What makes more money: raffle or auction?

Inland paddling
Pete C.

What makes more money: raffle or auction?

Post by Pete C. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:52 am

I just wanted to canvass a few options for a bit of fundraising. As part of the Dee River Festival we've had some really great prizes donated to raise money for North East Wales Search and Rescue. Pyranha have given us a Jed, we've got paddles from Mitchell, Nomad and Robson, gear from PeakUK and Palm and plenty more coming in.

We've registered to run a raffle with the local council and were about to get some tickets printed up. But someone suggested running an auction instead and - considering we've got nearly £2000 worth of prizes already - I wonder if that might raise more money?

At Gauley fest a couple of years ago American Whitewater were running a 'silent auction' for loads of gear - put your bid in an envelope and if, at the end of the night, you've bid the most then you win it. I was seriously considering running it like that for most of the kit and doing a public auction for the five or six top prizes. We'd probably run those during Saturday night's DRF Talk Battle.

I'm erring towards the auction idea, but we could do with making a decision quickly. Would you enter a raffle? Or would you consider bidding on something at auction (new and with warranty)? Is there anything obvious I've overlooked in terms of running the auction? And - of course - what's going to raise more?

Tom_Laws

Re: What makes more money: raffle or auction?

Post by Tom_Laws » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:54 am

Tombola, hoopla, whack the rat and bearded ladies.

T

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 pm

How many people are you expecting? If you're expecting enough that £3 a person or whatever would be more than the value of the items, go that way - no one will pay more than RRP at an auction... (unless you get special 'glow in the dark' edition one offs or something).

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Ask TeaBoyTom about his old Spectra line and an auction they went to in Canada...

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:47 pm

I believe that legally you have to have a qualified auctioneer to auction anything. But we don't every year at out Scout jumble Sale & Auction and no-one has ever said anything. If it's a one off and no-one in officialdom finds out you'll be OK.

The added benefit of raffle tickets is you could advertise them on here for people who can't make it to buy before hand. It's all about increasing your market.

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:14 pm

I'd have thought that a raffle would be bigger, as you can sell here, £2 a ticket, someone might chuck a tenner in the pot for 5 shots at a a £900 boat, but bidding, they'll be on their i-phones using an app that tells them how cheap they can get it online and then trying to beat that by £50.

I know that the raffle at the Storm Gathering usually does pretty well, but by licensing it and being able to sell prize draw tickets, this site and social media should be able to generate you a much bigger audience to sell the tickets to.

Just my two penn'orth.

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Hmm - choices choices! I'm not sure we'll have time to really get the sales going in earnest before the event (especially with the time it takes to print tickets), and I haven't even looked at how you'd sell raffle tickets online. The system we're using to sell coaching workshops definitely won't do it.

But some great advice! We're only selling about 70-80 tickets for the Talk Battle on Saturday night so - doing the sums - I think we'll do a better job with the auction than the raffle.

And Tom only wants a tombola so he gets to wear a bowler hat and draw tickets out of a drum!

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:48 am

Would a PM on here to the right person constitute a sealed bid? You could have your cake and eat it. No tickets to print and a massive potential audience. Just post a list of prizes the week or so before. That way you may actually get the £50 quid under retail price for the items rather than relying on someone at the event wanting the item and having a pocket full of cash.

Even perhaps a group chat on FB live during the auction? May be more trouble than it's worth though.

Chris

jriddell

Post by jriddell » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:30 am

People with an ethical (or practical) objection to gambling won't do raffles. There aren't many of us (most Christians don't care despite it being in their bible) but it must come under some discrimination guidelines to bar us :)

Uisce

Post by Uisce » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:56 pm

jriddell wrote:People with an ethical (or practical) objection to gambling won't do raffles. There aren't many of us
Good.

Cos I just feel so unethical about spending £5 last summer on the local duck (Raffle) run in support of a Children's Hospice. How do I sleep at night ;)

Boop

Post by Boop » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:39 pm

I can see me being tempted to stick £500 on the Jed, so long as its the right size. You'd have to be daft not to, even if you don't want a Pyranha playboat, you could flog it on UKRGB for a profit. I can see it being a bit of a bun fight for the high value prizes.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Jones Chris wrote:Would a PM on here to the right person constitute a sealed bid? You could have your cake and eat it. No tickets to print and a massive potential audience. Just post a list of prizes the week or so before. That way you may actually get the £50 quid under retail price for the items rather than relying on someone at the event wanting the item and having a pocket full of cash.

Even perhaps a group chat on FB live during the auction? May be more trouble than it's worth though.

Chris
That's a great idea.
dave

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Pete C. wrote:And Tom only wants a tombola so he gets to wear a bowler hat and draw tickets out of a drum!
Might do that anyway...

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 am

OK - auction it is, then! I was thinking silent auction for most of the lots with bids possible all day Saturday, and then an evening auction for the big ticket items like our Pyranha Jed and Mitchell paddles. I'll post up a list of lots at the end of the week, once confirmed.

I'll give a bit of thought to absentee bids as well - Chris raises a good point about sealed bids. Only problem, maybe, is knowing that someone will definitely pay what they've pledged?

And I've been working on the 'kayaking pub quiz' as well for the Friday night warm-up (alongside the video premiere of Hanuman Airlines and a short talk on writing the Welsh Rivers guidebook). If anyone's got any particularly good trivia (that isn't super-obscure) then feel free to drop me a PM!

P.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Pete C. wrote:Only problem, maybe, is knowing that someone will definitely pay what they've pledged?
Since you'll have a list of who bid what, just offer it to the second then third bidder? And you have to decide what to do if two people put the same top bid in via sealed envelopes. (I'd treat that like a normal auction and accept the first one in.)

Or you could name and shame, and organise a mob on here to go round and get the money off them!

UnderTheBridge

Post by UnderTheBridge » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Solictaion

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:07 pm

The solicitation's going well - the canoe trade have been really responsive and NEWSAR are a cause well worth supporting.

We're going to run two types of auction - an on-the-night auction for the top six prizes and a silent auction for some of the other generous donations. You can take part in the silent auction at Paddleworks canoe shopon Saturday afternoon and at the Dee River Festival talk battle on Saturday night.

And we've decided to do without absentee bids. Unfortunately it's just too much time to put the systems in place to manage them - and we're running out of time as it is! So if you want to bid without being there, you'll need to find someone who's going to be at the event to place your bid (and make the donation) on your behalf. Sorry for those who can't make it, but it's the only feasible way we could find to do things.

I'll stick it all up in an info page on the website this afternoon, but this is what's been pledged so far. We'll start bidding at 20% of ticket price:

On-the-night auction
Pyranha Jed - Medium £849.00rrp
Mithcell Blades Jaguar/Genesis Orange Ultra Hybrid - 197/40 R £199.00rrp
Peak UK Bespoke Racer Pro PFD £89.00rrp
Nomad Whitewater Multilayer paddle - made to order £160.00rrp
Palm Flow cag - blue -large - Ex display £159.95rrp
Nookie Iceman all-in-one £89.99rrp

Silent auction (ends 10pm Sat)
Robson Hells Bells Flowtech paddle 191/40R £199.00rrp
Nookie Thermalcore half zip £49.99rrp
Nookie Baselayer Pants £39.99rrp
Book bundle (White Water Nepal, North Alps, South Alps, Pyrenees and Nepal) £89.75rrp
Palm Ladies Aqua cag - saffron - medium - Ex display £229.95rrp
Palm 2m Paddle Bag £45.00rrp
Palm Neo Socks - Size # £16.95rrp
Dagger Mamba t-shirt - small £20.00rrp
Dagger Mamba t-shirt - medium £20.00rrp
White Water Active Rafting voucher for 2 £110.00rrp

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:51 pm

And we've just had pics through of Peak's special one-off buoyancy aid. I'm looking forward to seeing what this goes for on Saturday night!

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:13 pm

What an awesome night! I really enjoyed the talk battle, a different format and very entertaining.

More heckling next year please!

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Indeed - a superb night, and a superbly fun event.

Highlights for me -
Paddling my RPM again, the boat I learnt to paddle in.
Pete Astles and the Everest video.
Pete Cornes as a quiz master.
Sara's inspirational chat on getting off your arse.
Tim Sadler, Pyranha Armour and firing up the spirit of Jose Cuervo.
Surfing bottom wave on an SUP - a very strange feeling!
Skins to win, in March!!

Massive thanks go to all the organisers, in particular Pete and Emma for their truly tireless work behind the scenes and being lumbered with all sorts of mad tasks. If you see them on the river, give them a smile, they deserve it.

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words - it was great to hear feedback from people, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I think the talk battle was a real success, and people really seemed to get into it.

We ended up auctioning the top six items live, and the others as silent auctions. Overall, we made over £1600 for North East Wales search and rescue - far more than we could have done as a raffle. A huge thanks to all our supporters for their generous donations - especially Pyranha for the edition-of-one Jed, PeakUK for the world's best PFD (see above), Robson, Mitchell and Nomad for paddles, Palm, Square Rock and Nookie for gear and everyone else who donated a prize...

And - of course - a huge thank you to everyone who turned up. It was great to see so many people enjoying themselves in the sun on the river and the river bank. Cheers everybody!

Poke

Post by Poke » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:51 pm

I'd just like to echo Tom's thanks. I had a really fun weekend, and really liked the numerous new/innovative* ideas which you'd all come up with - e.g.
- talk battle
- kayaking pub quiz
- auction
- attainment race

There's write-up here: http://www.teampyranha.com/?p=12054 and I got speaking to a chap who was taking photos on hte sunday afternoon. Click hereto see if he got you!

I recommend clicking the write-up link, if only to see something else innovative, imaginative and different about the weekend - the DRF talk battle trophy, which looks suspiciously like it was nothing at all to do with kayaking in a former life :-)

*well, i've not seen them before at a kayaking event, anyway.

Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”