Verdon Multiday

Inland paddling
The Drowned Fish

Verdon Multiday

Post by The Drowned Fish » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:12 am

So I'm going to be in France around the week of the Queens Jubilee week (1st week of June, double bank holiday's, hmmm) and I quite fancy going for paddle down the Verdon Gorge. Anyhow, a couple of questions...

Where can I find out when the dam is releasing Also I quite fancy doing it a s a two day paddle, what are the chances of the dam releasing two days in a row? is this in fact necessarily?

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers
Simon

Croft

Re: Verdon Multiday

Post by Croft » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:52 am

The website that gives the Verdon releases is here:

http://www.rafting-verdon.com/gb/news.php?id=1

However it is a bit 'sporadic' in the way it is updated (currently giving info from Sept. 2011).

There was a telephone number for the fishing club but I never managed to get any meaningful information off it.

Usually the summer releases are on tuesdays and fridays - so not 2 days in the row.

If you wanted to bivi in the gorge then probably best to paddle on a release day on day 1, to beyond the Imbut - bivi in the wildest part of the gorge - and then do a short paddle out on the lower part (pools with scrape) and into the lake on day 2.

In early June maybe the Upper Verdon and the Var Daluis gorge will be running nicely too - they are very nearby.

There is an updated description in WW. S. Alps 3rd Edition.
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:54 pm

We did it last year, on a Tuesday. We had it done in about 7 hours, but or top tip would be to camp over there the night before and thus make an early start.

It took us 3 hours to drive from Briancon, 2 hours to sort shuttle, 7 hours to paddle, 1.5 hour shuttle, and then drive back to Briancon arriving sometime after 2am.

thetangoman

Post by thetangoman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Simon, so that you can get your 'multiday experience', how about biviing at the top, then paddling the section in a single day, carrying all of our gear?

That way after a good days paddle we can still go back to civilisation!

Andy

howhardcanitbe

Post by howhardcanitbe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm

some pictures here, to see what a treat you are in for, its an excellent day paddle, would be a great bivy half way down if you can get back to back releases.

http://itsonlyahill.co.uk/2011/07/d952/

The Drowned Fish

Post by The Drowned Fish » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Cheers folks. I've got the new South Alps book, it's just been packed away somewhere and I can't find it! I'll have to look harder for it.

Liking the idea of paddling the majority on the first day then a short second day.

S

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”