Trade in your WW kayak for a Sit on Top, Do it now!!

Inland paddling
morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44 pm

hereorkayaking

Re: Trade in your WW kayak for a Sit on Top, Do it now!!

Post by hereorkayaking » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 pm

What a Concept!
Keen to see how they handle in the flesh!
Steve
If in doubt, boof left.

Steve Davies

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:26 am

http://www.facebook.com/notes/fluid-kay ... 8097568310
We are happy to present the Do It Now.

The Do It Now is a revolutionary new whitewater sit-on-top kayak that will change the way beginner kayakers view rivers. Be prepared to have your perceptions changed.

The Do It Now completely removes the fear factor of being trapped inside a kayak, which is the biggest obstacle to keeping new paddlers in the sport. It will be the ultimate craft to grow whitewater kayaking.

The Do It Now has a true whitewater pedigree. It allows for exactly the same interface between paddler and boat as any whitewater kayak, meaning that the knees, key to boat control, is in fixed contact with the boat. This was achieved by raising the knee area of the sit-on-top high enough for the knees to push against, with short thigh straps to keep the knees in position. This allows the paddler to control the kayak properly by edging the boat accurately when needed, and it also allows the paddler to roll the boat.

Being a sit-on-top, the Do It Now has the advantage of being sealed from water entering the shell. This allows a swimmer to get back onto the boat anywhere in flat or moving water, making swims much shorter and less intimidating. No more swimming to the bank and emptying water out of a heavy boat.

The hull is based on the Bazooka hull but wider, making it a fast, stable, very forgiving sit-on-top, perfect for tackling class 1-3 rapids, and capable of running even higher grade rapids. The boat has ample volume to keep it on top of any whitewater. Adjustable thigh straps and footbraces make it easy to get a comfortable fit. A 8” hatch behind the paddler’s back allows access to the stern. A waterbottle holder is positioned between the legs. 7 Grab handles are positioned conveniently for safety and security. 6 Scupper holes to drain water from the seat compartment round off this perfect package.

The Do It Now will be the ideal kayak school boat and also for paddlers who are afraid of being trapped inside a kayak upside down. It will also be an easy-to-use kayak for instructors and safety kayakers.

The image of the guy using it throws up an interesting question. Those thigh braces don't look easy to get out of in a capsize. In fact they look harder than a normal kayak. So while an individual who was worried about being trapped upside down in a kayak might like the concept of the sit on top. To me it looks like in reality that impression of being easier to get out of might not actually be the case! Looks like a pretty nice boat though.
Last edited by SimonMW on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:32 am

I wouldn't want to go over in one in a boulder garden! Ouch.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:55 am

The image of the guy using it throws up an interesting question. Those thigh braces don't look easy to get out of in a capsize. In fact they look harder than a normal kayak. So while an individual who was worried about being trapped upside down in a kayak might like the concept of the sit on top. To me it looks like in reality that impression of being easier to get out of might not actually be the case! Looks like a pretty nice boat though.

If you whent over you would just strighten your legs and thats it, your out, I can see what you meen but for a beginner I am sure they will not have the straps as tight if at all
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:45 am

Do you want me to get you one on order now Morsey?

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Voodoo wrote:
SimonMW wrote: The image of the guy using it throws up an interesting question. Those thigh braces don't look easy to get out of in a capsize. In fact they look harder than a normal kayak. So while an individual who was worried about being trapped upside down in a kayak might like the concept of the sit on top. To me it looks like in reality that impression of being easier to get out of might not actually be the case! Looks like a pretty nice boat though.
If you whent over you would just strighten your legs and thats it, your out, I can see what you meen but for a beginner I am sure they will not have the straps as tight if at all
Thigh straps come off too easily. If you straighten your legs, or lift the bum off the seat, you're out. I managed to almost successfully roll a SOT - "almost" because the boat would become upright, but I'd fall out of it on the way up. I was at the point of considering fitting a lap strap when I decided it would be better to go for a "real" boat ;)

They should fit airbags in the hull because if it leaks, the whole thing will fill with water and become very difficult to shift.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

callum s

Post by callum s » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:32 pm

Errm... No.

jriddell

Post by jriddell » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:40 pm

I spent some time on the tropical island of Guadeloupe recently and came across decent sit-on-tops. They have no rivers for WW paddling there but their seas are lovely and warm.

The two disciplines I discovered were wave ski for surfing and surf ski (confusingly for racing not surfing).

These are interesting disciplines of paddling and you can take them to world class standard.

So there is more to sit-on-tops than the boats we get in Britain which are mostly for people who can't be bothered to learn decent paddling.
Surf Ski racing in the Carribean
Wave ski surfing, good for spending 12 hours at a time surfing

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:53 pm

So there is more to sit-on-tops than the boats we get in Britain which are mostly for people who can't be bothered to learn decent paddling.
I think Fluid have the right idea. There is no reason why a SOT can't have a performance hull. I am a bit dubious of a capsize in a shallow rocky area though. It's bad enough whacking shoulders etc in such a situation, let alone both knees as well.

dpround

Post by dpround » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:57 pm

I think that they are on to a winner with centres and clubs, not sure about private individuals. I think the next step in the evolution will be to get rid of the thigh straps. Providing the same contact points as a sit in is perfectly possible, but it would require a more complex moulding. If I ever get a grant to buy new kayaks for the scouts, I would certainly consider that one carefully.

joules

Post by joules » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:20 pm

I ping Celliers from time to time - a great guy, loves to communicate with the paddling community and this too caught my eye, a comments from him:

.."The hull is closer to the Solo than the Detox, but very different too.
Flared sidewalls that make it super stable, very rounded ends that make it very forgiving, etc. It is really aimed at making
riverrunning as easy and safe as possible...."

Celliers also says the pricing point is due to be quite a lot lower than kayaks due to the savings in outfitting.

Its not designed to surf sea waves, more run rivers which is a different market to the traditional sit-on-tops.

Thought?: Well its not going to replace my creeker nor surf boat but it appeals as a more river-targeted SOT that you could, say buy for a family use, especially for those who don't want to be enclosed in a cockpit. It could be a useful club buy to get beginners into the basics of river running (any bad habits?). I think its being targetted at the earlier paddlers or those used to SOT who fancy a bit of river action.

I have used some of the current crop of SOT (not nimble proper surf skills where I started as a teenager) and found them to be...well planks..

I do think it could possibly have more of a planing hull to make it a cross over river/sea machine but Celliers has designed it to be super stable and forgiving. Plus probably easier to roll with a more rounded hull...

Celliers is being innovative & creative for that I applaud him.

I reckon not above grade 2/3 mind! Not a Upper Dart machine unless you have balls bigger than mine. The T? mmm maybe we will see some this year running fingers & Ski...whilst ripping up cafe wave in front of all those playboaters ;-)

Jules

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm

No thanks Rich, if I lived somewhere warm and sunny it would be more appealing.

UnderTheBridge

Post by UnderTheBridge » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:51 pm

SWEEET!!! That would be so awesome to take down the Lower Moriston, ME WANNTIE

Imagine it would also be ideal for Africa Tan/Paddle Booya!!!

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:43 pm

I think it could work well..as playboats seem to be at the peak of their design capabilities with not much further to go....and creek boats all looking the same, mabe its time for the SOT revolution in design, although I hate to say it

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”