Questions to CE from Doug Dew

Inland paddling
Mark R

Questions to CE from Doug Dew

Post by Mark R »

https://www.facebook.com/#!/canoeengland

Doug Dew has asked some sensible and sober questions about Canoe England on Facebook - take a look, and consider also asking for the questions to be answered in good time.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

yurper

Re: Questions to CE from Doug Dew

Post by yurper »

Mark it is my belief that the Canoe England FB page is just another tool for CE to highlight the up and coming elite paddlers in this an Olympic year.
The chance of either yours, Darrens or Dougs questions been answered is marginal at best, the chance of these questions been answered in a comprehensive manner are non exsistant.
I have long given up on CE as a non elite paddler and wonder what is CE purpose/role to ordinary paddlers.

Joe
Get busy living or get busy dying...
Pain is glory

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Experience has suggested that they eventually do answer Qs through FB - although usually they choose to answer a different Q to the one that you asked.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

yurper

Post by yurper »

Hense;

The chance of either yours, Darrens or Dougs questions been answered is marginal at best, the chance of these questions been answered in a comprehensive manner are non exsistant.
Pain is glory

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I think asking these Qs of CE is an important exercise; even if it carries a 0.1% chance of making them reflect upon/ acknowledge limitations to their Access 'policy', then it isn't pointless.

A year ago we asked who was salaried in charge of Access policy; and kept asking for a month, until they conceded that no one really was. Now (and it may well be total coincidence...), someone is.

Or we could all discuss setting up hypothetical alternative governing bodies which we all know perfectly well will never happen.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

yurper

Post by yurper »

Fair point Mark.

I still wonder though that the kingdom known as CE.
Do those at he top still realise that the Members are there bosses; for without us would there be a CE?
Elite paddles would just come under Sport England surely.
Pain is glory

morsey

Post by morsey »

Mark R wrote:Or we could all discuss setting up hypothetical alternative governing bodies which we all know perfectly well will never happen.
Seems a more positive option than chasing questions from an organisation that, at all levels, demonstrates a complete lack of accountability and unwillingness to have open discussions. Also, I have corresponded with a few people over the years who have researched the option, and do not feel the same futility of possibility.

My interpretation of the BCU response to being asked about Access is that someone at BCU/CE HQ might have, as a small part of their job renit, the task of delivering an Access policy, but the access policy is still not clear, it alludes to one thing, but states another. If BCU/CE want to claim they have a similar access policy to Canoe Wales, then lets see it in writing, it should match pretty much word for word, excepting the words "England", "British Government", "Welsh Assembly" and "Wales". Access is a high priority for BCU/CE, the only problem is they regard "Access" as being the facilitating of people to be able to access canoeing as an activity. And, more precisely the increasing of participation in competitive events. The issue of River Access is not even on the agenda, it is a side salad that often gets left untouched. And, the test of whether BCU/CE do have an effective River Access Policy is to give clarity on whether or not BCU/CE officers are in negotiation (in official or unofficial capacity) to form an access agreement on the river Dart. Canoe Wales would dismiss that notion, in an instant.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

morsey wrote:I have corresponded with a few people over the years who have researched the option, and do not feel the same futility of possibility.
Then do it, and I'll certainly be the first person to put my scepticism aside and back it.

But you are a case in point, Simon; for years you have made more noise than anyone I can think of in repeatedly calling for a new body to represent paddlers (as well as repeatedly calling for EGMs), but I am aware of no specific actions by yourself to lead the way on this and make such things happen. This is not a personal attack, just a statement of how things stand. My point is that if someone as verbal as you is not taking such action, I'll eat my hat if anyone else is.

Myself, I'm happy just to chip away at those folk actually paid to do this stuff.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

forestknights

Post by forestknights »

Currently, we do not have enough resource to answer all the questions posted on Facebook regarding Access. We appreciate this is an important issue to a large proportion of our membership &, as such, are currently investigating alternative ways to communicate with you, so that your questions can be answered by the relevant member(s) of staff quickly & efficiently. Please be patient whilst we consider how best to do this.
Once again CE chooses not to have a dialog with its members.
Know the wisdom of patience during times of inactivity.

www.forestknights.co.uk

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Currently, we do not have enough resource to answer all the questions posted on Facebook regarding Access. We appreciate this is an important issue to a large proportion of our membership &, as such, are currently investigating alternative ways to communicate with you, so that your questions can be answered by the relevant member(s) of staff quickly & efficiently. Please be patient whilst we consider how best to do this.
Now they really are having a laugh. Talk about making excuses! That last sentence is utterly hilarious. Are they really trying to tell us that it is nigh on impossible to contact the relevant people in the organisation to pass on the information to them to post the answers on FB? What kind of "resources" are they talking about? It's not as if we're trying to raise the Titanic here (or maybe we are?).

forestknights

Post by forestknights »

Removal of Comments, Posts & Discussions
by Canoe England on Tuesday, 21 February 2012 at 13:50 ·
Canoe England has reluctantly taken the decision to remove all the comments, posts & discussions from the Canoe England Facebook Page which we consider to be inappropriate.

From the relentless posting of demands, questions & complaints, often when answers have already been provided by Canoe England, it has become clear that Facebook is not an appropriate channel of communication through which to hold discussions about single issues.

Facebook is a social, not an anti-social, medium. The Canoe England Page was set up to promote canoeing & enable our sport to engage with others, to facilitate positive dialogue between different members and as a forum in which to share information, ideas & tips.

It was not set up as a replacement for more established channels of communication and, as the Social Media team have publicised on various occasions, should a response to a question be desired, other forms of communication, such as email, letter or phone, should be used in the first instance.

Canoe England is not, nor ever has been, a single campaign organisation and, as such, the organisation cannot allow any single issue to continue to dominate its Social Media; it has a duty to ensure other users aren’t discouraged from engaging with the Page by the occupation of any single topic.

Whilst we investigate alternative & more appropriate forms of communication (We are currently looking into the possibility of holding regular live web chats, amongst other ideas) all correspondence relating to Canoe England matters should be directed to:info@canoe-england.org.uk

We will aim to respond to all correspondence within 28 working days though should we receive a high volume of enquiries, such as that seen on the Canoe England Facebook Page in recent weeks, this may not be possible.

Wwe have a responsibility & and reserve the right to remove any content, and those who post it, from the Page. Please see our Social Media guidelines for further clarification at:
http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/media/p ... eb2012.pdf
Words fail me.
Know the wisdom of patience during times of inactivity.

www.forestknights.co.uk

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Because of course sledgehammers and nuts go so well together...

morsey

Post by morsey »

Sorry Mark I missed your reply to my post. All fair comments. It would be helpful if people could put some ideas, issues and discuss points on the thread I started recently, it was intended to be a fact finding mission. Cheers :-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”