles I think I need to cover the size range alone. Inevitably the results will not be ideal. In years to come I hope to expand the range of equipment we have. The paddle supplier has offered to get me a LH paddle quickly if I need one.

All the best

David

OwenBurson

Post by OwenBurson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

TheKrikkitWars wrote:

Making such a blithe statement may be based on your experience but that doesn't make it fact. If you'd have said something like "in my experience I have felt that my stroke rate and/or power output was affected when paddling into a head wind using a 0 degree feather paddle" then it wouldn't have been nonsense, merely a personal opinion which would have been as valid as any other. In my experience zero degree feather has no effect against lighter winds and if it had an arbitrary 1 knt disadvantage into a headwind, then myself and many other sea kayakers who use zero's would have changed back years ago.

I genuinely didn't, and don't mean to disrespect you in any way and I offer my apologies for the apparent offence it has caused.
Who says it's a headwind affecting his performance? What's to say that with the set-up in his sea kayak (or even when the boat is loaded for a journey) the 0-deg feather just doesn't line up well with the movement that's most natural to his body...

When you start measuring things with numbers, you have to account for all the things that could affect that number, not just the one you think changes it.
Absolutely, I totally agree and that's what I was getting at.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”