New car time (old car)

Inland paddling
Rdscott

New car time (old car)

Post by Rdscott » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:35 pm

So my 10 year old car needs more work doing on it than its worth, and not the usual suspension bearings, were talking engin over haul,new cam belt water pump, fule pump,you know how it is it allgoesat the same time even with regular servicing and maintance everything wears out.

As i normaly do work on my own cars i want to look at older cars that arnt so complicated to work on. Now i have always been into classic cars and landrovers,and have recently changedmy job and have a littlemoreincome,sowaslooking at a land rover defender mk1 or the opposite end of the scale.A classic mini.

My question is has anyone got aclassic mini and how does it hold up with boats on the roof maximum of 2,looking at a 1.3mini. Or is amini with2 people 2 boats and all there kit for a weekend a little ambitiouse.

Dave Manby

Re: New car time (old car)

Post by Dave Manby » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:02 pm

We used to do two weeks two up in a mini to the Alps - but then they were glass boats and we only had 4 boats on the roof!

Got a VW transporter coming up for sale. I just got towed to the garage with nasty noises from the transmission! Not really a recommended buy!

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Personally i don't think either a re good paddling options unless you live close to the rivers. Both are short hop cars - the mini will be as uncomfortable as all hell full of paddling gear pulling boats on the motorway. The RR the same - awesome thing - but not great for lots of motorway driving.

If i wanted an old car - i would get an '80's huge merc estate and get it converted to LPG. Awesomeness and easy to work on!!!
White water "rider"

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Did three people, two mountain bikes and a snowboard in our mini. and boat on the roof, from Canterbury to Devon. Not so comfy, always noisy, always an issue starting in the cold and rain. Zero security, zero boot space. Roofrack one hundred percent dodgy. Used to do two up for weekends everywhere. For little back roads in the summer they are demon, in winter and on motorways the fun dissipates. Fixability is top notch, all you ever need is a hammer and a can of WD40. Mini's are mint! Way cooler than having your Mercs parked in the street! :-)

Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 pm

If you are mechanically minded (which I'm assuming you are from this post) then I was surprised to find when I bought my car that some newer cars aren't too bad to work on so something newer may suit and will definitely require less regular maintenance and less fuel than an old car!

I bought a skoda octavia 53 plate, and I have serviced it myself without any problems. It is possible to download the software to read fault codes off the internet for VAG cars, and the cable to do so is only a tenner. A Haynes manual and good toolbox will see you through most other things provided you can put some time aside and are not a clinical moron. So far I have done glow plugs, turbo pipe and sorted a sticking wastegate. Also fixed a central locking problem (this car has 284000 miles on it, not just falling to bits) and will be doing the cambelt myself soon too. Considering a car like that will probably save you a fair bit of money in fuel and be more practical.

Just my 2p.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:38 am

If you're looking at a 90/110 and/or TDI Defender then it might be worth considering a late model Range Rover classic, the diesels are simmilar to the Defender mechanically (sharing the same engines and having partially interchangable transmissions, albeit with different gear ratios) and it will be an awful lot more comfortable to drive...

If you could afford the fuel bill for the V8 then the pre-EFI models are relatively easy to work on and reliable.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:41 am

morsey wrote:Did three people, two mountain bikes and a snowboard in our mini. and boat on the roof, from Canterbury to Devon. Not so comfy, always noisy, always an issue starting in the cold and rain. Zero security, zero boot space. Roofrack one hundred percent dodgy. Used to do two up for weekends everywhere. For little back roads in the summer they are demon, in winter and on motorways the fun dissipates. Fixability is top notch, all you ever need is a hammer and a can of WD40. Mini's are mint! Way cooler than having your Mercs parked in the street! :-)
Virtually ditto.
Loved mine -- it was my first car.
It started out as a 1000c mini city and was totally gutless so I changed the engine three times finishing up with a 1300cc engine out of an MG Metro. Goddam it flew....
Used to use it to do two-up paddling trips all the time and four-up weekends away (although it had sod-all foot room behind the bucket seats I put in). Not to mention the walnut dash, little leather covered steering wheel, four enormous speakers, plush rear upholstery and lush black carpeting. Not much room for anything else inside.
It looked fantastic though with flanged arches, big fat alloy wheels, chrome nudge bars and a cooper grill....
Ah to be young again....
Problem is I had visions of spending every weekend running down to the coast and instead I spent every weekend working on it.
Great car as a second car/fun car but not ideal as a reliable paddle wagon.
I'd also suggest a big dull old estate like a merc or Volvo diesel although personally I love land rover discos and currently drive a ten year old td5.
I love everything about it and it's great for long haul driving -- as long as you can live with a car that does between 23 and 28 mpg on average.
Giles

Strad

Post by Strad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:46 am

Randy Fandango wrote: Virtually ditto.
Loved mine -- it was my first car.
It started out as a 1000c mini city and was totally gutless so I changed the engine three times finishing up with a 1300cc engine out of an MG Metro. Goddam it flew....
Used to use it to do two-up paddling trips all the time and four-up weekends away (although it had sod-all foot room behind the bucket seats I put in). Not to mention the walnut dash, little leather covered steering wheel, four enormous speakers, plush rear upholstery and lush black carpeting. Not much room for anything else inside.
It looked fantastic though with flanged arches, big fat alloy wheels, chrome nudge bars and a cooper grill....
Ah to be young again....
Problem is I had visions of spending every weekend running down to the coast and instead I spent every weekend working on it.
Great car as a second car/fun car but not ideal as a reliable paddle wagon.
I'd also suggest a big dull old estate like a merc or Volvo diesel although personally I love land rover discos and currently drive a ten year old td5.
I love everything about it and it's great for long haul driving -- as long as you can live with a car that does between 23 and 28 mpg on average.
Giles
I'm sure I remember overtaking that mini heading down seven mile lane with a k2 on the roof :-)
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Two extremes! A Mini or a Landy. Go for the Landy - as long as your mechanical skills are at least at a basic level, repairs and maintenacne is simple. You will need those skills incidentally. I recommend adding welding skills as well. Your fuel bill will be fairly massive, but the ability of the thing to go anywhere and swallow anything more than makes up for it.

If you dont know Landies, take someone who does when you go looking. "They dont rust Sir" - all lies, the chassis on an old one will almost certainly be rusty, as will the bulkhead, and the door frames. They leak like sieves (water in, oil and other fluids out), are uncomfortable, cold and noisy.

I had three over the years - and I miss them a lot.

Mike.

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Practicaly the mini is out,i would love a big old estate unfortunatly being big oldestatescomewith big oldengins of which insurancecompanys say your 23 were going to charge you alot.

I have rebuilt 3 land rovers whilst growing up 2 ended up being very good trial motors,not to do with our rebuilding but that was there purpose,and one ended up being a meaty road leagal series 3v8with a 3.5ltr petrol rover v8.

As for fule consumption my current car does roughly25milesto the gallon on a good day due to it being so broken.

Another reason a landrover would be good is my parents run a scout groupe with akayaktrailer and a canoe trailer,they have a little moremoney than me and have nicer cars soon the one used for towing will be replaced and probably not with one with as much capability.

The reason i amlooking at older cars is that icandowork on them unlike new cars that you need tobe an electrition and a mechanic toworkon them.

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Just a thought from someone who has had minis and land rovers in the long distant past and bleedin' well hated the site of them eventually!!!!

So you want something small engined due to insurance, cheap to run, maybe 4 wheel drive to get you anywhere and ultra reliable cos even though you CAN do repairs work doesn't necessarily mean you'd want to, especially when there's paddling to be doing!

Ok I've never had one but friends in the past have sworn by them............ so how about an old Subaru Justy? Meant to be bomber! Can you sacrifice chic for practicality? There are a couple on ebay. !!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:10 pm

+1

If you want a bomber paddle wagon then it has to be an old Suby. It won't matter if you are mechanically minded or not they never break.
dave

Jon Davies

Post by Jon Davies » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:07 pm

You may well be very surprised on the insurance front, it is not as simple as insurance groups it is about what young people statistically crash as well. I have had a few high powered cars and I am only 24 now. I had an Vauxhall Omega estate which is what the police used as pursuit cars, insurance group 21, 215bhp with the chip. Insurance was £62 a month which was less than lots of cars like fiesta's, corsa's, saxo's etc etc etc.

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Insurance is also effected by location and not just the area,theprimiumforthe village ilivein is high anyway but onmy next door addressit is lower than on my address,thisisbecause wehave 6carsin the householdone is a classic ,military vehcle,the others areallvery newexceptmine2of them are high powered and one of them is a classed as sports performance, god knows how a volvo fits in to that catagorie but when your in it you understand, also an ex police car.

Unfortunatly forme i find £62 a month alittle steep, My insurance just went up from £42 a month to £58 just for renewing nochanges or accidents infact my no claims went to 6 years.I know im tight. which is odd as i dont reallycareabout fule consumption but the landrover would be £26a month insurance.

The wholereasonforlooking at cars like thiswasiwant to do work on them, i work 6am till 2pm mostdayswith 2 days a week off and although love the outdoors i also love playing with engines.

Dave B

Post by Dave B » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:24 pm

My paddle wagon is a morris 1000 estate, by the way the wood is strutual on then. For short trips I have got 3 kayaks on the roof rack, though if I had some up rights should be able to fit four kayaks or two open canoes. Mind you it would be slow up hills and there would be no suspension. I would normally limit to 3 kayaks, people and gear (yes it will fit) or two open canoes, people and kit.

I have uprated the brakes, so the car will stop now, and tweaked the engine so it has slightly more power.

The advantage of using an older car is that it is simpler to repair, the keys are not electronic (so it does not matter how wet they get, and with the plastic seats you can drive home in your wetsuit.

The down side is that you may be trying to fix, repair the car rather than go paddling.

Vulch

Post by Vulch » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:44 am

My first car was a Mini - excellent. Everything has been said above.

My current car is a 110 Defender - excellent. Everything has been said above. You clearly know about them too. I've got a 200tdi in mine and swear by it.

However, I have always wanted a Volvo Amazon. Link below. MPG is probably not great. Fixability will be fantastic. Street cred will be through the roof. Will carry anything you want it to. And you can kip in the back - because it's big, folds flat, and you are young.

The only reason I don't have one is that I stoically refuse to spend more that 2 1/2 grand on a car.

If you get one, I will be jealous as hell.

Vulch

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1181/7180 ... 42c2_z.jpg

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:51 am

Randy Fandango wrote: I love land rover discos
I agree with Randy. You could buy a Discovery 1 (200TDI, the best engine)) for a few hundred pounds. Get one with no sunroofs (they all leak and rot out the floor) and no terminal corrosion on the rear floor under the carpet, inner sills, front wheel inner arches, outriggers and rear crossmember (or get that MIG working), and mileage about 150,000 or less. You'll get 30 mpg if you drive it right, huge carrying capacity, simple maintenance, aluminium body and great comfort. I've had mine for 21 years.
Nick.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:24 am

nickcrowhurst wrote:You could buy a Discovery 1 (200TDI, the best engine)) for a few hundred pounds. Get one with no sunroofs (they all leak and rot out the floor) and no terminal corrosion on the rear floor under the carpet, inner sills, front wheel inner arches, outriggers and rear crossmember (or get that MIG working), and mileage about 150,000 or less. You'll get 30 mpg if you drive it right, huge carrying capacity, simple maintenance, aluminium body and great comfort. I've had mine for 21 years.
Nick.
I had two of these and loved them (though mine were 300 TDIs).
In your position I'd buy another in a snap and as Nick has said you can pick them up for a few hundred quid.
Of course there are a hell of a lot of rotten old sheds out there too but that just all adds to the fun of disco ownership.
Oh yes -- if you did buy a disco you'd also need one of these:
http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/9273845/reviews.htm
Giles

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:19 am

At 5 foot 7 I need one of themfor anything bigger than an hatch back. My fathers jeep is a royal pain in the ass but hewont letmeclimb on that.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:31 am

Rdscott wrote:At 5 foot 7 I need one of themfor anything bigger than an hatch back.
I brought a Thule Hullavator from the USA. The main difficulty when using it is not to appear to be unbearably smug : )

Here's a demo:

Nick.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”